New to Android/Need app advice

EtulfNicks

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Bought a Nexus S yesterday after 3 years plus on a Blackberry. Loving it so far. The app store is awesome, but huge. Where does a newbie start? What are some must haves? I didn't do a lot on my BB except check my email and play Brickbreaker.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Bought a Nexus S yesterday after 3 years plus on a Blackberry. Loving it so far. The app store is awesome, but huge. Where does a newbie start? What are some must haves? I didn't do a lot on my BB except check my email and play Brickbreaker.

Welcome to Android Central and to Android!

Where to start is a great question, especially when first switching to the platform and a pretty awesome device in the NS4G.

I would suggest just browsing the "top apps" for a bit. As you have your phone for a while you'll think like, "wow, I wish I had an app that did this.." and 9 times out of 10 one is probably already there.

One of the first things I've noticed a lot of people like to do are to try out different keyboards and maybe get a customizable screen brightness widget. As far as other utilities/widgets go, that's really a question of preference, that for me personally has changed numerous times. You may find the stock system setting widgets are all you need, or you may want something like Extended Controls, or beautiful widgets or fancy widget - there's really a lot.

Depending on your gaming needs, there are games that go between time consumers (like angry birds) to epic type adventures.

Media options are even most vast, from apps that will sit on your at home PC and actually stream videos to your phone, or an app like Tune In Radio which lets you listen to any radio station from anywhere.

You should check out the Amazon app store as well, they give away one paid a day, also the amazon cloud mp3 player is pretty cool as well if you ever buy mp3s from amazon or want a place to store your music in the cloud to listen to it from anywhere.

It all really depends on your life style, productivity and entertainment needs. The one thing I would say is don't shy away from paid apps, the developers in the android community for the most part really work hard to provide updates and listen to customer feedback.

congrats on your NS4G!

Reactions: EtulfNicks

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Facebook, Mint (awesome mobile banking, budgeting, ect.), GoSMS (upgraded and customizable messaging), Swype (a absolute must for me), beautiful widgets... I think those are all musts at least for me. Other good ones I have so far are Pandora, Redbox, Wikipedia, Firefox (can sync it to your computers firefox).

Reactions: EtulfNicks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad