Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

Quote Originally Posted by 49funky View Post
    I know there are other threads about switching from WebOS, but it looks like for quite a LOT of us who are still using the PRE because we were holding out for the right phone to come out on Sprint will switching to the Nexus S4g.

I know I am really going to miss WebOS, and even though I have played with Android some, I likely will find more things that I miss about WebOS as I play with my Nexus S4G in the first few weeks.

I figured we need a thread where those of us making the switch can talk about how to customize Android to our WebOS liking.

Specifically, I know I am going to miss -

CARDS!!
    Swiping to switch between apps
    Swiping to delete things
    The way WebOS handles notifications
    The way the phone integrates Facebook and Google into contacts and calendar
    Agreed 100%, too bad OS going out like Beta did, a much better product that just did not have the right company pushing it.....
    Thanked by:
    gknews 
    gknews likes this.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

One more ex-Pre owner here... Had it for 2 years, overclocked, homebrewed, and all that good stuff. Was very reluctant to switch from WebOS because I loved it. But, the Pre was a crappy piece of hardware -- always had issues from the Oreo to the ghastly headset. And Palm/HP was not showin' any love with updates after a while.
    I have been on the Nexus S for a few weeks now, and I'm not looking back! It is heaven. The *only* thing I miss is the ability to edit the auto-correct dictionary. But, I'm using Swype now, and that's fun and interesting enough that I don't care too much.
    -dave

I took the plunge as well ordered 2 to replace 2 on my shared family plan wanted a pre 3 but hp droped the ball.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

I currently have a frankenpre2 and while I love it, the screen on the Nexus S 4g is very appealing. I test drove it for a while and went back to my Pre. Have they finally fixed the issue with the weak radio signals?

Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    I currently have a frankenpre2 and while I love it, the screen on the Nexus S 4g is very appealing. I test drove it for a while and went back to my Pre. Have they finally fixed the issue with the weak radio signals?
    Yes and no, depending on who you ask.
    I'm starting to believe my problem never had anything to do with the phone and everything to do with the towers near my house.

I think the 4G radio is inherently defective and it's something that cannot be fixed with a firmware/software update. Fortunately, I don't really ever use it anyway, instead relying more on wifi in hotels and at home to stream video.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    ROM
    Experimental-CM10

My personal experience has been my 3G signal falls off way more than my 4G. Like the poster above said.. I chalk it up to the towers in my area. My 4G downtown gets DL rates upwards of 10mb/s. So I have no reason not to use my 4G radio other than being out of the coverage area. Personally, I have never had signal issues with my NS4G. Im sure if I stared at the bars for a while I would probably see some fluxuation, but for the most part its pretty solid.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    My personal experience has been my 3G signal falls off way more than my 4G. Like the poster above said.. I chalk it up to the towers in my area. My 4G downtown gets DL rates upwards of 10mb/s. So I have no reason not to use my 4G radio other than being out of the coverage area. Personally, I have never had signal issues with my NS4G. Im sure if I stared at the bars for a while I would probably see some fluxuation, but for the most part its pretty solid.
    The NS4G is the only android phone on sprint that appeals to me. All the other phones seem to be either too cheap feeling or have just way too many gimmicks going on. Plus you can get a NS4G for like 200 off-contract which is what I would do.

I think I'll carry it around for a few weeks to see if I like it and keep my frankenpre2 on standby just in case

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

One question: Is there a ROM available that incorporates WebOS's core features more than another? I'm talking like task switching, synergy, notifications, etc...

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    One more ex-Pre owner here... Had it for 2 years, overclocked, homebrewed, and all that good stuff. Was very reluctant to switch from WebOS because I loved it. But, the Pre was a crappy piece of hardware -- always had issues from the Oreo to the ghastly headset. And Palm/HP was not showin' any love with updates after a while.
    I have been on the Nexus S for a few weeks now, and I'm not looking back! It is heaven. The *only* thing I miss is the ability to edit the auto-correct dictionary. But, I'm using Swype now, and that's fun and interesting enough that I don't care too much.
    -dave
    I also switched from the Pre to a Nexus S.

Go to your Home Screen, press the Menu touch button, hit Settings, scroll down and hit Language and Keyboard, then hit User Dictionary. You can tap individual words to erase them, or hit the Menu touch button on the bottom to add a new one. Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    ROM
    Experimental-CM10

One question: Is there a ROM available that incorporates WebOS's core features more than another? I'm talking like task switching, synergy, notifications, etc...
    I havent seen an individual ROM that is setup that way. As far as task switching goes, you can hold down the home key and it will show you a list of open apps and can switch that way. It's ok, but its not cards. There may be some apps that help with notifications, but so far I cant complain about the stock Android notifications. They work well enough for me to not look for better. Synergy is somewhat there. It's something I do miss in webOS, especially "Just Type". Android has a global Google search in the OS that will do pretty much the same thing, but I just find it lacking, especially when I am looking for an enterprise contact. Again perhaps some of the awesome dev's out there for Android has a remedy for this. All in all the NS4G is a great phone. The hardware is great, the support is great, and Sprint is great.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Talking Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    I havent seen an individual ROM that is setup that way. As far as task switching goes, you can hold down the home key and it will show you a list of open apps and can switch that way. It's ok, but its not cards. There may be some apps that help with notifications, but so far I cant complain about the stock Android notifications. They work well enough for me to not look for better. Synergy is somewhat there. It's something I do miss in webOS, especially "Just Type". Android has a global Google search in the OS that will do pretty much the same thing, but I just find it lacking, especially when I am looking for an enterprise contact. Again perhaps some of the awesome dev's out there for Android has a remedy for this. All in all the NS4G is a great phone. The hardware is great, the support is great, and Sprint is great.
    Try one of the following for Task Switching:

Perfect Task Switcher

Quick Desk - I personally prefer this!

