Gallery App Slow

TZeruk

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've searched around for an answer but haven't seemed to find a definitive one. This seems to be a problem w/ the Nexus phones in general. Whenever I connect the phone to my computer via USB and add some photos into a photo folder I created and then disconnect and load up the gallery app, it's excruciatingly slow to finish loading. Not only that, but every time I enter the gallery app it says "Loading new albums and photos".

I don't remember this problem w/ the Epic ... perhaps because that had an actual sd card. Has anyone else experienced this or found a fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

csementuh

May 4, 2011
Visit site
No fix, but I am too experiencing this problem. I am not new to Android, but I am new to having an Android phone, so this is the first time I've have this many pictures loaded on my device. What is the best way to manage a ton of pics in Android? Stock gallery (hopefully faster!) or a 3rd party app? The gallery being this slowwww and unorganized makes it very hard to manage.

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the Gallery3D in 2.3.4 is terribly slow and is almost inexcusable. Google has obviously moved away from the 3D Gallery for Honeycomb and probably Ice Cream Sandwich. Instead, use JustPictures! which is an AMAZING Gallery available for Free in the Market.

If you are still in love with Gallery3D, do this.

Root your phone. Delete the app from /system/app/Gallery3DGoogle.apk and instead take the G3D from any CM7 ROM and replace it as Gallery3DGoogle.apk.

I attached the APK if you are too lazy to get it yourself.

Reactions: TZeruk

csementuh

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys! Any suggestions for a gallery app that shows pics in a hierarchy of folders they are organized in instead of lumping them all together?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys! Any suggestions for a gallery app that shows pics in a hierarchy of folders they are organized in instead of lumping them all together?

JustPictures! on the Market.

ss-0-320-480-160-2-ca008573bc7de8c63a02a25623e29031638a8739
ss-3-320-480-160-0-515d1a2d058e05e4331004450af9cc5628e31364

csementuh

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I tried both suggestions but it doesn't seem like justpics! integrates with the default gallery. I was hoping for something ridiculously simple like the win mobile 6 pic gallery browsers which were basically just a folder view that allowed fullscreen.

TZeruk

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses ... I'll try some of these out.

I've gone from the iPhone -> Epic4G -> Palm -> Nexus so I've seen all the OSs out there and to be honest, google's 3d gallery is probably the nicest of them all. I really liked their UI design as well in the submenus for that (and the camera as well). Really hoped they went more in that direction but it sounds like they're moving away from it.

Wonder if they're working on a fix for this at least ... because, as someone mentioned, that's pretty inexcusible.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It will be more productive to post these issues and features requests on the appropriate Google support forums so that the developer team have a chance to address those.

dparisoe

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked to see if the phone is syncing your picasa albums. It seems to do that by default, which for me is a feature that I like, but turning that off on your sync settings for your google account may speed things up.

I'm not sure, I haven't tried it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
there is no setting to turn off picasa syncing (by default). i'm assuming you meant that you have to install Picasa first in order for the sync option to be available for selection?

dparisoe

May 10, 2011
Visit site
there is no setting to turn off picasa syncing (by default). i'm assuming you meant that you have to install Picasa first in order for the sync option to be available for selection?

Go to Settings > Accounts & Sync Settings > gmail accout there should be a checkbox for picasa web albums. At least I have one.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20