Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Unhappy 3G Problems

    So, I can't seem to get 3G at the office with my new Nexus S. My Palm Pre always got great 3G reception at my office. I checked with one of my coworkers who owns an Evo, and she was getting 3G, but I was not when standing right next to her.

    I tried updating my PRL and profile, but that didn't help. Is there anything else I can try before taking it in to the Sprint store?
  2. #2  

    Default

    I'm having the same problem. I did a battery pull and then i started getting it.
    craigwann likes this.
  3. #3  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Update: battery pull seems to fix the issue. Hope this is a permanent solution.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwann View Post
    Update: battery pull seems to fix the issue. Hope this is a permanent solution.
    I was having the same issue with my Nexus S. My Hero would get 3 to 4 bars and the Nexus maybe got 1. I actually returned mine to best buy and went back to the Hero. Let me know if the Battery Pull fixed the issue permanently. If so I may give it a second try.
  6. #6  
    jnl813's Avatar

    Posts
    771 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

    Default

    Trying it now.... will be back in an hour to testify.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Somewhere in Phone Pad there should be a setting for Automatic or Sprint Only. If it's on Auto that's your problem. Set it to Sprint Only. I still have my Pre- :/ so I don't know the exact sequence to find Network Settings on Nexus. Good luck
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiley_11 View Post
    Somewhere in Phone Pad there should be a setting for Automatic or Sprint Only. If it's on Auto that's your problem. Set it to Sprint Only. I still have my Pre- :/ so I don't know the exact sequence to find Network Settings on Nexus. Good luck
    Please explain why that would help. It didn't seem to increase my signal strength, but maybe I didn't give it long enough.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cadence06 View Post
    I was having the same issue with my Nexus S. My Hero would get 3 to 4 bars and the Nexus maybe got 1. I actually returned mine to best buy and went back to the Hero. Let me know if the Battery Pull fixed the issue permanently. If so I may give it a second try.
    It worked for me all day. Had enough signal to play pandora the rest of the day with no problem. We'll see if it works when I get to work in the morning. Signal seems weak overall though as compared to my wife's epic. I only have 1-2 bars all the time. Wifi is even worse.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default

    Just had a thought. Could it be the settings > mobile networks > data roaming? It is currently unchecked, and gives me a warning that i could incur significant charges if I attempt to check it. Would I really be charged?
  11. #11  
    croz's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default

    I am in the same boat as the rest except I have great WiFi. My CDMA signal in my house is 0 to 1 bar and I always get the data roaming notification. I had a hero and always had great signal strength in my home. I have returned 1 NS4G to best buy today just thinking I had a bad antena. BUt, the new phone is just as bad as the first phone. I think that they all suffer from poor antena strength. We'll see when the problem grows too big for Sprint to deny.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Well I guess I am not the only one with signal problems. This may have been the reason for the delay in the release and the quick update, but it is not fixed and I am not happy.
  13. #13  

    Default

    I have no problems with 3G, 4G, or WiFi here in Maryland. I purchased my phone from a Sprint store. Thsoe of you having problems, are you in the same geographic area of the country (midwest, northeast, etc).? Also, where did you get your phones? Am wondering if the problem is geographic or a specific batch of phones sent to an area/store.

    Also, I have a Netgear 3700 v2 router which recently (last 4 weeks) received a firmware upgrade that was supposed to help IMPROVE communication between this router and mobile phones/tablets/etc. Have you guys checked to see if your routers have the latest firmware?
  14. #14  

    Default

    Just got back from the Sprint Corporate Store. I told them that I was getting 1 bar of signal at home and my 3G would go down to 1xrt. My wife has a Sprint phone and hers gets great reception at home.

    I would also see my signal jump from 4 bars all the way down to 1, almost like the death grip issue people saw on the iPhone 4.

    Sprint ran it through diagnostics and the phone failed the signal/antenna tests. Not sure what they use to test it, but they gave me a brand new Nexus S. I'll report as I start using my phone at work and at home.

    Moral of the story - don't hesitate to have Sprint test your phone. This is a "phone" and therefore should function as one. Just my two cents.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Just got back from the Sprint Corporate Store. I told them that I was getting 1 bar of signal at home and my 3G would go down to 1xrt. My wife has a Sprint phone and hers gets great reception at home.

    I would also see my signal jump from 4 bars all the way down to 1, almost like the death grip issue people saw on the iPhone 4.

    Sprint ran it through diagnostics and the phone failed the signal/antenna tests. Not sure what they use to test it, but they gave me a brand new Nexus S. I'll report as I start using my phone at work and at home.

    Moral of the story - don't hesitate to have Sprint test your phone. This is a "phone" and therefore should function as one. Just my two cents.
    Yeah sprint offered to test my phone, I thought it was a "bull" test. But maybe ill give that a go. Do you notice anything different as is right now? More bars anything?

    I entirely don't want to reinstall all my apps. I wonder if I could create a image then use restore it on the new one?
  16. #16  

    Default

    @Klownicle. My signal is pretty steady here at work, (3G and 4G) and was able to download my apps pretty quickly. However it sucks that I have to reinstall my ringtones, pics and vids.

    I've used MyBackup Pro in the past and will likely start using it on this phone just in case I ever need to do a factory reset or have the phone replaced. The app will save your sms, settings, apps etc. and you can restore them on another device.

    Once I get home, I'll update my post to see if I see the big swings in data/signal.

Posting Permissions