Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Default Am I the only one who thinks the criticism with the Nexus S phone is silly?

No HD video recording? No removable storage? 6 months old?

Ok, who cares about HD video recording? it's a phone. It's main thing is to make calls and such. The extras are that - just exctras. The camera is just an add on.

And what the hell are you going to do with HD video on a smartphone to begin with? It'd probably look pretty bad on a phone anyhow without more tools and such.

And people are saying "oh, it's 6 months old. It's outdated." What? This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard about the Nexus S 4G. The Nexus One is still being used iirc, and receiving updates from Google. Same thing for this phone. It was the first phone to launch with Gingerbread while carriers and manuf. are still *****footing around with Froyo.

I think people are complaing about the Nexus S just to complain because it's not the latest bells and whistles phone.

I could agree on the removable storage part, but it's already 16 GB. How much more storage do you need?
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,014 Global Posts
    ROM
    oICSv36

hd video recording would be nice. im pretty hopeful that google will have it baked in when ice cream releases.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I can live without HD recording, but the complaints about the 3g, 4g and wifi radios are legit. My buddy has an Evo and gets good 4g and four bar 3g reception in my house (I have an airave). I am sitting 30 feet from my router and airave and have one bar of 3g, no 4g and poor wifi.

It's true people like to complain, but some problems are worth discussing.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I think the people that complain about those who complain just to complain, are doing so, just to complain.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    No HD video recording? No removable storage? 6 months old?

Ok, who cares about HD video recording? it's a phone. It's main thing is to make calls and such. The extras are that - just exctras. The camera is just an add on.

And what the hell are you going to do with HD video on a smartphone to begin with? It'd probably look pretty bad on a phone anyhow without more tools and such.

And people are saying "oh, it's 6 months old. It's outdated." What? This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard about the Nexus S 4G. The Nexus One is still being used iirc, and receiving updates from Google. Same thing for this phone. It was the first phone to launch with Gingerbread while carriers and manuf. are still *****footing around with Froyo.

I think people are complaing about the Nexus S just to complain because it's not the latest bells and whistles phone.

I could agree on the removable storage part, but it's already 16 GB. How much more storage do you need?
    I don't understand complaints about specs. Yoi should know going into the purchase what the phone has and doesn't have. But I do understand complaints about software bugs. There is nothing worse than getting excites about a device and dripping lots if cash on the phone and realizing that key features that you were expecting to work don't or don't work well. My 3G/4G/wifi radios are weak and my voice search never works properly. My EVO worked flawlessly with the voice search and voice to text.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by IXDoubleDXI View Post
    I think the people that complain about those who complain just to complain, are doing so, just to complain.
    My head just exploded....

Also, I do think these complaints are silly. But its kind of whatever, people have the right to complain I guess...
    "A World Without Music Is Like A World Without Oxygen" - ATB

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I don't understand complaints about specs. Yoi should know going into the purchase what the phone has and doesn't have. But I do understand complaints about software bugs. There is nothing worse than getting excites about a device and dripping lots if cash on the phone and realizing that key features that you were expecting to work don't or don't work well. My 3G/4G/wifi radios are weak and my voice search never works properly. My EVO worked flawlessly with the voice search and voice to text.
    Those are the only issues I'm having with my Nexus too. Granite they are a little frustrating at times, they're issues that are going to be addressed and hopefully fixed in the near future.

HD video would be nice, but honestly I was pretty impressed with the camera and video quality the phone has.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Had this phone since day it was released on Sprint, recorded my first video yesterday and uploaded to YouTube. It plays 720p on YouTube. Works for me.

LG G2 Verizon LTE
    Nexus 4 ST TMO
    Galaxy S 3 Sprint LTE [ Retired ]
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G Verizon LTE [ Retired ]
    Nexus S 4G [ Retired ]
    Xoom Tablet 3.0 Honeycomb [ Retired ]
    HTC Evo 2.3.3| [ Retired ]
    Palm Pre [ Retired ]
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

I know about the wifi and the signal issue and hope they are hammered out soon, but I am mostly focusing on the aesthetic side of things, features people are complaining about that aren't even that necessary imo.

The problem is that people are so hellbent on the next big thing that they fail to realize that it's better to go with a phone that works how you want it to work rather than oh that phone is shiny with a super duper snapping dragon processor.

