1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod mod 9

Default Is sprint even a good carrier?

Ive been researching this for awhile and it seems to be that t-mobile is the better National carrier now that sprints voice and data coverage seems to have decreased by half!! So is it true? Is t-mobile better? Is sprint going to fix its coverage? Not sure if I want to switch anymore plz help. Heres some more info if you want to read.

I was told by a forum member that Sprint is renegotiating roaming contracts and that the maps will change in a couple of weeks. It makes sense to me....
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod mod 9

Well my family is now contract free from Verizon we were set on sprint and i was set on the nexus s 4g, but if t-mobile is just as good as sprint i think i would rather get the Lg g2x.

Quote Originally Posted by icedcoffee10702 View Post
    Well my family is now contract free from Verizon we were set on sprint and i was set on the nexus s 4g, but if t-mobile is just as good as sprint i think i would rather get the Lg g2x.
    T Mobile is no where near as good as Sprint coverage wise. You also have to take into consideration how CDMA which is Sprints technology penetrates walls much better than T Mobiles GSM network. Ya T-Mobiles network is faster but only when your in good coverage and not inside a building. I had T Mobile for 3 weeks and I could have 5 bars outside of a hospital and drop to 1 or no bars inside. Sprint and Verizon usually maintain signal much better. Just get sprint man with the Nexus S,Evo 3D,Atrix 4G,and most likely Pre 3 coming it would be of your best interest. Plus your supporting the underdog in the USA if you go Sprint because T-Mobile will soon be AT&T's property and they will monopolize the nation along with Verizon...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod mod 9

That's very interesting to know, i thought all gsm and cdma networks were basically the same except for speed wise. Yeah if this deal with att and t-mobile goes down which I don't will happen (unless im putting to much faith in the government) it would suck. Hopefully Verizon like sues them with sprint.

Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

Yeah, I'm getting cold feet about getting this phone now. I've read they lost a bunch of towers and their coverage is garbage now. Look at a VZW map, compared to a sprint map. Its a tough switch.

Quote Originally Posted by generous View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting cold feet about getting this phone now. I've read they lost a bunch of towers and their coverage is garbage now. Look at a VZW map, compared to a sprint map. Its a tough switch.
    No change of service at all in my area.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Building penetration has more to do with what MHZ, or frequency the carrier is operating on. That is why Verizon, and AT&T seem to have such good coverage in buildings, etc. They own the low spectrum (800MHZ) which carries a signal as farther, and is more capable of penetrating walls, etc. Sprint and T-Mobile both use higher frequency bands (1900MHZ) that dont travel as far, and have weaker penetration, but have higher data throughput. I have to say that I have yet to notice a difference in coverage where I live, but recently my wife was vacationing in AZ, and had many issues with the reduced coverage there. Makes me nervous, as I have five lines with Sprint, and we all go to AZ regularly.

This is also the reason that AT&T is trying to purchase T-Mobile, as it would give them access to the 700MHZ spectrum that T-Mobile bought in the FCC auction in 2008. This would basically leave Sprint with only the 2500MHZ spectrum that they are currently using for Wimax, and would basically guarantee that Wimax never has good penetration.
    Last edited by Anonymoose; 04-30-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

Sprint has seemed to have a drop in coverage. For two days I went from 3-4 bars of 1XEVDO to 0-2 bars of 1X and could barely make calls or send texts. I emailed Sprint who said it would be 1 business day before I heard from them, but ended up emailing me back in 2 hours. They said they've had no change in their coverage maps and no outages or reports of down towers in my area. The guy apologized repeatedly, asked me to power cycle my phones batter, then said if I saw no change in service, to call the number he gave me which he said was a direct line to a tech support rep who was willing to do tests on my phone to see if it was on my end or their end. I ended up waiting until the next day and magically my phones back to 3-4 bars of 1XEVDO all the time no matter where I go now. So I ended up just emailing him back saying the problem took care of itself.

Where i live, i get full bars about 80% of the places i go. The rest i am at about 3 bars. And i have 4g coverage as well everywhere i go. For me, they are awsome. Hut its all going to deoend on where you live.

Sent from my Inspiration
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Cyanogenmod mod 9

Hopefully they will work out their roaming deals with Verizon or it seems like their the worst national carrier.Your post to be paying national coverage not just coverage in your area.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Building penetration has more to do with what MHZ, or frequency the carrier is operating on. That is why Verizon, and AT&T seem to have such good coverage in buildings, etc. They own the low spectrum (800MHZ) which carries a signal as farther, and is more capable of penetrating walls, etc. Sprint and T-Mobile both use higher frequency bands (1900MHZ) that dont travel as far, and have weaker penetration, but have higher data throughput. I have to say that I have yet to notice a difference in coverage where I live, but recently my wife was vacationing in AZ, and had many issues with the reduced coverage there. Makes me nervous, as I have five lines with Sprint, and we all go to AZ regularly.

