Nexus S 4G or stay with Evo 4G?

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Nexus S 4G has been out for awhile I thought I would ask what people think about ditching my Evo 4G and opting for the NS4G? There have been a few other threads about this topic but most were discussed before the NS4G was released. I have a pretty good handle on the Vanilla vs Sense topic as I have tried the AOSP roms and now the 2.3.3 w/ Sense 3.0 on the Evo. I'm more concerned with:

1 - Hardware quality
2 - Screen comparison
3 - Reception (I see that has been an issue for some)
4 - Speed
5 - Graphics

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Nexus S 4G has been out for awhile I thought I would ask what people think about ditching my Evo 4G and opting for the NS4G? There have been a few other threads about this topic but most were discussed before the NS4G was released. I have a pretty good handle on the Vanilla vs Sense topic as I have tried the AOSP roms and now the 2.3.3 w/ Sense 3.0 on the Evo. I'm more concerned with:

1 - Hardware quality -
2 - Screen comparison
4 - Speed
5 - Graphics

Here are my thoughts on the Nexus S

1 - Hardware quality - Perfect. No issues at all. Feels great in the hand. Its so light to. Plus for me.
2 - Screen comparison - All of my buddies have the Evo and when you stack the screens together the win is the Nexus all the way.
3 - Reception (I see that has been an issue for some) No issue on call quality for me. Every works well
4 - Speed. Speed against the Evo is slightly better in my own opionon. I think alot has to do with stock vs sense. Also the battery life is better.
5 - Graphics. Not sure I have really put my Nexus S in any graphic challenges.

Hopefully these helps.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
1 - Hardware quality is great. Like he said. Very light weight. Solid Build.
2 - Screen. Nothing beats it. Another reason why I didn't wait for the Evo 3d.
3 - Reception is fine for me. No different than my Epic I had previously. Wifi connection is buggy for me though. (Until they fix it)
4 - Speed is perfect. Play playstation on my phone and it runs smooth.
5 - Graphics. Hmm, well playstation looks like playstation. As far as pushing the limits I don't think I've done that. Videos look amazing though. Even on netflix.

It's up to you on if you want "the same phone" but from google with a better screen and the software updates. I went for the updates mainly.

The only other phone I could see waiting for is the next google phone. Whenever that is.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The SAMOLED screen is amazing. I was thinking of waiting for the EVO 3D, but I can't go back to SLCD.

Reception is good. Even though it shows lower bars than the EVO, I've been comparing the db strength and the Nexus shows #s very close to my gf's EVO.

The graphics chip on the Hummingbird is a lot faster than the old adreno in the EVO. You will pretty much double your fps in 3D games.

khamvongsa09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
1 - Hardware quality - Very good and light... Pretty much the same as the EVO in terms of regular use..
2 - Screen comparison - Very sharp and energy efficient. Looks good in the sunlight.. But the LED (or whatever) buttons on the bottom are hard to see in direct sunlight..
3 - Reception (I see that has been an issue for some) - When I was at school today, my phone had a hard time getting a bar when I was in the hallway (no windows). But when I got to a window I was fine. When I was walking home, I noticed that when I was walking in a certain area (known dead zone for most carriers), my signal went down dramatically.
4 - Speed - Yes! This phone is very speedy and barely ever lags at all..
5 - Graphics - Not sure about this one...

Olidie

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery last all day, which is good. Android 2.3 is fast and smooth. The device itself is well built and has a very attractive and distinctive design. Being amongst the first to get updates is a plus. Overall, I am very pleased with this phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The gpu on the EVO is horrible, before the newer dual core beast came out the hummingbird processor was top of the line. The Evo can barely even run Dungeon Defenders when the Nexus S or any other galaxy S phone was listed as highend. In fact the EVO wasn't even listed as a device that can run that game.

If you look at the graphic benchmarks like Neocore or Nenamark, the Evo would only run 30 fps on neocore while the Galaxy S phone is capped at 55 fps. Without the cap it would be in the 70's, and on Nenamark, the Evo can only render the images at 15-20 fps while the Galaxy S phones can run them at over 50!!!

The Snapdragon is a crap processor compared to the hummingbird

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Comparing it to my friend's evo and having evo for 4 days :) I prefer NS4G
Speedwise its fast. Friend of mine has custom rom rooted evo and there is no way around it, it lags. My NS4G is rooted but running stock rom and everything is flying. I'm coming from LG optimus S which was rooted and custom ROM'd up to its ass and NS4G is a speed demon. So far I don't have any lag. Everything is responsive and fast

Screens - NS4G is gorgeous. I have very limited use of EVO so I can't compare that part but NS4G screen is awesome

My reception is fine. Data, wifi works in my apartment but signal bars are inaccurate. But I have no issues with actual usage.

Battery is much better than Evo and LG. Mine lasts around 24 hours if not longer.

EVO is heavy and big, I prefer the shape, size and weight of NS4G. Its very light.

NFC is awesome. I got few tags around my house and in my car and I created couple of profiles that I apply to the phone when i switch rooms and go into my car. Very fun and cool and will get more used as more phones get it.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

1 - Hardware quality
2 - Screen comparison
4 - Speed
5 - Graphics

Coming from the Evo myself here is how I see it:

1. Hardware - as others have said, quality is very good. Like the fact that has a smaller, slicker footprint than the Evo and lighter. The ringtone/media play back volume on the loudspeaker is not as loud as the Evo, and the hardware button placement seems odd in comparison but you can easily get used to it. Lighting of the hardware buttons should be brighter (Evo is certainly better in this department). However, unlike the Epic's, the buttons are sensitive and very usable.

2. Screen - SAMOLED is a very nice screen, certainly a little smaller than the Evo's but looks sharper do to lower pixel size. The icons on the top bar are certainly smaller and take some time to get used to. Colors are simply amazing as compared to the Evo. Evo screen is more touch sensitive, but I've often felt the Evo screen was too sensitive, the Nexus' is just about right.

3. Reception - fortunately my Nexus has excellent radio reception so I have no issues here, but many others do and is being discussed in other forums as well. If you live in an area with no so good reception maybe a thought to wait for Sprint/Google to issue a patch to resolve this issue before jumping in.

4. Speed - the phone is very snappy, I have the exact same software on my Evo, Epic and Nexus, the Nexus is hands down more responsive despite having the same processor speed.

5. Graphics - I am not a hardcore phone gamer by any stretch, but the few I have used run exceedingly well on the Nexus.

Hope this helps...

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
This is all great information. I'm leaning toward at least giving the NS4G a try. The reception issues will get sorted and maybe I'll just get lucky.

After thinking about it a little bit. The one really big thing I am going to miss from the Evo is the Kickstand. I use it all the time to set the phone up as my clock/alarm clock. I saw somewhere there is a USB charging stand that works in landscape and portrait mode which I would probably want to get.

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
1 - Hardware quality - Perfect, love how it feels in my hand and very well built

2 - Screen comparison - I had the EVO and now the Nexus and agree with most everybody the screen clarity is better.

3 - Reception - I have not had any issues with this but will keep an eye on it.

4 - Speed - IMO it's the fastest on the market, I've never had a phone repsond so quickly before

5 - Graphics - top notch

Last edited:

eze036

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
nexus all the way..i love my evo biggest issue is the battery i been through 6 diff batt, it never last i have to charge atleast 3 times a day