Enjoy!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I hated to leave but this works...and faster.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

After a week with my Nexus S I can say the network connectivity issues that caused to me ditch it a few months ago are still there.

I had a hacked Pre 2 on Sprint that got better connection than this thing. Wifi and 3G are not dependable at all.

Ugh, I was afraid this would happen.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

I mean, I can't even send text messages from my office. I have never ever had that problem with my Palm Pre or Pre 2.

Check out the dark side, come join us over in the MoPho forum for Pre evacuees.

My Nexus is waiting for me at home, it was just delivered. I am having buyer’s remorse; it has been a very hard decision to give up the Pre. 4G is not available in my area I am hoping I won’t have the issues others are having. If I do back it goes and MoPho here I come. I almost went with that instead of the Nexus, but $30 vs $200, had to at least try it. Here's hoping.
    Cat Eyez Honey likes this.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nlboz View Post
    My Nexus is waiting for me at home, it was just delivered. I am having buyers remorse; it has been a very hard decision to give up the Pre. 4G is not available in my area I am hoping I wont have the issues others are having. If I do back it goes and MoPho here I come. I almost went with that instead of the Nexus, but $30 vs $200, had to at least try it. Here's hoping.
    I understand. When I picked up my NS4G about 3 weeks ago, I felt as if I had cheated on my wife. I still keep the Pre on the touchstone (since it stays connect to my home WiFi) because it's just so much fun to play with! WebOS is a great OS, but you will love the way Android apps integrate with one another. Have fun with the new phone!

My first foray into smart phones was the palm pixie. I still talk highly of the idea of what the functionaility could have been if the hardare had been on the same level as my new android device. I loved cards.....not having to close and reoppen when looking for a number or web browsing will be missed. but everyone else is right. the app store was a joke and HP just killed it. I was trying to hold out for a pre 3 on sprint was gonna ask for a touchpad for xmas but HP broke my heart..RIP webos. hopefully it will reappear on other hardware

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

Guys I'm feeling a relapse coming on. The thing I miss the most has to be the touchstone. I am still enjoying all of the apps but I don't use much more on a daily basis than I did with my palm pre. I'm not happy with the ns4g reception - I got better with my Frankenpre2. The keyboard options on android are nice but I don't think I type much faster as a result.

I do love the ns4g hardware. The screen is beautiful and I like the stealth look. I also like having a netflix app.

I will probably stick it out for a few weeks but I do miss some webos

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

I also hate the notifications on android. I have to pull down the top bar every freaking time I get a notification. Also, getting the music player to show on the lock screen is annoying. For example, how do I get spotify on the lock screen without running widgetlocker? Its a shame this isn't built in to the is for devs to add.

Widgets are overrated. Just type replaced a lot of my need for quick app access. Need to write quick memo? Just start typing in webOS. Android? Unlock - move to widget- open memo pad- type. No contest.

No notification led is also annoying. Noled is flakey and doesn't really replace a blinking light you can see from 30 feet away.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    jezer29 likes this.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

I've had the phone for 3 days now and dont get me wrong, I like it.. But Im feeling worried that I made a mistake. But what else could I do my Pre was having alot of issues. I tried to get my hands on a Pre 2 but couldnt find one anywhere at least at a resonable price.. I love the market place though, bunch of apps and for free. But its just minor lil detail things that annoy me about this Nexus S.. No led notification, I still havent figured out how to take a screen shot smh.. Then today I just noticed that after updating the music player now I dont have the option to set my songs as ringtones.. like wtf!!! And hacking, rooting whatever you call it, seems difficult with their ROMS and that other stuff you need to do. This on my Pre was a breeze and man do I miss Music Player Remix.. I have till the 15th with this phone, tomorrow is the announcement of the iPhone 5 and if its coming to Sprint I might as well return it..

I really find it funny how so many people complain about Android being more difficult that WebOS... Come on people were talking about an extra "finger" swipe or two!?!?? Have we become this lazy of a community when we complain about moving your finger an extra inch or two a few times??? Wow... It wasn't a few years ago and you wouldn't of thought about even half of what we do today on phones and now people are complaining about a few extra swipes of your finger.. I only say this because most of the posts I read about WebOS to Android is a lot users complaining about having to do an extra swipe or two of the finger..

Unfortunately for whatever reasons Fruit phone has its perks, Android has its, WebOS had theirs.... Why can't we have it all together on one? Patients.... Copyrights...

Eventually good things or stuff we are used to come to an end, example WebOS.. Its a fact of life in the electronic world.... To say Android isn't onto something here is an understatement.. I too was a former BB fan and even Palm for a brief period of time and do see both sides of the story but unfortunately we have to move on and hope that Android and other future companies will take what had worked in the past and try to revive it for the future.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

As being a former Pre owner (and current Touchpad user...woot!), I can understand folks coming over to Android feeling like it is a more difficult OS to use. It is not just the day to day stuff...hand a person a WebOS device, and they just quickly get it. Most of the settings are where you expect them to be. The multitasking is so intuitive that you start to take it for granted. (I spent two weeks trying to swipe everything away on my Nexus S....). I have spent countless hours fumbling around my Android phone trying to remember where certain options are. (Like enabling USB debugging for one...).

Now that I have had my Nexus for a while, I am getting used to the Android way of doing things. But Android is no where near as elegant or easy to use as WebOS. Not that I am in any way knocking Android...I love my Nexus S. Just wish some of the best features from WebOS would find it's way over to the Android platform...like the card view for multitasking, easier way to dismiss just one notification other than clicking on it (or clearing them all...), and more intuitive locations for system settings.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415