Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    GAM5's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Exclamation Voice Dialing Problems

    Anyone else having problems using voice dialing? It doesn't ever select the contact I say. Anyone else have this issue or have some tips?
  2. #2  

    Default

    I don't seem to have a hard time but my husband has a hard time with his Epic. It was suggested that you use more of a robotic sound when saying what you want.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I have a problem with the voice recognition on the whole. Nothing I say seems to be translated correctly. It seems like the first word in a sentence that I speak is always omitted.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    GAM5's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default

    I use Exchange only for my email, contacts and calendar and I found out voice dial and search only works if you have your info in gmail and on the Google servers which sucks.
  5. #5  

    Default

    saying call "name" at "home" usually works better then saying call "mom" "home". throw the word "AT" in between the two and it helps in the deciphering process.

    I have a BluAnt ST3 and its waaaaay harder for it to understand me than when i had my blackberry. also it picks up what im saying easier when im not on a bluetooth device. i dont understand why though.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I don't remember reading anywhere that said you could voice dial through a bluetooth headset with this phone. I looked and looked and did not find it. Remember about 7 years ago when that was a major selling feature of every cell phone you could buy and they were also considered "dumb" phones? I sure do. I wonder why they discontinued that feature? They keep building handsfree ways to dial a number into a car so you don't have to take your eyes off the road but take out the feature from the phone for the folks that can't afford that accessory? None of my cars have it and they are not old cars. It's nice that you can talk to this phone and it will dial a number for you but dialing from a headset would be so much better.
  7. #7  
    ortam's Avatar

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default

    One thing I have noticed is that Voice search does not work if you have no data connection, which I thought was kind of weird.
  8. #8  
    AndroidOne's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

    Default

    and
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnuf View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that Voice search does not work if you have no data connection, which I thought was kind of weird.
    Voice commands are not resolved locally on the headset, but rather the query is transmitted to Google resolved by their "cloud" servers. That is why you need a data connection for it to work.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    I don't remember reading anywhere that said you could voice dial through a bluetooth headset with this phone. I looked and looked and did not find it. Remember about 7 years ago when that was a major selling feature of every cell phone you could buy and they were also considered "dumb" phones? I sure do. I wonder why they discontinued that feature? They keep building handsfree ways to dial a number into a car so you don't have to take your eyes off the road but take out the feature from the phone for the folks that can't afford that accessory? None of my cars have it and they are not old cars. It's nice that you can talk to this phone and it will dial a number for you but dialing from a headset would be so much better.
    I can voice dial from any of my three bluetooth connections... Two headsets and a car. Both of the headsets yield horribly inaccurate results though. I think the car uses its own downloaded copy of the phone book to make the voice match, then uses the phone simply as a phone connection.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    I don't remember reading anywhere that said you could voice dial through a bluetooth headset with this phone. I looked and looked and did not find it. Remember about 7 years ago when that was a major sellinlpg feature of every cell phone you could buy and they were also considered "dumb" phones? I sure do. I wonder why they discontinued that feature? They keep building handsfree ways to dial a number into a car so you don't have to take your eyes off the road but take out the feature from the phone for the folks that can't afford that accessory? None of my cars have it and they are not old cars. It's nice that you can talk to this phone and it will dial a number for you but dialing from a headset would be so much better.
    I can voice dial through my logitech m100 headset just fine.
  11. #11  

    Default

    The problem I have is voice dialing from the headset when the screen is locked or off. Anyone know how to get bluetooth voice dial to unlock the screen when you hit your headset button?
  12. #12  

    Default

    Where do you turn on the voice dialing from a headset? There use to be a place in the phone specifically for that function but I can only see voice dialing (to the phone itself) not through the headset.
  13. #13  

    Default

    I had to hold down the function button on my headset with the phone unlocked and the headset paired and connected. Then, when the phone got the signal from the long hold from the headset, it prompted me for which voice dialing app I wanted to use. Depending on which headset you have, your mileage may vary...
  14. #14  

    Default

    I guess mine isn't one of the voice dialing ones. That's ok my phone recognizes my voice pretty well without using the headset to dial.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maryinredding View Post
    I guess mine isn't one of the voice dialing ones. That's ok my phone recognizes my voice pretty well without using the headset to dial.
    What kind of headset do you have?
  16. #16  

    Default

    I have a Plantronic Pro. It is the most comfortable headset that I have ever had and the sound is the best both incoming and outgoing
  17. #17  

    Default

    Ok, I figured it out. I can dial from my headset but the phone doesn't recognize it very well. I think I will stick with just talking directly at the phone. It works so much better.
  18. #18  

    Default

    FYI- if anyone is having problems with the standard voice commands, try vlingo... It works really well for me.
    Last edited by drewsonian; 05-24-2011 at 06:27 AM.

Posting Permissions