I'm a total Nexus S fanboy. Ask away

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I remember when I used to work on the evo people would swear by the camera app vignette. Worth checking out if your looking at camera apps. That was the most popular at the time.

Reactions: gtpimp97

geof

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to this forum....great info and friendly folks...

I've got 2 NS4G's on order from Wirefly. I am coming from a Hero and the Mrs. has an original Pre.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is moving apps and their associated data from the old phone. If the NS4G had a removable SD card I would just plug in the one from my Hero. Do I copy everything to a PC and then onto the NS4G. I currently use Astro file manager.

A related question is What happens if you do a reset of the NS4G? Are you going to lose everything on the internal SD card? Apps can be replaced. Data is another matter.

Thanks in advance...

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this forum....great info and friendly folks...

I've got 2 NS4G's on order from Wirefly. I am coming from a Hero and the Mrs. has an original Pre.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is moving apps and their associated data from the old phone. If the NS4G had a removable SD card I would just plug in the one from my Hero. Do I copy everything to a PC and then onto the NS4G. I currently use Astro file manager.

That is what I did... copied what I needed to transfer from my Evo's SD Card to the PC, then pasted to the Nexus' storage. Quick, easy and effective.

A related question is What happens if you do a reset of the NS4G? Are you going to lose everything on the internal SD card? Apps can be replaced. Data is another matter.

Thanks in advance...

The Nexus has two separate menu options, one for factory reset - won't touch your storage data and a seprate one to clear the storage data only.

Reactions: geof

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I remember when I used to work on the evo people would swear by the camera app vignette. Worth checking out if your looking at camera apps. That was the most popular at the time.

Vignette is working ok right now. It seems sluggish compared to the stock camera app, but does have the advantage of more setting/controls. Still not sold on whether its' pictures are better though.

dallen13

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I love my Evo, but am tempted to switch away from Android to an iPhone 4 primarily because I can't handle the battery life. I use my phone a lot and, especially with the poor reception I get a lot of the time, my battery rarely (if ever) can make it through a day. It really reduces the quality of the phone to me because if I can't use the features that kill battery for fear that I won't be able to make calls and text (the obvious most important parts of the phone), the features don't really mean anything. So, what I'm wondering is, have you used an evo significantly and, if you have, does the upgrade in battery life with the NS on Sprint make it worth the upgrade?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I love my Evo, but am tempted to switch away from Android to an iPhone 4 primarily because I can't handle the battery life. I use my phone a lot and, especially with the poor reception I get a lot of the time, my battery rarely (if ever) can make it through a day. It really reduces the quality of the phone to me because if I can't use the features that kill battery for fear that I won't be able to make calls and text (the obvious most important parts of the phone), the features don't really mean anything. So, what I'm wondering is, have you used an evo significantly and, if you have, does the upgrade in battery life with the NS on Sprint make it worth the upgrade?

I come from an Evo and an Epic, both great phones. I have loaded the same apps on my Nexus and use it in much the same way as my Evo. At the end of the day, where my Evo's battery would be in 20-30% area, my Nexus is showing around 50% most days. So at least for me, there is some battery life improvement.

Of course your results will be different depending on how you use your phone and how many background syncing processes you use. The improved battery life is by no means exceptional, but is better. If you have a bad signal causing your phone to constantly "hunt" for connection, I feel the Nexus will fare no better in terms of battery life for you. It may then make sense to change to a carrier that offers better coverage on your particular area.

singu31

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a 3G toggle widget that works well for Nexus S 4G?

I am wondering if there is a good 3G toggle widget for the Nexus S 4G. I tried using the APNdroid after reading some good reviews but it doesnt seem to work for me. Any other suggestions for a good 3G toggle widget app (free or paid).

Also I had a question regarding the display. I see that the Display of the phone is the biggest battery consumer- around 45% even though i didnt use the phone very long (about 1 hr total over the course of the day). I have set my Brightness settings to the least setting without enabling Auto Brightness. Is there any reason why Display is showing up as the biggest power hog when i havent used the phone for a long time.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Brand new Nexus owner here!

I've been out of the smartphone arena for over a year now. My last one was a Palm 755p.

I've been thru the entire thread and it's been very informative. I do have a couple of questions (i'm sure there will be more) and I apologize in advance for bothering.

I've noticed from a couple of screenshots where the cell standby is quite low.
My cell standby is using about 46% of the battery.
Is this unusual?
And how should I "break in" the battery. Run it completely down? or is throwing it on a charger whenever available going to be ok?

BTW, I am very pleased with this device. Can't wait to really put it to good use.

tomkat101

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to make picture files or folders "hidden" in the stock gallery app? And if there isn't is the a 3rd party app that can? Also, is there anyway to move pictures from one folder to another without hooking up to the pc? And... what does the update profile and update prl menu items do... I understand its a profile and prl update, but what is a sprint profile and what's a prl?

Last edited:

Zerocool84

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyway to make picture files or folders "hidden" in the stock gallery app? And if there isn't is the a 3rd party app that can? Also, is there anyway to move pictures from one folder to another without hooking up to the pc? And... what does the update profile and update prl menu items do... I understand its a profile and prl update, but what is a sprint profile and what's a prl?

Photovault is an app for a buck that you can make hidden galleries.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.android.PhotoVault&feature=search_result

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I know you can hide an entire music folder from the stock Music player by adding an empty file with filename ".nomedia" into that directory (you would need to hook up to a computer to do this). I don't know if this would work for the gallery app, but you could try it easily and just delete the empty file if it doesn't work.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Astro...you can set a folder to hidden (it basically just renames it with a period in front). It doesn't password protect, but it keeps images within that folder from showing up in the gallery or Quickpic or whatever image app you use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad