Nexus s 4g has no 720p recording?

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is true, but if it is, is this sort of a let down for most people, or not so much? I guess its not such a big deal for me since I rarely use my phone for recording, but it just seems like EVERY high end android phone should have this feature now-a-days.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk

blu8503

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is true, but if it is, is this sort of a let down for most people, or not so much? I guess its not such a big deal for me since I rarely use my phone for recording, but it just seems like EVERY high end android phone should have this feature now-a-days.

Stock Gingerbread only supports 480p, is my understanding of it

JamesCarnley

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I see.. so does that mean it could possibly obtain 720p recording with future updates?

Honeycomb already supports HD video recording, so yes.

Ice Cream is most likely the release that will add phone support to Honeycomb and then we will have all of the improvements made in recent builds such as this one.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb already supports HD video recording, so yes.

Ice Cream is most likely the release that will add phone support to Honeycomb and then we will have all of the improvements made in recent builds such as this one.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the info!

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to use one of the Samsung Android camera apps on the Nexus S 4G to shoot 720 video?

Unfortunately not with any applications no. Personally it's some what of a letdown. However for me most phones that sported a 720p video camera were just awful quality. I found that the 480p on the Nexus S produced much better videos then most 720p ones. Yeah it is smaller, but the quality is pretty good.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately not with any applications no. Personally it's some what of a letdown. However for me most phones that sported a 720p video camera were just awful quality. I found that the 480p on the Nexus S produced much better videos then most 720p ones. Yeah it is smaller, but the quality is pretty good.

Yep, this. Just because a phone can shoot in 720p or 1080p for that matter, doesn't mean better quality. Just like a camera with higher megapixels doesn't mean it shoots in better quality. in fact, with the tiny sensors on these phones, the more you crank up the megapixels/resolution, you are just introducing noise/artifacts/pixelation/smearing into your pictures and video.

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
There certainly is a lot of heated debate on this topic over at XDA. Some people claim the NS4G has hardware that should be capable of 720p (or greater) and it's just a software limitation....others claim it's both hardware and software. I didn't read all 100 pages so this is just an fyi.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Wow, is this really true? We'll be able to shoot 720p? cool.

Really, the things I wish they'd included in Nexus S:

1. More RAM
2. Gorilla Glass
3. Dual core
4. 720p

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
There certainly is a lot of heated debate on this topic over at XDA. Some people claim the NS4G has hardware that should be capable of 720p (or greater) and it's just a software limitation....others claim it's both hardware and software. I didn't read all 100 pages so this is just an fyi.

The hardware can handle it, the internals are identical to the Galaxy S line. Which do in fact have 720p video recording. 720p recording is not built into the vanilla ROM software. So the truth is, the software is to blame.