Worth going to Nexus S?

railstop

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the HTC Hero. Yes old, but a classic. It was the first android device on Sprint. So now my contract is ready for a new phone, thankfully and ironically here comes the Nexus. I am running CMOD 6 and I still hate my phone, although less since I got rid of Sense.
My question is, should I get the Sprint Nexus S or should I wait (painfully) for the next Nexus?
I absolutely hate HTC Sense. My brother in law has the Evo and it still seems Sense is a waste of resources. I'm an Apple fan and it seems the iPhone will never come to Sprint. So I will stick with Android. Is there any indication a Nexus with better specs will be out soon or should the S be enough, Thanks for the help!

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well the Nexus S is a great phone. Dual core isn't even supported in Fro-Yo or Gingerbread so having dual-core would be pointless until you get an update to Android that supports dual-core which right now only Honeycomb does and Honeycomb is only for tablets. Also think about it, when will those phones get the update to the Android version that supports dual-core. (Maybe when two newer versions are already out)
The Camera on the Nexus S is fantastic. It takes great photos and AWESOME video recording. It doesn't record HD but that isn't necessarily a hardware limitation it could be because Gingerbread doesn't support HD recording, maybe the next update will.
What is great about the Sprint Nexus S is that is has Sprint's WiMax radio. It gets faster speeds but also the T-Mobile Nexus S gets faster speeds because HSPA+ makes T-Mobile's 3G faster.
Well the Nexus S came out about a year after the Nexus One so maybe the next Nexus will come out a year after the Nexus S came out so maybe around December or November. I don't know if you want to wait that long. The Nexus S is a great pure Google device that will last you a long time. Think of it like this, you will always be one Android version ahead of the other devices.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

harpstar

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I think the Nexus S will be a fantastic phone but no phone is future proof. Maybe spend a little more and go with a one year contract. Its too bad they're taking away the one year upgrade on a two year contract for premier members.

railstop

May 11, 2010
Visit site
@Baconator; thanks for the reply, pretty much what I was looking for. I do know a lot about tech being an network analyst for enterprise. I don't follow the Android sector much.
@harpstar; I agree the one year upgrade problem.

The Nexus S may be the best phone they offer in my opinion. Especially for someone wanting the vanilla Android experience. Just have to wait and see what performance will be. Battery performance will be very important

Last edited:

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I will be upgrading from epic to samsung.
First, I want thinner phone, I do not use the keyboard.
Second, no more sprint/samsung dependencies.

I am fully rooted and running rooms, but would prefer not to have to do this
In order to make phone functional for what I need. I will root for tethering.

I do appreciate thhe explanation of dual core above. I know this is not the fastest phone or biggest whatevers coming out, but I do like samsung's hardware and this will stay updated and do everything I need for a long time to come. I will have to find new forum to read so hope de Dolores jump on this phone

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
can someone clarify tethering - i see nmoreman says he'll 'root for tethering' - do you have to root? can you just download pdanet? i'm looking into the epic, evo or nexus s (i'm on sprint) and want to tether -but i'm not a rooter! thanks!

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
hard to say what will or won't work before its released :)

you may need to root or pda net might work. weather or not your a rooter shouldn't matter lol. do what needs to be done to get what you want.

bouche123

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The Camera on the Nexus S is fantastic. It takes great photos and AWESOME video recording. It doesn't record HD but that isn't necessarily a hardware limitation it could be because Gingerbread doesn't support HD recording, maybe the next update will.

Do you know if this will be included in Ice Cream Sandwich? It seems like a pretty big limitation since the Nexus S's camera will support HD video, but the OS limits the phone's capabilities.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Stock Android does not support HD video recording, well Honeycomb does but that is tablets. The Galaxy S phones record in HD so I would think the Nexus S is capable. If HD recording is in Honeycomb then I imagine that it will be in the next Android version.

Reactions: bouche123

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S seems like it would be worth getting. It really dopesnt compare well to the EVO 3D that will be coming out shortly after, but it will still be one of the best Android devices on the market I am contemplating getting one. We will see though.

railstop

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't say that the Evo 3d interests me at all. I am not a fan of Sense at all. My preferences are for vanilla. boring, I know. but then I can add what I want, not what they want me to have. Plus the bonus of getting future releases when released, not waiting to see if my device is on the list and getting zero updates from manufacturers.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
can someone clarify tethering - i see nmoreman says he'll 'root for tethering' - do you have to root? can you just download pdanet? i'm looking into the epic, evo or nexus s (i'm on sprint) and want to tether -but i'm not a rooter! thanks!

Well, you do not need to root your phone in order to get a tethering service you can call Sprint and get it done ($30 per month). On the other hand, you can get FREE tethering service if you root your phone. First root your phone then go to the android market and get wifi tethering. This is a free app. Good luck!!! :)

Last edited:

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

nope sadly enough the nexus s 4g will be forever stuck with 480p, the sgs phones all have a post processing chip to allow it to handle hd video, in order to fit all the new snazzy stuff in there (nfc, gyroscope etc etc) they had to skimp on some things

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Video recording in 720p misisng? Eh..not a biggie for me. I rather take NFC technology and constant updates directly from Google.

krische

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, you do not need to root your phone in order to get a tethering service you can call Sprint and get it done ($30 per month). On the other hand, you can get FREE tethering service if you root your phone. First root your phone then go to the android market and get wifi tethering. This is a free app. Good luck!!! :)

I'll have to look into this too. I currently have a Palm Pre, and free tethering on there is a piece of cake. It really comes in handy and is a feature I would want on Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12