I'm a total Nexus S fanboy. Ask away

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't even try to hide the fact that I'm a fanboy of the highest caliber when it comes to the Nexus S. Sprint and I parted ways a while back when I finally got some choice in 3G providers in my area, and I thought nothing could replace my lowly Hero -- but the Nexus S does it. Feels good man.

Anyhoo, I've been using one since 10 minutes after my local Best buy doors opened on launch day, so fire away with mundane questions (tech stuff might differ slightly between my GSM version and the Sprint version, but not too much) and I'll do my best to answer them.

And welcome to the best phone currently available on any platform, or any carrier.

Reactions: vertigosrs

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What's the quadrant on a stock Nexus S compared to the EVO?

Stock Evo -- ~1300
Stock Nexus S -- ~2200
Hacked to hell and back Evo -- ~3100
Hacked to hell and back Nexus S -- ~4500 with zero score added in for 2D and 3D (my quadrant version is old and doesn't support 2.3.3 on the NS, and I refuse to buy again because I'm stubborn like that)

But to be honest, stock NS is as fast as you'll ever need it to be. I don't read much into benchmark numbers. NS hacked quadrant screenie attached for those that do.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm so tempted to go nexus s 4g to replace my evo instead of an evo 3d. Wish the nexus had an led for notifications. Are there ways to do visual notifications when rooted?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: RamboDroid

Label facing right

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Will this help me do better with "tha ladies"?
Seriously though, do you know if HID security cards can be loaded into the nfc chip?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't even try to hide the fact that I'm a fanboy of the highest caliber when it comes to the Nexus S. Sprint and I parted ways a while back when I finally got some choice in 3G providers in my area, and I thought nothing could replace my lowly Hero -- but the Nexus S does it. Feels good man.

Anyhoo, I've been using one since 10 minutes after my local Best buy doors opened on launch day, so fire away with mundane questions (tech stuff might differ slightly between my GSM version and the Sprint version, but not too much) and I'll do my best to answer them.

And welcome to the best phone currently available on any platform, or any carrier.

What would you consider advantages of the Nexus S 4G over the iPhone 4, besides the obvious 4G of the Nexus? Those are the 2 I'm racking my brain over at the moment.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
How is the Google voice integration?
If im not mistaken it has the new sprint google voice with the cell number as your Gvoice number and all the new do dads correct?

And for anyone thinking of grabbing this over an Evo3D, I cant blame you one bit (especially if its locked up as much as the Desire S). A buddy has a tmo NS that he allowed me to hack/root ( :D ) and its faster than you'll ever need a phone to be, definately kills my overclocked/rooted up evo.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Will this help me do better with "tha ladies"?
Seriously though, do you know if HID security cards can be loaded into the nfc chip?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

AFAIK the hardware supports card emulation. Based on the few apps I've seen so far, it should READ the data, but I'm not sure if the api is built to correctly store it or transmit it back. I've made myself a note to find out at Google I/O :)

What would you consider advantages of the Nexus S 4G over the iPhone 4, besides the obvious 4G of the Nexus? Those are the 2 I'm racking my brain over at the moment.

No computer connection needed to do anything
No iTunes
No need to worry if an upgrade will bust your jailbreak
No proprietary connectors
Software is subjective.

I have no hate for Apple products (except for their computer OS) but the above keeps me from using any of them.

How is the Google voice integration?
If im not mistaken it has the new sprint google voice with the cell number as your Gvoice number and all the new do dads correct?

And for anyone thinking of grabbing this over an Evo3D, I cant blame you one bit (especially if its locked up as much as the Desire S). A buddy has a tmo NS that he allowed me to hack/root ( :D ) and its faster than you'll ever need a phone to be, definately kills my overclocked/rooted up evo.

I helped Josh (new blog writer, say hey next time you see him) test out the new GVoice on his Evo. It worked just like he wanted it to. He wrote it all up on the blog last night -- http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-google-voice-early-invites-still-going-out-and-yours-truly
It should work exactly the same on the NS4G. On my T-Mo NS, G Voice works great. I use it for both calls and texts.

should I worry about getting a case at all and if so which one?
Going to depend on how droppy you are :p

It's got a small hump at the bottom on the back, and fits pretty good in your hand. But there's no texture to the back, so it could get slippery. I have to take a bunch of phones to Google i/o so I went ahead and got a case. I ended up with this one http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-s-case-review-seidio-innocase-active-x-samsung-nexus-s . I usually have a giveaway after I review a case for the blog, but I liked this one enough to keep it.

Reactions: maverick96

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for those EXTREMELY VALID points. I agree, I'm now using Amazon's cloud drive and the Nexus S 4G will be my next device, if Sprint would just release the damn thing already...

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if I will be able to download Sprint Navigation AKA Telenav from the market somehow for the Nexus S 4G? I am not the biggest fan of Google Nav because of the fact the voice directions sound like they are coming from Ventrilo or something of that nature. I have become quite used to Sprint Nav on my Pre as it always finds location fast and has a clear speaking person who doesn't run on sentences like a 4th grader...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for those EXTREMELY VALID points. I agree, I'm now using Amazon's cloud drive and the Nexus S 4G will be my next device, if Sprint would just release the damn thing already...

You're welcome :) After the Thunderbolt fiasco, I almost hate to repeat rumors. But a friend in a position to know these sort of things says May 8th.

Do you know if I will be able to download Sprint Navigation AKA Telenav from the market somehow for the Nexus S 4G? I am not the biggest fan of Google Nav because of the fact the voice directions sound like they are coming from Ventrilo or something of that nature. I have become quite used to Sprint Nav on my Pre as it always finds location fast and has a clear speaking person who doesn't run on sentences like a 4th grader...

Sprint has said that the Nexus S will come with no Sprint software or services installed, but Telenav will be available. I imagine it will be on Sprint's website as a download.

Reactions: xo96

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Awesome

:cool:Im glad to see someone is such a fan of the NS! Theres nothing wrong with being a fanboy and wanting to know everything possible about your favorite device. I'm still on a blackberry, but have been looking at android devices since December. I was looking at an evo, but have totally fallen in love with the NS4G and have found myself looking to learn everything possible about it, and this thread has answered a lot of questions so thank you for creating it! :cool:

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The only point of hesitation for me is the lack of LED. You mentioned that BLN is the solution, however I never felt the need to root so I know absolutely nothing about it and feel intimidated by it. I don't want to turn this into a rooting thread, but if I root in order to get BLN, and the next official Android update gets released, is it pretty easy to keep updating?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The only point of hesitation for me is the lack of LED. You mentioned that BLN is the solution, however I never felt the need to root so I know absolutely nothing about it and feel intimidated by it. I don't want to turn this into a rooting thread, but if I root in order to get BLN, and the next official Android update gets released, is it pretty easy to keep updating?

It's no harder updating your kernel the second time than it is the first time. And I'm sure if a new OS version is released, developers will quickly get an updated kernel with BLN support out.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay