Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Launch day Pre owner, now Nexus S 4G. There were no announcements for the Pre 3 on Sprint, and my phone screen had a crack so my wife and I (both Pre owners) upgraded (she got the Epic 4G). I've had the Nexus S 4G for 2 days and like it, but I still prefer navigating a phone OS using WebOS. If WebOS is supported on Sprint in another 2 years, perhaps I'll go back. I am most pleased with the very accurate and well integrated voice to text recognition in the android apps.

49funky

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I returned my Nexus S 4g yesterday and reactivated my palm pre.

I thought the device was neat, but 4g never worked, the battery didn't even last 1/2 a day (far worse than pre), the wifi connection didn't work in my house (pre did).

I am going to keep using the phone I have, or switch to something on Boost or Virgin Mobile.

Good luck to you all

Getbusylivin

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I like this thread,, I don't feel so alone now, My touchscreen went out on my Pre and I had to have a phone quick so I tried to pick one that would keep me interested for a while, Nexus S 4 G seems like it might do that. So is there anyway to get FB profile pics to show on my contacts or when I am texting someone instead of looking at the green thing all the time

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to assign photos from LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter (or some other source) to my contacts' profiles? I really do miss that from webOS.

ftrengineer

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The app SyncMyPix will sync your Facebook photos. People have had a mixed experience (i.e. contacts that should have had a matched photo didn't synch), but it worked great for me.

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Man I cant believe all the launch day pre- owners switching. I too am a launch day owner as well as a developer (Random Facts app). I will be switching over tomorrow when my Nexus S 4g arrives in the mail.

I love webOS and I'm still getting the TouchPad. If Sprint decides to get the Pre 3 and the TouchPad gets the attention of alot developers I will make the switch back.

I will miss:
1) touchstone
2) just type (damn that made finding people to text so fast)
3) preware
4) switching between apps

Im still confused on whats the best way to kill apps on the Android phones...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Im still confused on whats the best way to kill apps on the Android phones...

My advice. Let the OS manage memory and the apps, it actually does a very good job at it unless there is a poorly coded app and in that case, you really wouldn't want to be running that app.

Gorn

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have something that I was hoping the community might be able to help me out with:

When I send a text (using the stock app or Go SMS Pro) to multiple recipients, lets say to people A, B, and C, Android creates a new conversation for only (and all of) A, B, and C. webOS would put my text and the responses in the individual conversations for A, B, and C. Can anybody help me get this to be more webOS-like?

TheEpic1

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow! We Pre users sound like we've lost our soul mate. But hey... WebOS was just THAT GOOD!. Android isn't even in the same league. Nonetheless, here I am... holding an Epic 4G and learning how the hack the thing to death to make it seem Pre like. Alas... it just ain't the same. Could you guys imagine WebOS on one of these 4G phones...with thousands of apps like droid? Hell! I'm getting horny just thinking about it. Maybe one day....

TheEpic1

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just use task manager. You can open a little box and put it on your home scree. It let's you know how many apps are still running. Click on it and a list of running apps will appear. You can END ALL or pick and choose. It's your choice...

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My advice. Let the OS manage memory and the apps, it actually does a very good job at it unless there is a poorly coded app and in that case, you really wouldn't want to be running that app.

Yeah...I've always heard that and never bothered "killing" an app. Haven't locked it up yet!

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Just use task manager. You can open a little box and put it on your home scree. It let's you know how many apps are still running. Click on it and a list of running apps will appear. You can END ALL or pick and choose. It's your choice...

thanks, will prolly use this method

Gr3yGhOsT

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow...feels like a support group! So here goes...hi I'm Dave, and I am a launch day Pre owner. I am here because I killed my Pre. It had a tiny crack forming from the USB door and was starting to affect touchscreen performance and picture. So thinking I could do the screen surgery...I wound up with a Pre that had no touchscreen input or microphone. I begged and pleaded Sprint to sell me a refurbished Pre from stock, but no dice. And since this is a work phone I had no time to seek out a used Pre to replaced my beloved with...I ended up taking the plunge into the Android world. I have no qualms in saying that the Pre OS is hands down the best phone OS out there....nothing (not even the Jesus iPhone...) even comes close. That is not to say WebOS was perfect...far from it. But despite my Pre being slow as heck compared to my new Nexus S 4g....I was faster on it because everything just worked the way it should...it was so intuitive to use and the OS just felt....right.

So here is my thoughts on Android:

The good:
Man this phone is FAST! Apps that took 6-8 secs to load on my Pre are up in no time!
Voice recognition. Where have you been all my life?
I can still mod my phone.
A crap load of apps! Netflix app, heck yes. And finally I have an Audible app!

The bad:
Multitasking is in there somewhere...just seems like such a kludge to use. Gimme card view please!
Swiping. Such a simple gesture...and so rewarding. I am about to wear out my screen trying to swipe away notifications, emails, programs, etc. Which brings me to...
Notifications. Really? No way to dismiss individual notifications other than clicking on it or clearing them all? Ugh...
The non Gmail email client is just marginally ok.
Bring back Facebook sync!
Gestures...see swiping rant. Nuff said.
System settings...they are too hard to find and too many layers deep. A feature such as mobile hotspot should have a simple on/off button handy...same with 4G.
Too rooted in the Googleverse. I know it is a Google product, mmmkay? I just feel that this platform makes it too difficult to live in a non Google world. I don't want EVERYTHING about my online existence to live on a Google server somewhere! Makes me nervous....

Overall, I like the phone, and perhaps with time will grow to love it. But I miss my Pre. Combine the Samsung hardware with the Android app catalog all running on top of a WebOS platform and you would have near perfection.

srdiamond#AC

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain.... 4 free apps made all the difference to me coming from 15 years of Palm and the Pre- to this phone....

K9 - email
Handcent - texting
GoContacts - contact manager
NoLED - notifications

those 4 babies totally changed my attitude of Android and Nexus.... try them and let me know if you feel as transformed as I did.... :)

hi-tech34

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

What Task manager App are you referring to?

Gr3yGhOsT

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain.... 4 free apps made all the difference to me coming from 15 years of Palm and the Pre- to this phone....

K9 - email
Handcent - texting
NoLED - notifications

those 4 babies totally changed my attitude of Android and Nexus.... try them and let me know if you feel as transformed as I did.... :)

Thanks! I will definitely give them a try!

stlsports

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I like this thread,, I don't feel so alone now, My touchscreen went out on my Pre and I had to have a phone quick so I tried to pick one that would keep me interested for a while, Nexus S 4 G seems like it might do that. So is there anyway to get FB profile pics to show on my contacts or when I am texting someone instead of looking at the green thing all the time[/QUOT ]try syncmypix works good

Reactions: piaband

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

K9 - email
Handcent - texting
NoLED - notifications

So far I like every one of them. I am really loving this forum.

Also hoping JuiceDefender works as well as others are saying. Just installed it, we will see. I';m gonna run through a full day with no charge tomorrow. I actually think it will help me a lot since my office is located in a low signal area and that seems to drain my battery a lot.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I looked at Handcent, but all the screenshots of it reminded me of Yahoo Messenger from a decade ago...couldn't bring myself to download it.

I mean really....KITTEN smilies???
ss-1-320-480-160-3-6e379daca836f96674e737154cba63e575c008ca

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I looked at Handcent, but all the screenshots of it reminded me of Yahoo Messenger from a decade ago...couldn't bring myself to download it.

I mean really....KITTEN smilies???
]

It is completely customizable (even get rid of those stupid bubbles). The smilies too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca