Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Goodbye Nexus S 4G (and Sprint), hello Nexus 4! Anyone else switching?

Even with Cyanogenmod, this phone is getting past its due. So I bought the Nexus 4! Anyone else making that switch?

From using the Nexus S, I really liked the idea of a Nexus device, stock OS and rooting (along with custom ROMs) but I hated waiting for updates. So the only way I'd go with a Nexus again would be if Google had control over the updates.

Default Re: Goodbye Nexus S 4G (and Sprint), hello Nexus 4! Anyone else switching?

Last week to the t-mobile pre-paid plan. Too early to tell, but so far so good!

I don't miss Sprint, but I do miss the 4inch form factor a little.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth 4.2.2/Lean

Default Re: Goodbye Nexus S 4G (and Sprint), hello Nexus 4! Anyone else switching?

I will be switching early next year. Not due to the device! Yes it is old, but Sprint has had my area in the dark for too long... Every other carrier in my area has blazing fast 4g. Instead of upgrading current 4g towers they could be lighting up cities that have dial up like speeds. Suck it Sprint! I want a divorce!!!

I'm locked into Sprint for now, so the 4 is a no go for me. Lack of LTE is an issue for that device as well.

ROM
    DanteROM(w/Hydro)/CAI CM9

While it lacks LTE, it has HSPA+, and from my experiences, the two are similar (unless you're, say, trying to upload a video from your phone, something I never do). Also, since it requires no new hardware, I expect you'll see HSPA+ rollout to be faster and smoother than LTE, should the carriers deign to upgrade 3G with HSPA+ in smaller areas for cost.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
    Last week to the t-mobile pre-paid plan. Too early to tell, but so far so good!

I don't miss Sprint, but I do miss the 4inch form factor a little.
    I agree on the size. The perfect size would be 4.3".

How's the speed/service of TMobile vs Sprint? What about the radios in the N4? The Nexus S 4G had bad radios. Is the battery life better?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I'm locked into Sprint for now, so the 4 is a no go for me. Lack of LTE is an issue for that device as well.
    How long do you have left? I *think* Sprint might let you out for a prorated cost of the $150 cancellation fee. So if you have 6 months left, you'd only owe $37.50 to get out of your contract.

Also, the lack of LTE being an issue depends on where you are. In some areas, TMobile's HSPA+ consistently gets 15-20mbps.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - for the moment

+1

Sprint's marginal service, even in & around metro DC, just sucks. I'm looking at taking the hit on the cancellation fee & going to T-Mo on a pre-paid plan. I figure I'll wait until the new year and see how the first wave of the Nexus 4 issues & unforeseen bugs are handled by Google & LG.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    How long do you have left? I *think* Sprint might let you out for a prorated cost of the $150 cancellation fee. So if you have 6 months left, you'd only owe $37.50 to get out of your contract.

Also, the lack of LTE being an issue depends on where you are. In some areas, TMobile's HSPA+ consistently gets 15-20mbps.
    I just checked and apparently, they do prorate it but only to a point and they upped the cancellation fee to $350!
    Learn about Early Termination Fee

ROM
    MIUI, CM9, Bugless Beast

My contract is up and I think I'm going to try out a Nexus 4 with T-Mo's $30 plan in January. I have Sprint Wimax here, but looking forward to seeing whether ST or T-Mo prepaid can offer more consistent coverage.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Well I just gave a friend my ns4g traded a sgs2 and got a free Gnex with a outterbox case and I'm in Chicago so lte ALL over the city

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Surely I'm not the only one to notice how well-placed the lock is...
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Surely I'm not the only one to notice how well-placed the lock is...
    Hahahaha

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2