Questions...

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
1. Hows the battery life if 4G is on all day with minor use (Syncing apps, Texting, Etc)
2. Does NoLED affect the battery greatly?
3. Is the docking accessory worth it?
4. How is the reception of the GPS Navigation?
4.1. Do you need at least a 3G connection for it to work?
4.2. Does it use satellites from space or the actual mobile towers to get the GPS working?
4.3. How accurate is the GPS?
4.4. Is it a good replacement for a Tomtom or any other dedicated Navigation devices?
4.5. Is it turn by turn with voice?
5. How does the AMOLED display do in the sunshine?
6. Is the phone durable? (I like to walk a lot)
7. Does the phone feel good in a pocket (Your personal experience)
8. How loud is the ringer and vibration?
9. Does live wallpaper kill the battery?
10. Do the headphones that come with the phone have good bass and sound quality?

Sorry for all the question but I never had an Android device before. I'm going to go to Best Buy Mobile tomorrow and get 2 of these phones for $100 each. :)

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
1. Hows the battery life if 4G is on all day with minor use (Syncing apps, Texting, Etc)Battery life for me has been great compared to the Pre I had before. I am averaging 13 hours of normal/heavy use.
2. Does NoLED affect the battery greatly?Not that I can tell, although I dont usually let it run for an extended time, I check my notifications.
3. Is the docking accessory worth it?Dont have it, would like to try it though. Common perception is that it is kind of expensive
4. How is the reception of the GPS Navigation?GPS Nav for me is great. The first time I turned it on I was on my couch looking out the window to my backyard and it thought i was in my backyard. I have used it multiple times and it is dead on for driving directions.
4.1. Do you need at least a 3G connection for it to work?Not sure but I dont think so, I believe GPS is seperate from data. Not sure about that though.
4.2. Does it use satellites from space or the actual mobile towers to get the GPS working?I believe it uses both because there is an option for both GPS tracking and mobile tower tracking.
4.3. How accurate is the GPS?Like I said, its been great for me so far.
4.4. Is it a good replacement for a Tomtom or any other dedicated Navigation devices?Yes, I like the Nav app that comes on the Nexus S a lot. It has a lot of options (satelight view) and it turns so that the direction you are goin always points forward on the device. It is better than the Sprint Nav on my Pre was, only because I like the turning screen.
4.5. Is it turn by turn with voice?yes. you can mute the voice if you want.
5. How does the AMOLED display do in the sunshine?It does ok with the auto setting. It does great setting the device brightness a little brighter yourself. Just wish the auto brightness made it brighter outside, but its not a problem reading it. Your colors just arent quite as vibrant.
6. Is the phone durable? (I like to walk a lot)Yes, shockingly I have dropped my phone teice already and I cant even tell. I believe that is why the screen is curved...if you drop it it doesnt scrape the entire screen.
7. Does the phone feel good in a pocket (Your personal experience)This is actually one of the more major differences between the Nexus and the EVO/EPIC. The evo and epic are beautiful phones, very well built. But they are much heavier and slightly bigger. The heaviness is the main drawback though. The NExus is a lot lighter than them. Doesnt feel as good as my Pre, but I havent noticed it being a problem yet.
8. How loud is the ringer and vibration?I havent found a ringer I like yet. The volume is fine, but I will search the market for a new one. Vibration is also a letdown. I missed the first couple calls because I was use to a more noticable vibration with the Pre.
9. Does live wallpaper kill the battery? I'm sure it doesnt help, but I didnt notice a difference changing between the two.
10. Do the headphones that come with the phone have good bass and sound quality?I have no idea. I have my own. I would bet you that it probably isnt great though.

Sorry for all the question but I never had an Android device before. I'm going to go to Best Buy Mobile tomorrow and get 2 of these phones for $100 each. :)

My answers are above, how do you get them for $100/each?

Reactions: khamvongsa09

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My answers are above, how do you get them for $100/each?

Since I'm new to Sprint, Best Buy Mobile at Mall of America (Not sure if the "regular" stores are doing it) is doing a promotion where they take an additional $50 off any phone from any carrier. So lets say you renew your contract on Sprint, the Nexus S 4G would be $150 each. But if your new (never been a Sprint customer), they will take $50 off that $150. The Evo Shift is also $100 there too if you are new.

Thanks for answering my questions.. I'm going to pick up 2 Nexus S 4Gs today. Can't wait..

Also, can anyone tell me more information about the GPS Navigation? Thanks...

oxeneers

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Since I'm new to Sprint, Best Buy Mobile at Mall of America (Not sure if the "regular" stores are doing it) is doing a promotion where they take an additional $50 off any phone from any carrier. So lets say you renew your contract on Sprint, the Nexus S 4G would be $150 each. But if your new (never been a Sprint customer), they will take $50 off that $150. The Evo Shift is also $100 there too if you are new.

Thanks for answering my questions.. I'm going to pick up 2 Nexus S 4Gs today. Can't wait..

You seem to be super hung up on the GPS navigation features. You can read tons and tons of reviews online about Google Navigation and Google Maps in general if you look around. As far as the GPS on the Nexus S 4G is concerned, it is leaps and bounds better than most phones out there. For instance, the EVO Shift 4G has a terrible GPS that can take up to 5 minutes from a cold boot to get a GPS lock.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

What else would you like to know? Someone mentioned this above and I think it is important enough to point out again. GPS finds your location pretty quick on the nexus. On my pre, it would take up to a minute to get a real location. the nexus does it in about 10 sec.

What phone are you coming from? that will help some people figure out what you will expect and what you won't.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
What else would you like to know? Someone mentioned this above and I think it is important enough to point out again. GPS finds your location pretty quick on the nexus. On my pre, it would take up to a minute to get a real location. the nexus does it in about 10 sec.

What phone are you coming from? that will help some people figure out what you will expect and what you won't.

I'm coming from a "dumb" phone (LG Rumor 2). I just wanted to know if the phone actually connects to GPS satellites in space or does it connect to the mobile phone towers.

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It definitely uses gps satellites in space. Just checked. Apparently I cannot take screenshots without being rooted and I'm not rooted, or I would show you.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes GPS works without 3G. Also i believe that new version of google maps caches the route information so even if you have no wireless coverage while you are traveling you will still get the navigation. also you have 3d navigation option as well as new features that gives you buildings outline in major cities where its available.

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes GPS works without 3G. Also i believe that new version of google maps caches the route information so even if you have no wireless coverage while you are traveling you will still get the navigation. also you have 3d navigation option as well as new features that gives you buildings outline in major cities where its available.

Alright, thanks everyone for your answers...

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i have other questions - might as well post here

what happened to DLNA?
is there a way to shut off music? i see pause, not stop and it's always running under running services
is there a way to get voice mail notifications from google voice but NOT gv text notifications?

thanks!

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
1) no idea. don't use it.
2) when u pause it android handles the task for u. if u want to kill it, go into manage apps, running and stop it
3)i don't think u can. not sure as i have separate google voice number that i use

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to get voice mail notifications from google voice but NOT gv text notifications?

No. Easily the biggest shortfall in GV and it's even less functional on the Nexus S series as it runs an updated GV for video support.

Here's how I do it. In the online version of GV (www.google.com/voice) I have it set up to send me a text notification of new VM (it also attempts to transcribe). I sign out of GV on the phone when I'm not using it for video chat.

Thus all texts still come to my preferred SMS app and the VM notification comes in the form of a text message. Best I can figure out right now until Google does the right thing and separates the two.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae