Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Nexus S 4g

Wolfsv

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Support Group for those switching from WebOS (palm pre) to Ne

I havent seen an individual ROM that is setup that way. As far as task switching goes, you can hold down the home key and it will show you a list of open apps and can switch that way. It's ok, but its not cards. There may be some apps that help with notifications, but so far I cant complain about the stock Android notifications. They work well enough for me to not look for better. Synergy is somewhat there. It's something I do miss in webOS, especially "Just Type". Android has a global Google search in the OS that will do pretty much the same thing, but I just find it lacking, especially when I am looking for an enterprise contact. Again perhaps some of the awesome dev's out there for Android has a remedy for this. All in all the NS4G is a great phone. The hardware is great, the support is great, and Sprint is great.

Try one of the following for Task Switching:

Perfect Task Switcher

Quick Desk - I personally prefer this!

Enjoy!

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

After a week with my Nexus S I can say the network connectivity issues that caused to me ditch it a few months ago are still there.

I had a hacked Pre 2 on Sprint that got better connection than this thing. Wifi and 3G are not dependable at all.

Ugh, I was afraid this would happen.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I mean, I can't even send text messages from my office. I have never ever had that problem with my Palm Pre or Pre 2.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Check out the dark side, come join us over in the MoPho forum for Pre evacuees. ;)

nlboz

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

My Nexus is waiting for me at home, it was just delivered. I am having buyer’s remorse; it has been a very hard decision to give up the Pre. 4G is not available in my area I am hoping I won’t have the issues others are having. If I do back it goes and MoPho here I come. I almost went with that instead of the Nexus, but $30 vs $200, had to at least try it. Here's hoping.

cjstealth

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

My Nexus is waiting for me at home, it was just delivered. I am having buyer?s remorse; it has been a very hard decision to give up the Pre. 4G is not available in my area I am hoping I won?t have the issues others are having. If I do back it goes and MoPho here I come. I almost went with that instead of the Nexus, but $30 vs $200, had to at least try it. Here's hoping.

I understand. When I picked up my NS4G about 3 weeks ago, I felt as if I had cheated on my wife. I still keep the Pre on the touchstone (since it stays connect to my home WiFi) because it's just so much fun to play with! WebOS is a great OS, but you will love the way Android apps integrate with one another. Have fun with the new phone!

jeffbell72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

My first foray into smart phones was the palm pixie. I still talk highly of the idea of what the functionaility could have been if the hardare had been on the same level as my new android device. I loved cards.....not having to close and reoppen when looking for a number or web browsing will be missed. but everyone else is right. the app store was a joke and HP just killed it. I was trying to hold out for a pre 3 on sprint was gonna ask for a touchpad for xmas but HP broke my heart..RIP webos. hopefully it will reappear on other hardware:'(

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Guys I'm feeling a relapse coming on. The thing I miss the most has to be the touchstone. I am still enjoying all of the apps but I don't use much more on a daily basis than I did with my palm pre. I'm not happy with the ns4g reception - I got better with my Frankenpre2. The keyboard options on android are nice but I don't think I type much faster as a result.

I do love the ns4g hardware. The screen is beautiful and I like the stealth look. I also like having a netflix app.

I will probably stick it out for a few weeks but I do miss some webos

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I also hate the notifications on android. I have to pull down the top bar every freaking time I get a notification. Also, getting the music player to show on the lock screen is annoying. For example, how do I get spotify on the lock screen without running widgetlocker? Its a shame this isn't built in to the is for devs to add.

Widgets are overrated. Just type replaced a lot of my need for quick app access. Need to write quick memo? Just start typing in webOS. Android? Unlock - move to widget- open memo pad- type. No contest.

No notification led is also annoying. Noled is flakey and doesn't really replace a blinking light you can see from 30 feet away.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

jezer29

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had the phone for 3 days now and dont get me wrong, I like it.. But Im feeling worried that I made a mistake. But what else could I do my Pre was having alot of issues. I tried to get my hands on a Pre 2 but couldnt find one anywhere at least at a resonable price.. I love the market place though, bunch of apps and for free. But its just minor lil detail things that annoy me about this Nexus S.. No led notification, I still havent figured out how to take a screen shot smh.. Then today I just noticed that after updating the music player now I dont have the option to set my songs as ringtones.. like wtf!!! And hacking, rooting whatever you call it, seems difficult with their ROMS and that other stuff you need to do. This on my Pre was a breeze and man do I miss Music Player Remix.. I have till the 15th with this phone, tomorrow is the announcement of the iPhone 5 and if its coming to Sprint I might as well return it..

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I really find it funny how so many people complain about Android being more difficult that WebOS... Come on people were talking about an extra "finger" swipe or two!?!?? Have we become this lazy of a community when we complain about moving your finger an extra inch or two a few times??? Wow... It wasn't a few years ago and you wouldn't of thought about even half of what we do today on phones and now people are complaining about a few extra swipes of your finger.. I only say this because most of the posts I read about WebOS to Android is a lot users complaining about having to do an extra swipe or two of the finger..

Unfortunately for whatever reasons Fruit phone has its perks, Android has its, WebOS had theirs.... Why can't we have it all together on one? Patients.... Copyrights...

Eventually good things or stuff we are used to come to an end, example WebOS.. Its a fact of life in the electronic world.... To say Android isn't onto something here is an understatement.. I too was a former BB fan and even Palm for a brief period of time and do see both sides of the story but unfortunately we have to move on and hope that Android and other future companies will take what had worked in the past and try to revive it for the future.

Gr3yGhOsT

May 21, 2011
Visit site

As being a former Pre owner (and current Touchpad user...woot!), I can understand folks coming over to Android feeling like it is a more difficult OS to use. It is not just the day to day stuff...hand a person a WebOS device, and they just quickly get it. Most of the settings are where you expect them to be. The multitasking is so intuitive that you start to take it for granted. (I spent two weeks trying to swipe everything away on my Nexus S....). I have spent countless hours fumbling around my Android phone trying to remember where certain options are. (Like enabling USB debugging for one...).

Now that I have had my Nexus for a while, I am getting used to the Android way of doing things. But Android is no where near as elegant or easy to use as WebOS. Not that I am in any way knocking Android...I love my Nexus S. Just wish some of the best features from WebOS would find it's way over to the Android platform...like the card view for multitasking, easier way to dismiss just one notification other than clicking on it (or clearing them all...), and more intuitive locations for system settings.