Welcome to the Nexus S 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi I'm keith I am coming from the epic forums. After bricking too many epics (it wasn't my fault it was all odin's fault), I decided to get a phone that doesn't require odin to root. I think I'm really going to enjoy the nexus and I can't wait to try all the different roms.

Ok Paul, now you're stuck with me. lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shameless James

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The name is James and I've owned the S for a few months now. I love the phone and this being my first Android I am happy to finally be a member of these forums. Uh that's it? Hi!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi I'm keith I am coming from the epic forums. After bricking too many epics (it wasn't my fault it was all odin's fault), I decided to get a phone that doesn't require odin to root. I think I'm really going to enjoy the nexus and I can't wait to try all the different roms.

Ok Paul, now you're stuck with me. lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Not even going to acknowledge you... Trouble maker.. hahaha

Have fun Keith..

The name is James and I've owned the S for a few months now. I love the phone and this being my first Android I am happy to finally be a member of these forums. Uh that's it? Hi!
Welcome James.... I wish I would of picked my first device to be Pure Google... Probably have a few less headaches along the way...

Djleal

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The name is Danny and after having my iphone 4 for about a year I sold it and bought this phone only because I love vanilla android over everything else. My nexus s is currently running ICS AOSP build and I gotta say I am impressed with the device so far.

image66

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi. Ken here. Two brand new phones replacing my old Palm Centros. What are apps? ;)

The iPad is getting shuffled back to minimal use. These things are great.

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks. I'm Carl and I am switching over from my borked HTC EVO 4g. I'm excited for the Super AMOLED screen as well as the better...hmm, more vanilla android. One concern I have currently is that when my gf got her Samsung Epic 4g roughly 8 months ago it was a few updates behind, thus it was "out of the loop". After much help from fellow forum users, Paul627g and many others, I was able to use Odin and several files to update, systematically, the device. I'm worried that this too will be the case with the Sprint Nexus S I am getting today or tomorrow. They offered to let me switch so I am. Any help would be appreciated

Cliff Notes:
1) Getting Sprint Google Nexus S 4g to replace damaged HTC EVO 4g
2) Worried the build or software will be behind, thus making it out of the loop, requiring manual updates via Odin.
3) I lost my odin program and am unsure of where to find the files. Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks. I'm Carl and I am switching over from my borked HTC EVO 4g. I'm excited for the Super AMOLED screen as well as the better...hmm, more vanilla android. One concern I have currently is that when my gf got her Samsung Epic 4g roughly 8 months ago it was a few updates behind, thus it was "out of the loop". After much help from fellow forum users, Paul627g and many others, I was able to use Odin and several files to update, systematically, the device. I'm worried that this too will be the case with the Sprint Nexus S I am getting today or tomorrow. They offered to let me switch so I am. Any help would be appreciated

Cliff Notes:
1) Getting Sprint Google Nexus S 4g to replace damaged HTC EVO 4g
2) Worried the build or software will be behind, thus making it out of the loop, requiring manual updates via Odin.
3) I lost my odin program and am unsure of where to find the files. Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!!

Welcome aboard Carl...

Check your PM, I already responded to your questions...

We will get you hooked up but your NS4G should be updated..

cabrone

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard Carl...

Check your PM, I already responded to your questions...

We will get you hooked up but your NS4G should be updated..

You, sir, are fantastic at helping my noob self. I've been doing some reading on the forum in preparation for my new device and I am shocked, slightly, that there is so many features that I've grown so used to that are lacking. Such as facebook sync (as well as gmail?) however, this will attribute to better batter life and my evo would make it for about 12 hours before crapping out. I'm pretty excited, to say the least.

Thanks again!!!!

I replied, btw :)

Last edited:

Nic Stubbs

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,
First time smartphone user here :)
I decided on the NS4G and have been happy ever since. I'm looking forward to ICS and more information on Rooting to see if it has an advantage for my phone.

Glad to be a new member, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

Nic

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, my name is Brandon... I've been on the forum wagon for months- I've lurked mostly in the Epic forums and here in the NS4g halls despite reading AC news daily because I swore after breaking my 1st Rooted Epic that the update leaks were too frequent for me to bother getting caught up in it all... again.

