Anyone with poor wireless and signal issues...

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
It's not a gingerbread issue because I was running cm7 on my evo and never had these issues.

My nexus is constantly dropping to 1x data service and timing out on sending messages through google voice; which is very irritating. Even next to my router in the office I'm only getting 3 bars of signal.

At least for me, this issue is definitely not being blown out of proportion. I never had nearly this many issues with data signal on my evo.

I'm wondering if the T-Mobile nexus s users had any issues like this, or if it has something to do with the addition of the 4g radio/software drivers.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Seems its with the 2.3.4 update. A Google team member posted on their forum that they were investigating it, but that was May 2nd. Kinda slow to get this worked out. Stupid for them to release a phone knowing the version its running has these issues.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was going to say where do we need to go to let Google know? But I figured since this is a Google phone they would be getting all this data...right?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It appears - on my phone, at least - to only be protected wifi networks. When I try entering the passcode for my home router it just doesn't "stick" and loses the connection. The Sprint rep today was able to reproduce the wifi issue in-store today on the store's protected network. The public wifi they have worked fine...and so does the wifi down in the lobby of my office building, which is also unprotected.

He suggested a hard reset, which I've done...but I can't test if it works until I get home and try again on a protected wifi network.

yobyeknom

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm having these issues as well. According to Sprint's Coverage Map I'm supposed to be getting Best Coverage in my house and neighborhood and I'm lucky to hold onto a bar. I'm at -96dBm most of the time and sometimes dropping to -101dBm. I managed to connect to 4g on the other side of my block despite the fact that I'm listed as an In-building 4G area. This is ridiculous. I tested an EVO on loan from my SMB rep from Sprint and I was usually at a couple of bars at least and 3g coverage seemed good as well. I have 11 of these to roll out at work and I'm not feeling confident. I've gotten four bars elsewhere. Is Sprint's Coverage map just fantasy then or is there something else going on?
Hope someone fixes this soon.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm having these issues as well. According to Sprint's Coverage Map I'm supposed to be getting Best Coverage in my house and neighborhood and I'm lucky to hold onto a bar. I'm at -96dBm most of the time and sometimes dropping to -101dBm. I managed to connect to 4g on the other side of my block despite the fact that I'm listed as an In-building 4G area. This is ridiculous. I tested an EVO on loan from my SMB rep from Sprint and I was usually at a couple of bars at least and 3g coverage seemed good as well. I have 11 of these to roll out at work and I'm not feeling confident. I've gotten four bars elsewhere. Is Sprint's Coverage map just fantasy then or is there something else going on?
Hope someone fixes this soon.

Funny thing is, despite often having zero bars lit up, I've never actually had a call drop. I'm wondering if a lot of it is due to inaccurate (or overly conservative) display instead of actual signal reception problems.

4G and wifi are definitely issues, mind you, but I wonder if the bars showing up is separate.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Funny thing is, despite often having zero bars lit up, I've never actually had a call drop. I'm wondering if a lot of it is due to inaccurate (or overly conservative) display instead of actual signal reception problems.

No, its not, its a very real issue. Look around on the Sprint forums and you will see pages of people saying their phone is being affected. Google has also admitted there is an issue back on May 2nd and they are looking into it. Whatever that means, its been almost 3 weeks since they said that and still nothing...

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's a couple posts from NastyNate208 that might shed some light on 3G issues. From Sprint Comm. forums....................

"For everyone comparing the signal indicator to the EVO/Epic/Shift/etc.. remember that the Nexus S has a "true" mobile network indicator. So when the NS4G shows 1X and the EVO(or other device) shows 3G, its simply because the EVO does not indicate the correct network technology, it always says "3G".

Also, AOSP devices (NS4G) have a different algorithm for calculating the signal, its more of an underestimation (in laymans terms). The NS4G also only has 4 indicator bars where the EVO/Shift/etc has 7.

These are just factors to take into consideration.

I also have the NS4G (since launch) and have experienced this issue to a small degree. Nothing worth returning the phone for though. What this phone has to offer is the rare instance of the Android Open Source Project, which is certainly not for everybody. So if this is a dealbreaker, return while you can. But take into consideration the facts provided above before doing so."

"Whoah calm down everyone. I was simply stating facts regarding the signal reporting differences. I am not implying anyone is incorrect in what they are saying... Just trying to help.

After a little more investigation I believe the issue is being caused by the Samsung driver build. I am quite certain its not the Sprint network, which is good news for everyone because an OTA can easily fix this.

However I encourage everyone to do the following as no company is going to fix an issue because people are crying on a forum. We need to give some numbers. If everyone in this thread gave the following info, Samsung/Sprint would have something to work with.

-Zip Code where issue occurs

-Build# (settings, about, bottom of page)

-dbm reading (setting, about, status, signal)

-baseband version (settings, about)

-GRJ22

-76dbm

-D720SPRKD8

Hopefully we will all have similar or the same reporting. Then when they look at this thread, it will prove this is not happening because a select few don't have the correct software or that we are just not having strong signal to begin with. The lower the dbm the stronger the microwave is (60-120 is the spectrum)

I encourage everyone to do this, then when we have 10-20 someone can forward this message to a tech."

Here's the link to Sprint Comm Forums......

Sprint Community: Signal Issues with Nexus S

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Again, its NOT an issue with the signal indicator. A signal indicator doesnt drop calls, not connect to WIFI, not get 4G while another Sprint phone right next to it has full 4G bars etc...Luckily my phone works fine at my house but I experienced these problems first hand at a restaurant I always had great reception with my Evo but my Nexus was running slow and nearly unusable. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
On all my other sprint phones I can drive to and from work everyday streaming Pandora and jango via Bluetooth. Been doing this for a couple years without an issue. With the NS4G I spend about 50% of the exact same drive with either no signal or fluxuating from evdo and 1xrtt.

For fun I activated an old android before work today and streamed Pandora without a hickup all the way into work. Prior to leaving work I activated the NS4G ... I turned Pandora off out of frustration half way home and listened to terrestrial radio. Proof enough for me that's its certainly not a display issue.

Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

yobyeknom

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it can't just be a signal indicator issue. Unless, maybe Sprint's coverage map isn't accurate.
I keed! There are multiple reports of people having no problems with other Android devices in the same location so there must be something wrong with the phone.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Again, its NOT an issue with the signal indicator. A signal indicator doesnt drop calls, not connect to WIFI, not get 4G while another Sprint phone right next to it has full 4G bars etc...Luckily my phone works fine at my house but I experienced these problems first hand at a restaurant I always had great reception with my Evo but my Nexus was running slow and nearly unusable. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

I'm curious as to which setting you guys are on in settings>mobile networks>roaming. Automatic or Sprint Only? If your on Auto try Sprint Only, If your on Sprint Only disregard this post. :D

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
it could be a sprint issue as aosp roms read data for the signal not radio. BUT i believe we should come together and make it known that this is an issue that needs to be fixed by both sprint & google. i know the low signal is causing high battery drain. other than that i love the phone but id love to see something done about this.

maybe this site can post a front page story about it? xda is sorta dragging it's heals atm.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to which setting you guys are on in settings>mobile networks>roaming. Automatic or Sprint Only? If your on Auto try Sprint Only, If your on Sprint Only disregard this post. :D

by "Sprint Only" did you mean "Home Only"? that was my only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty