Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Problem with text message character limit?

    Hello all, just got my Nexus S yesterday and I love it! However, though the user guide says text messages over the 160 character limit will automatically go over into a second message that will be sent at the same time (like most phones and like the Rant I switched from), once I hit 160 characters, I am not allowed to input any more text. I have looked at all the messaging settings and can't seem to rectify this. Is anyone else having this problem and its there anything I can do to fix this? I send a lot of longer text messages and it is getting annoying having to stop and make two drafts or go back and truncate my texts. Any input is appreciated, I have the feeling I'm just missing something! Thanks.
  2. #2  
    FocusFreak's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    319 Posts

    Default

    Download Handcent which is much better than the stock messenger anyways, Problem solved.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Does Handcent have a message limit? I see that the stock application only allows 200 messages and then kaput!
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srdiamond View Post
    Does Handcent have a message limit? I see that the stock application only allows 200 messages and then kaput!
    That is 200 messages per thread by default but you should be able to change that if you opening up the messaging app and go to settings and change the limit.
  5. #5  
    eze036's Avatar

    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default

    its a known issue for the nexus at launch...hopefully they fix it
  6. #6  
    blu8503's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 9 and Matr1x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aldonia View Post
    Hello all, just got my Nexus S yesterday and I love it! However, though the user guide says text messages over the 160 character limit will automatically go over into a second message that will be sent at the same time (like most phones and like the Rant I switched from), once I hit 160 characters, I am not allowed to input any more text. I have looked at all the messaging settings and can't seem to rectify this. Is anyone else having this problem and its there anything I can do to fix this? I send a lot of longer text messages and it is getting annoying having to stop and make two drafts or go back and truncate my texts. Any input is appreciated, I have the feeling I'm just missing something! Thanks.
    In the message app hit the menu button and adjust your settings accordingly, the limit is right there
    My name is Matt and I am a......
  7. #7  

    Default

    I think that others may be misunderstanding you. You are complaing about the character limit, not the message limit, right?
  8. #8  

    Default

    I know on the EVO it said how many characters you had so far. If you went over, the recipient would see ( 1 of 3) or whatever. However, the Nexus doesn't even show you what you are at as you type. Oh well
  9. #9  

    Default

    I don't have a Nexus yet, but on my EVO running cm7 if you go into the stock android SMS app, in the settings there is an option you can check for SMS split (basically breaks up SMS messages every 160 characters for when using on CDMA networks) is that option there and can you try checking it and seeing if that helps?

    Or like what was mentioned, handcent or some of the other third party SMS apps do have that option which should solve the problem.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    I know on the EVO it said how many characters you had so far. If you went over, the recipient would see ( 1 of 3) or whatever. However, the Nexus doesn't even show you what you are at as you type. Oh well
    Try handcent, that will do that.
  11. #11  

    Default

    I can confirm this also, I liked typing rants in text messages on my palm pre.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I can confirm this also, I liked typing rants in text messages on my palm pre.
    Same here. The negative things about this phone just keep piling up. I am sick of returning phones!!!
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    I know on the EVO it said how many characters you had so far. If you went over, the recipient would see ( 1 of 3) or whatever. However, the Nexus doesn't even show you what you are at as you type. Oh well
    Did you check in the messaging app settings for a setting that says "Always show character counter"?
  14. #14  

    Default Texting BS

    it does not have anything in the messaging app about character count
  15. #15  

    Default

    Like several people have said a 3rd party sms app fixes this issue. I use go sms and there is a setting buried somewhere in the (from the main sms screen hit menu->send settings->split large messages) that will fix any issues. Sadly forcing the messages to be split is a CDMA limitation and was the same on the palm pre.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Why is forcing the messages to be split a CDMA limitation? As far as I know it's an SMS limitation.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Why is forcing the messages to be split a CDMA limitation? As far as I know it's an SMS limitation.
    GSM carriers support SMS concatenation (long SMS) so SMS can automatically get broken up on the carrier side. Not the same with US CDMA carriers, long SMS isn't supported, so with Sprint, Verizon... the splitting has to be done on the phone itself.
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    GSM carriers support SMS concatenation (long SMS) so SMS can automatically get broken up on the carrier side. Not the same with US CDMA carriers, long SMS isn't supported, so with Sprint, Verizon... the splitting has to be done on the phone itself.
    Palm Pre sure had no issues splitting up my 6 text long rants : )
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    Palm Pre sure had no issues splitting up my 6 text long rants : )
    A lot of the time a CDMA device's sms application will do the splitting on it's own (Just about every phone that I've ever done texting on, going back to the monochrome screens ). That is one thing that Palm had thought about, which is why your messages just worked and no one saw the CDMA limit as a problem. It seems that the sms application on the Nexus is still programmed for the GSM version of the Nexus, as the stock messenger on my Intercept sent long messages just fine.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    GSM carriers support SMS concatenation (long SMS) so SMS can automatically get broken up on the carrier side. Not the same with US CDMA carriers, long SMS isn't supported, so with Sprint, Verizon... the splitting has to be done on the phone itself.
    Ahhh ok that makes sense. I always thought it was done phone-side, but that's just the case with the CDMA providers. Thanks for clearing that up
  21. #21  

    Default

    Curious - this is sort of related to this topic, but move it if it's not. A couple times I sent a long text message and then the person on the other end said it came as all garbled - all letters and numbers mixed up. That doesn't happen if I send short messages. Was wondering if any of you experienced the same issue?
  22. #22  

    Default

    I just contacted Samsung level 3 support. Got a India sounding girl but claims she is in Texas. Anyways she "claimed" she made a report for the Samsung engineers about this problem. I said it is insane you claim in your manual page 231 that "You can send text (SMS) messages of up to 160 characters to another mobile phone.
    If you keep typing after the limit, your message is delivered as a series of messages" which is a straight up lie because this phone stops you at 160 and doesn't let you continue after 160 characters to be sent in a series of messages! We need more people than me to call in about this issue because it is just flat out annoying having to send a message halfway through typing it. Anyways hope we get a update soon!
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasherx2k1 View Post
    I just contacted Samsung level 3 support. Got a India sounding girl but claims she is in Texas. Anyways she "claimed" she made a report for the Samsung engineers about this problem. I said it is insane you claim in your manual page 231 that "You can send text (SMS) messages of up to 160 characters to another mobile phone.
    If you keep typing after the limit, your message is delivered as a series of messages" which is a straight up lie because this phone stops you at 160 and doesn't let you continue after 160 characters to be sent in a series of messages! We need more people than me to call in about this issue because it is just flat out annoying having to send a message halfway through typing it. Anyways hope we get a update soon!
    Just install a 3rd party messaging app, handcent, gosms, chomp sms... and problem solved for now while waiting for an update. Besides, those messaging apps are much more customizable anyway.

    For example, install handcent and then in it, go to settings... send message settings... and then just chose how you want the Split 160 option to work, and you can again send long SMS messages that are automatically split-up without manually doing it.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellesorrisa View Post
    Curious - this is sort of related to this topic, but move it if it's not. A couple times I sent a long text message and then the person on the other end said it came as all garbled - all letters and numbers mixed up. That doesn't happen if I send short messages. Was wondering if any of you experienced the same issue?
    I actually posted about this in another thread. but in Go SMS you need to go to setting form the main screen and then to send settings and there's a "split large messges" option that should be enabled.
    I don't know if there is an equivalent option in handcent.
    Hope that helps
  25. #25  
    olcurt's Avatar

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

    Default Re: Problem with text message character limit?

    I found the exact problem of garbled characters when I used handcent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B