It was Paul and his stable ROMS that got me into this flashing mess in the Epic days... and while I may have ponderd defecting at the launch of the Nexus S4g... I'd have to say it was his own defection and my defective Asurion Epic replacement that eventually drove me here to stay.

After the official GB Epic update still didn't fix my bluetooth issues and created a GPS problem- I really had no choice.

I do have to say- the Nexus S ROM development and it's volume of support is staggering when it comes to options - but quite frankly, STOCK GB IMHO really stinks in my humble opinion.

(IF you don't like rants- stop reading now as I drag out my soapbox and start a riot with my heracy)

Now ICS has made some huge strides - possibly most of all - the great keyboard/dictionary/grammar and improved voice command features- something many take for granted are shockingly improved. And to have an email app in android that actually appears to WORK rather than the butchered Samsung touchwiz one that seems to always be a mess despite 3 OS updates on the Epic sure is refreshing...

Shame really that Google doesn't copy ADW/Go and HTC more so we have all the options we want in a stock launcher without having to resort to other means... but alas- I'll gladly donate to someone who can work up the following mods to stock ICS- although I'd rather see Google get Mettias off his rump and add an option or two themselves. (by the way- I had a Palm Pre and Web OS was NOT all that... I fear he may actually strip out options rather than add ones if we look back at the Pre for reference)

1. Remove the google bar option (better yet- put it in the notification tray where it belongs!)

2. Adjustable home screen options. If Go launcher can support an infinite number of home screens- why is stock stuck on 5? Being able to adjust the grid to 4x5 or 5x5 is a must as well. And changing app icons to look like any other icon (ie: change an ugly one for another like in Go) goes a long way to a more zen experience- and let me hide the status bar- we've all got clock and date widgets already.

3. Yippie ICS has google+ widgets... um Google- did you forget something for the past few OS updates... ie: a Google Reader Widget? Seriously what are you waiting for? And your calendar widget is a joke either fix it or delete it- but someone needs a demotion over the disgrace that it is currently.

4. Option to put folders in the app tray and widget tray- I want to group my widgets- some apps have way too many widgets- but if I could group them in kind in 1 folder- I wouldn't mind if an app had 10 widget varieties.

5. Backup the launcher settings and export to storage- many non stock launchers do it- why can't google?

6. Phone backup WITHOUT Root. I can't get family members to ditch an idevice if Android refuses to allow application and app data backup - the fact that the #1 troubleshooting method of any cell carrier in the US for an android phone is to factory reset and wipe all data from a phone that has no official backup method quite frankly makes Android the WORST mobile OS I've ever come across. I love it for the customizations it provides me- but if I'm to tell the world how great it is... Google needs to try harder - instead- after spending time with stock GB and ICS I see WHY the OEMS try so hard to skin the devices- because for the common layperson- Google hardly makes an effort (ICS is the 1st major step - and it still has a long way to go) to making this easy to use for the common user... which hate to break it to you - will never visit a blog about mobile devices.

So happy to have a phone that seems to solidly work compared to the Epic- and yet still feed my need for customizations... now I just need to convince my wife to ditch her keyboard ways and join us. (I won't hold my breath though)

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the other side, brandonc.. Glad to have you here..

Some things you point out about the launcher have been changed at least in custom ROMs... Stock options, no... The modified launcher in the ICS ROMs like CM or oICS have the option to ditch the Google search bar and add home screens, etc...

Unfortunately like stock on any device, Google has their way of doing things.. Pure Google or not....

Anyways... welcome to the NS4G area... Glad to have another friendly face from the Epic 4g area.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

goofy420247

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Clicked on your thread and mann its complicated smh.....guess ill really have wait for ever now...bummer is there any way I can just download it and use it...just like I said.....download and use none of that click this click that load this load that boot this boot that....recover this recover that.....and how can there not be an update for this sprints nexus s 4g I don't understand if its googles update tmobiles nxses got it att everyone but us sprint custys

Reno Skyy

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello the names Reno am from vegas an I love Android am a straight apple hater started wit Android with the motor Droid milestone then I stuck with them once I for the nexus am sticking to it next phone to get is the galaxy nexus well that's all folks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995