Stock Email App Question

mlief

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
New Nexus S 4G owner migrated over from Palm Pre- (launch day owner for 2 years). Looking for help from the more experienced on here. Getting used to Android experience. Definitely impressed by the depth of the OS (ability to customize), the wonderful camera features, etc.

Have searched forums and posts to try and learn as much as I can on my own - however feel the need to post on here for some help on one particular issue: the stock email app.

Have not gotten a clear answer on whether the stock email cilent simply does not have the ability to handle Exchange and Hotmail - and when I say handle I mean where a user has push email and on the other end, updated folders where archived/moved emails out of the inbox are sync'd and updated with web/outlook sync (and vice-versa).

Do users really have to download a third-party email client to do this? If this is the case, I am sadly disappointed in Google - by neutering these apps, they get users to migrate to their services such as Gmail. But this seems really crummy.. At least WebOS was able to have the email client handle all of this, with a unified inbox, without much fuss/tweaking.

Thank you in advance.

tomj96

May 19, 2011
Visit site
When I had my Droid Incredible the stock email app was able to sync my Exchange account in near real-time but that was HTC's email app. There were minor annoyances but I was able to move items between folders, delete etc... and everything would sync fine. Not sure of the differences between HTC's Android email app and this one though.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The stock email will not enable push for these accounts. From my understanding the actual way push works with gmail is through google talk running in the backround at all times.

This doesn't help but Yahoo has it's own app in the market that actually has push notifications for yahoo email. As far as I know there isn't any for hotmail from windows like that. (I can see why).

This never bothered me as I've been using gmail since the beta days and haven't used hotmail since then. (Actually I think I had yahoo at the time).

However, I do have a school email address that is hotmail. Here's what I did:

You probably have a google account on your phone already. If you go on the desktop version of gmail website: in the settings there is POP mail settings. Here you can set up another email address, IE Hotmail like I did, and google will grab the mail from that server. It would essentially be pushing notifications from that account to your phone. (Because it's coming in through gmail.) You can set up tags for the emails from that account to easily identifiy.

I know there is a setting within POP on gmail that will allow you to send emails from that email address (IE Hotmail) through the website. I'm not sure about through the app though.

As far as the folders I thought they would sync. When I first got my epic I set up the email through the stock email app (Not knowing it didn't push) and my folders where there.

I haven't actually used a non gmail account on this phone so that's the best answer I could give you.

Hope that helps a little as far as push notifications for those accounts.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
...I know there is a setting within POP on gmail that will allow you to send emails from that email address (IE Hotmail) through the website. I'm not sure about through the app though.

Yes it does indeed, you can originate an email on your phone's Gmail and send it under a different email account, I do it all the time. I have three (non-google) email accounts I have setup this way so all are pushed to my gmail app and I can answer using the particular email address where they originated so the recipient never knows it was answered through gmail. The only thing you need to do to use this feature on your handset is set it on the web mail site and your are done, the gmail app configures itself automatically.

As far as stock PIM apps in pure Google, they are pure simple and sometimes disappointing. Being a long time Palm OS user I really miss how Palm got it right from get go but most other OS's can't. If you need more functionality, sadly you need to get a third party app. Good news is that there are great apps with tons of settings and full capability for the wonderful price of FREE.

Love Android because it gives you the choice of using the stock app, or anything else you may want or need instead.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I have to give it to webos. Synergy and email was awesome on it. not the same on android yet.

I actually switched my email from yahoo to gmail and haven't looked back but only thing I can't get use to is the stupid conversations in gmail. I wish google would allow us to disable it on mobile client like it does on the website

JamesHaessler

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
actually you can do push mail with Hotmail , all you have to do is menu>settings>accounts& sync>add acc, > select corporate,
email address
passw
username= email address

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
actually you can do push mail with Hotmail , all you have to do is menu>settings>accounts& sync>add acc, > select corporate,
email address
passw
username= email address

You forgot the server.

PUSH EMAIL SETTINGS FOR HOTMAIL/MSN on ANDROID

Choose "Corporate Account"
Set account up manually.

Username= full emaill address (name@hotmail.com)
Password= your password
Server= m.hotmail.com

Back to the OP - I can not move messages between folders using the stock app, but it certainly is push.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34