Can I disable getting my text messages through Google voice?

swissarmy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
One of the limits at the current time for google voice is that text & voice notifications are only under the same setting. Therefore, You either get double notifications for texting in the status bar or you get the single notification in the status bar for either a voice message or a text in google voice. I use the google voice widget on my main screen which show the most current voice message. Hope this helps...

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
this is not true, under voice go to settings, uncheck the top box (something like sync) and check text message notifications.

sign out of google voice app on your phone and do not use it.

you will get a text for voicemails, and all your text messages will go through the stock messaging app and save in gv.

swissarmy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
this is not true, under voice go to settings, uncheck the top box (something like sync) and check text message notifications.

sign out of google voice app on your phone and do not use it.

you will get a text for voicemails, and all your text messages will go through the stock messaging app and save in gv.

Will you still get the voicemail notifications once you have signed off the google voice app on your phone? I guess I just misunderstood the question?

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I fixed my be re-provisioning my Google Voice account with my SPrint number from the website, and then just not signing into the app.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Why am I getting a text message for the a voicemail through my regular messaging app?

Got it I had to disable it on my PC account.

Last edited:

Nate79

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Why am I getting a text message for the a voicemail through my regular messaging app?

Got it I had to disable it on my PC account.
Where did you go to disable this? Also, you said it's working fine, does that mean you are signed into GV and are getting your texts through your default text app? I just integrated my Sprint number with GV today and I don't really know how to use it yet. Thanks!

mr.jcarter

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The following settings will allow you to use the Voice app on your phone to read/listen to voicemails, while leaving phone calls and text to the default apps:
(You must have a GV number obviously, as what you are doing is just forwarding your voicemails from Sprint to Google)

1. If you've integrated your GV and Sprint number together, go into the GV settings on your computer and separate them.
2. On the computer, click the "Activate Google voicemail on this phone" link and follow the steps there, dialing *28+your GV number from your Nexus
---(Optional) Also on the computer, go into the Voicemail & Text settings tab and uncheck both the Voicemail Notification checkboxes, you're already going to be getting notified from the Voice app on your phone
3.Now on your phone, sign into the GV app
4.Click on the "Sync and notifications" and make sure "Synchronize Inbox" and "Inbox notifications" are both checked.

If you did the Optional step above, now when someone leaves you a voicemail you won't bombarded with texts, emails and voicemails. The Voice app will just leave a notification icon.

Reactions: ugodrainville

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
as to not clutter up the board........in my Call Settings > Voicemail Service > i dont have the option to use Google Voice, only My Carrier.

Is this right? I just got a voicemail and it routed it through my old YouMail instead.

Im almost positive it was an option last night when I got the phone.

mr.jcarter

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
as to not clutter up the board........in my Call Settings > Voicemail Service > i dont have the option to use Google Voice, only My Carrier.

Is this right? I just got a voicemail and it routed it through my old YouMail instead.

Yes, that is what I have as well. Check out the settings I posted above your comment.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Well the reason why I didn't have the option of using Google Voice as the voicemail handler instead of my carrier is because after the plan change was made last night, something in the provisions got messed up and I no longer have full integration where my Sprint number acts as my Google Voice number.

Bless their hearts but none of the Sprint techs could figure out anything to do to get it back. Besides that, everything is working as it should be so I will probably just forget about it. It was nice having texting options on my computer as well as handset, but I'll live.

Last edited:

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got mine set up to where GV is running in the back round, meaning it is on but no notifications.
While all my text msgs are running on the stock app and at the same time I get a text from myself that I got a voice mail and it transcribs the vm out for me (all in the text msg app). If I want to listen to the vm, I have to open up the GV app, which since is running everything also has a duplicate of my texts.
Believe it or not, since making this switch I rarely choose to listen to vms and it has increased my battery life.
Also, I prefer using the stock messaging app because GV cannot send picture texts or texts while on a call. And it was annoying that it would occasionally start a new thread for texts from the same persons.
Much happier this way, I get to keep my GV going while not having to use it!!! Still get free calls to my family in Canada (and texts threw GV only) but reg text msgs in the stock app!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress