craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
For all you Netflix users:

I did some digging around, and it looks like Netflix is planning to launch it's Android app on Snapdragon processors first. Since the Nexus has a Hummingbird processor, I guess we can assume that the Nexus will not be seeing Netflix any time soon.

The Evo 3D will come equipped with a duel core Snapdragon, which leads me to believe Evo owners might see the Netflix app well before Nexus owners, if it even comes to hummingbird phones at all.

Anyone hear anything about Netflix and the Nexus? It's going to kill me knowing another android phone on my carrier can get Netflix and I can't.

I wish Google could just build proper DRM support into Android.

automatous

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I just read an interesting article on fragmentation which mentions Netflix only being available on snapdragon to start. It's ridiculous that there are processor or gpu-exclusive apps. Google needs to steer the ship more with hardware manufacturers and developers. Google's laissez-faire approach is affecting user experience. Openness and consistency don't have to be mutually exclusive.

On the verge of real Android fragmentation. – Android and Me

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This to me is the biggest problem with Android. First off Google based their latest release of Android (Gingerbread) on the Samsung Hummingbird processor, not that it wont work on Snapdragon, but it was made off of the Hummingbird. Second, Netflix is going to make their app work only on snapdragon, initially that is. This is absolutely ridiculous! Not only is Android fragmented, but now we have to deal with processor fragmentation? Google needs to get on the ball with this stuff and put an end to it. I would be pissed as hell to get a nice new Nexus S 4G and not be able to use Netflix, while all Snapdragon phones get first dibs.

nimin

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think the thought of streaming Netflix or any related lengthy media on a phone is ******ed. Reasons being, one, you have to be on a good data signal and 3G might be too slow, so either 4G (which depending on where you live is scarce) or WiFi which usually implies you are home, and that would mean there is a computer there.

Secondly, you're going to drain your battery fast and would have to have it plugged in which you won't be able to do on a bus or walking down the street.

Besides that, yeah it is silly that they would code the way they did. Sloppy and unorganized, but maybe they have some future crazy plan behind it.

craigwann

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain WHY drm would work on a snapdragon and not a hummingbird? It makes no since to me. Why would it be processor dependant?

Would it really be that hard to port the app to humingbird after they release it?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think the thought of streaming Netflix or any related lengthy media on a phone is ******ed. Reasons being, one, you have to be on a good data signal and 3G might be too slow, so either 4G (which depending on where you live is scarce) or WiFi which usually implies you are home, and that would mean there is a computer there...

I agree with the above, but to each it's own.

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy Netflix is on my xbox connected to an HDTV monitor and audio system gobbling down some popcorn and beer... :)

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
We use to watch netflix on this kids iphone at work. Was awesome. Played seemlesly unless he had connection issues that day.

I would like to have it. Watch it on break. Or in the car waiting getting food or something.

Its the only thing that bothers me really about this phone. But whatever. If netflix wants to act like that they better hope someone else comes around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol