Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Gmail Settings

    Quick question. Is there an option to have Gmail retrieve new messages at specific time intervals? I don't want the phone to be constantly searching for emails, I would like to set it to retrieve email about every 3-4 hours. I just can't seem to find that option. I'm using the standard Gmail app that came pre-installed.

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    BlackHawkA4's Avatar
    Drop the Bag

    Posts
    2,360 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

    Default

    I don't believe the gmail app works that way. It syncs through your account. You could disable gmail sync and then set up pop email with the other email app.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default

    Gmail is strictly push so you don't have to worry about it constantly checking. If you use the other email app you can set the specific fetch times.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    Not gonna lie, I had to Google "push email". It sounds like I'll just stick with that, since it doesn't seem to affect battery life too bad. Thanks for the help guys.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldrtyfrog View Post
    Not gonna lie, I had to Google "push email". It sounds like I'll just stick with that, since it doesn't seem to affect battery life too bad. Thanks for the help guys.
    Exactly. Quite the opposite - the push email feature will save battery for most users.
    Thanked by:
  6. #6  
    AndroidOne's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

    Default

    I like push email, but don't like being disturbed with notifications at night. I use Phone Silencer from the market to silence the phone when I go to bed and have the volume come back to normal at a specified time in the morning in case I forget about it (which happens almost always...).
  7. #7  
    simon.ponder's Avatar

    Posts
    442 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Nightly

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidOne View Post
    I like push email, but don't like being disturbed with notifications at night. I use Phone Silencer from the market to silence the phone when I go to bed and have the volume come back to normal at a specified time in the morning in case I forget about it (which happens almost always...).
    That's part of why I loved cyanogenmod on my Optimus thanks to zefie, because of the quite hours settings, built right into the rom. Silences all except for phone calls for your set times.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
  8. #8  
    kalex's Avatar

    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

    Default

    Nice. I just started utilizing NFC to acheive the same result. Works pretty neat and fun to use
  9. #9  
    AndroidOne's Avatar

    Posts
    806 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simon.ponder View Post
    That's part of why I loved cyanogenmod on my Optimus thanks to zefie, because of the quite hours settings, built right into the rom. Silences all except for phone calls for your set times.
    I believe this to be a setting the Gmail client should implement so it can be accessible to everyone without the need to resort to additional utilities or custom ROMs.
  10. #10  
    kalex's Avatar

    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

    Default

    You can also use audioguru from market. It lets you configure time based audio settings

Posting Permissions