This is also the reason that AT&T is trying to purchase T-Mobile, as it would give them access to the 700MHZ spectrum that T-Mobile bought in the FCC auction in 2008. This would basically leave Sprint with only the 2500MHZ spectrum that they are currently using for Wimax, and would basically guarantee that Wimax never has good penetration.
    What part of AZ? I am in Phoenix and I have Sprint my girlfriend has T-mobile and I always get good coverage here in the valley my girlfriends T-mobile cell always drops calls, but her data rate is pretty fast. There is just no 4G coverage here in the valley. I am gonna hate to pay $10 extra dollars per month for something I can't use but my corp. discount should negate the $10 difference
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

The 10 is for everything now so it doesn't matter if you have 4g. Lol. It was just a smart phone price hike.

I get 20% off. Doesn't count toward that though. I don't know why..

I've been on a family plan with Sprint for a little over 2 years. Haven't had any major issues. A few times service was down, but went back up within an hour. I had an original iPhone on AT&T, my bill was over $90 a month, on the family plan, with insurance, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited texting, and unlimited data, i'm right at $60 a month with the Evo. I'm not too concerned with getting locked into a contract with the Nexus S, i'll probably pick up the Best Buy Buyback thing in case something comes out within the next 2 years.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

A close friend used to work for T Mobile, he still kept his Sprint personal phone because the coverage was so much better. T Mobile was apparently developed originally for truckers so it's great on the highway but terrible once you get away from the highway

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    T Mobile is no where near as good as Sprint coverage wise. You also have to take into consideration how CDMA which is Sprints technology penetrates walls much better than T Mobiles GSM network. Ya T-Mobiles network is faster but only when your in good coverage and not inside a building. I had T Mobile for 3 weeks and I could have 5 bars outside of a hospital and drop to 1 or no bars inside. Sprint and Verizon usually maintain signal much better. Just get sprint man with the Nexus S,Evo 3D,Atrix 4G,and most likely Pre 3 coming it would be of your best interest. Plus your supporting the underdog in the USA if you go Sprint because T-Mobile will soon be AT&T's property and they will monopolize the nation along with Verizon...
    You have a good point. Sprint will be soon the underdog company. I believe it will be bought by Verizon in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    please explain why Sprint has TERRIBLE signal strength in my company's buildings....they hardly get service inside almost all of our buildings and ZERO signal strength in a few offices...most of the time i need to go outside when i am finished programming a phone (so the network data services will update)
    and my ATT phone NEVER loses signal strength inside the building

Quote Originally Posted by circleinsidebox View Post
    please explain why Sprint has TERRIBLE signal strength in my company's buildings....they hardly get service inside almost all of our buildings and ZERO signal strength in a few offices...most of the time i need to go outside when i am finished programming a phone (so the network data services will update)

I do remember reading somewhere that Sprint was making changes with their towers or something. Something to the effect of using less towers, but getting the signal they send out to travel further. Could be part of the reason for everyone seeing less coverage. Sprint needs to get their roaming agreements in order, and quick! I do remember reading that the FCC is forcing all carriers to allow data roaming on their networks, so this should alleviate some issues for Sprint, for how long though, who knows.

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Here around my house there is not signal of Sprint at all. I called them 8 months ago. Sprint sent me the Airwave box. I had signal since then. Now I have problem with the signal even with the box now. I believe some people next door have Sprint and use my box as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2001 View Post
    Here around my house there is not signal of Sprint at all. I called them 8 months ago. Sprint sent me the Airwave box. I had signal since then. Now I have problem with the signal even with the box now. I believe some people next door have Sprint and use my box as well.
    If you log in to the Sprint website, you can restrict use of your Airave to only preselected phone numbers to prevent anyone else from using it.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by circleinsidebox View Post
    High frequency radio= less penatration.

Hy husband works in a metal building and he cannot call out at all. He can get text messages. I think most signals have a hard time when encased in metal.....
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    Hy husband works in a metal building and he cannot call out at all. He can get text messages. I think most signals have a hard time when encased in metal.....
    This is true.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I have the same problem at my office. You can thank the size of the building, thickness of walls, and other factors which make it difficult to receive or send signals from the building. Try using a radio with tuner on the inside of the building - you'll get the same result with very little reception to none.

Over-all, Sprint has been good to me and my family. It's all relative to where you live and how the coverage is in that particular area. Customer service wise, it depends on who you get when you call, unfortunately.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

I think the best carrier is more of an opinion than an actual fact. Granted Sprint has lost some coverage areas, but imo they are my favorite carrier. They have awesome customer service, or at least I've experienced awesome customer service, their prices are the best, and they actually have unlimited data plans, which means no caps, like every other national carriers unlimited plans. That along with a decent selection of phones makes sprint my carrier of choice. But again I think its more of a personal preference than anything else when it comes to the best national carrier.