- 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM #51
- 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM #52
- 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM #53
Picked up the NS4G at Best Buy yesterday. This is my first Android phone, coming over from the original Sprint Palm Pre. So far, very nice phone. Here are my complaints thus far:
1) I just took the phone outside for a walk, and the screen was hard to see, even when set to maximum brightness. I was not expecting this from an AMOLED screen. The Palm Pre screen was brighter in this regard.
2) The bottom button row is extremely dim, basically invisible in sunlight.
3) Though I'm in a suburb of Chicago which is blanketed in 4G, I cannot get a 4G signal anywhere inside the house, first or second floor. I just walked through downtown La Grange and did some speed tests, and did get some nice results: 4.2 Mbps down and 916 kbps up. This isn't a deal breaker, as I have wifi in the house. But if the home internet goes out, it'd be nice to know I could use the phone as backup. I guess it'll have to be 3G backup.
4) The speakerphone volume seems a bit weak compared to the Pre. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and was hoping I could perhaps use the phone to do so without a headset. Doesn't seem like it's going to be an option. Perhaps I can find a volume booster somewhere.
Of all of these, the screen brightness really is a tough pill to swallow.
- 05-09-2011, 01:47 PM #54
Been playing with the NS4G since Saturday. Coming from the EVO with Cyanogen 7, IMHO I'll be wiping this down and repack send it back to Best Buy.
Understandably the Sprint variation is still "New" and Modds are coming along, however there are couple of things I encounter might be a deal breaker for me:
- 4G definitely not strong enough as the EVO, or the Shift. Getting cut in N out on a stationary spot. 1/2 hour comparison with the EVO, Shift and the NS4G;
- Speaker / ring volume is mediocre at best.;
- Lack of physically LED notification and none of the four standard buttons lights up;
- The Super AMOLED screen has a slight tint whereas it makes the screen dimmer even thought everything was on "Auto" mode. A metallic blue reflection when viewing under the sunlight. *This of course can be adjusted using some screen protector.
The only thing I like is the speed of installation of programs are much faster than the EVO/Shift.
My useless two cents.
- 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM #55
- 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM #56
- 221 Posts
part of deciding on the nexus s 4g:
my router is a cradlepoint mbr1000. service via att.
router has native wimax. is that for in house wifi to phone, or just for connection to sprint network via sprint data card?
tia, danapardon me, i seem to have lost my mind in a reading comprehension accident...
- 05-09-2011, 02:42 PM #57
I'm really not sure whats going on with the softkey buttons. Sometimes mine are bright sometimes they are not. I have a feeling this is a software issure more than a hardware issue. Since they light up in the first place.
- 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM #58
Let me know what settings you have going. Maybe we can't work this out for you.
- 05-09-2011, 02:57 PM #59
I just ordered my nexus online last night. I am really not liking all of the negative reactions. It reminds me of the first few months with my palm pre.
I will state this right here, right now, I will not own a phone where I am always waiting on the next update to fix something. I've been there, done that with the Pre minus.
I have a feeling I will be taking advantage of the 30-day return. I am sick to my stomach that THIS is the Android device I finally gave into (and I dont even ahve it in hand yet),
- 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM #60
Also, it's still new to Sprint, there's bound to be bugs that need working out.
Honestly, it's not your fault so don't feel bad.
- 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM #61
THIS IS NOT LIKE THE PALM PRE. I repeat... THIS IS NOT LIKE THE PALM PRE. i have no gripes at all with this phone that lead me to how i felt after launch with the palm pre. Wi-fi is fine it works it just needs tweaking. I have had only one bout with lag. The only issue i have is with the phone speaker its just quieter than the pre. Other than that this phone rocks!
- 05-09-2011, 05:37 PM #63
agree with the two above me. This phone rocks. So much better than my palm pre. I have fallin in love with it so much. The hardware is just what I wanted. The screen is just beautiful. The battery life is a ton better then my old pre. I took it off the charger at 730am. surfed the web, got 15 emails, text messages, listened to 4 hours of streaming espn radio and at 345pm I got a low battery alert saying I had 15% power left. I have to say that's pretty good. If that was my palm pre i would hve had to charge it around 1045am! No lie.
You are not going to reget getting this phone.
- 05-09-2011, 05:54 PM #64
I don't know what all the negative reviews are for, my battery if doing great and what is expected from a smartphone (way better than my Pre). My screen is great and very responsive, I get great coverage (might just be where I live. Phoenix AZ) WIFI in my house has been strong. The speaker is def not as loud as my Pre was but acceptable for me. App store is great, call quality is good. Overall I am a happy camper with my new phone, so to me it is a keeper. Maybe I got a factory freak like my Pre because everyone who had a pre was always talking about being on the 4th, 5th, 6th phone. My Pre lasted the entire time and just about a month ago the usb door cover fell off lol.
- 05-09-2011, 06:22 PM #65
- 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM #66
- 4 Posts
Internet can be quick but usually slow to load. Tried to listen to FM internet radio on the bus this morning...kept cutting out even with strong signal. Bus has wifi but when I connected it blanked out reception. On some screens when entering text, there's no way to minimize keyboard to see the next text box. Didn't have these issues with my Hero...but it had other quirks that drove me nuts. Moving closer to swapping for an Evo.
Last edited by Larryg46; 05-09-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Added comments.
- 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM #67
Just an FYI for you larryg46. The lag for the internet is on all android device i have tried with the stock app. Use dolphin HD browser. So much better. For the FM internet radio. What app were you using? I was using TuneIN mobile and only had one cut out.
- 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM #68
- 05-09-2011, 11:52 PM #69
- 22 Posts
- 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM #70
- 209 Posts
I came from the EVO and can't decide if I like this yet. I do not like the new keyboard. Anyway to get the older version keyboard back and use the calibration tool? The no led notification is annoying but not a huge deal, I'll go with BLN eventually. The size is nice, but hard to get used to coming from the brick evo haha. The display is great and very vibrant. No issues on my wifi. I'll have to give this a few days and see if I want to keep it.
- 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM #71
- 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM #72
- 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM #73
- 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM #74
- 774 Posts
- Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0
Well I am coming from an Evo, and i dont miss my Evo at all! I LOVE how Stealth this phone looks, sure it could be made a little better ( cough cough Samsung ) but overall its Google approved! So i approve it and love it, its onle 0.3 of a screen size difference between this and the Evo, and the batter on my NX4G is better than my old Evo...just waiting on my Phantom screen protector.
- 05-10-2011, 04:56 PM #75