Right now, if I keep having issues with the Evo, I may look into the Nexus S.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

I couldn't agree with you more! So annoying that people pretty much expect the phone to clean house and cook dinner... I mean come on.. it's a phone, it's the best phone I've ever owned, plenty fast, yeah I do notice the signal bars are a little lower than my previous hero but who cares, no dropped calls, no problems with internet, etc. Much better than any of my friends EVO's. I'm glad to see a post like this b/c some people expect way too much out of a cell phone!

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

I agree with OP 100%. It's been out 2 weeks folks. Until someone shows me otherwise, this is all software. And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who buys a phone within a month of release and expects perfection is silly. They will fix the software, and then the world will be right again (until the next Rapture).
    Thanked by:

the lack of those things are valid complaints when the competition has it. whether or not it really matters is a different story. To me, so long as it's good quality, then whatever. Unfortunately, people equate HD = better.

However, making this complaints after buying it is certainly silly. Except for the one key complaint that goes back to your original statement... radio reception seems to be all over the place. hardware or software issue... this should not be a problem with any phone coming to market (not to say it isn't on plenty of others, as I feel phones are being release prematurely). It's really the only complaint I'm keeping an eye on as I'm getting this phone for my mom in a month or so. Or at least, planned on that.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

I can not understand the posting stating this phone is a *new* release or was released *prematurely* as an explanation for the radio/signal issues experienced by so many users.

First, the Nexus S 4G is materially the same phone as the Nexus S that has been out there for over 6 months on T-Mo, so this is NOT a new phone, is a new phone on Sprint. I believe 6 months plus is ample time for Samsung/Google to sort out some of the bugs this phone has besides the radio issues.

Second, while the CDMA 1x, 3G and WiMax radios on this phone are certainly different from those of the original Nexus, I argue they are hardly new. The Nexus shares similar chipset of the Epic 4G, I bet the radio chips are also similar if not the same. Therefore, the drivers for those chips are already "debugged" on the Epic, why so buggy on the Nexus then. Furthermore, this is hardly the first Samsung Android phone on the Sprint network, and even though I fully expect some "bugs" those related to poor connectivity and signal drop that interferes with the ability to actually make/receive calls on some units, is not one of the bugs I expected given the above.

As far as the original poster's question, I agree entirely. People should read the specs of the device they are purchasing BEFORE actually getting it, complaining about lacking features once you get it is not only silly but quite frankly makes the user look ignorant and rather foolish.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

I love my Nexus. I think it is a great phone. I have no complaints about its feature set. i have been having some intermittent antennae issues and I am hopeful that will get sorted out sooner rather than later.
    Banned

It is quite ridiculous and the SD video footage from my Nexus looks better than my HD video from my Evo. Being a pro photographer/videographer I can understand this but most people dont, like the people who think more mexapixels must mean better quality. Both the camera and lens are better in the Samsung than the Evo and its photos and videos are better quality with lesser megapixels and only SD. My guess would be the fact that Samsung makes cameras, HTC does not. Big difference.

People who chase the best specs are indeed silly. Whats the point? So you get the fastest processor and the most RAM and then guess what? 3 months later and bigger and better phone comes out that makes your specs look like garbage, then what? Going to buy a new phone every 3 months? I couldnt care less about specs, I care about how the phone responds to MY needs.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by FocusFreak View Post
    It is quite ridiculous and the SD video footage from my Nexus looks better than my HD video from my Evo. Being a pro photographer/videographer I can understand this but most people dont, like the people who think more mexapixels must mean better quality. Both the camera and lens are better in the Samsung than the Evo and its photos and videos are better quality with lesser megapixels and only SD. My guess would be the fact that Samsung makes cameras, HTC does not. Big difference...
    Being an advanced amateur photog I understand and agree. The Nexus camera produces far superior results as compared to the Evo's. As you say, the lens may be better, but I suspect the main difference is less pixel density providing cleaner, less noisy images on the Nexus.

So far I am very satisfied with the phone. It works well at home and does what its suppose to do, make and take phone calls, surf the web, send text messages and keep me on track with a calendar. What more could you ask for?? Just be a little patient and they will get the things fixed that everyone is complaining about. The Palm Pre had some of the same things wrong with it and they eventually got most of the things fixed pretty quickly. When we got our Pres we couldn't even make calls from home and then we were given an Airave and everything was great.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Yeah, I know there's a few issues that are important, but as far as specs and such, I find it silly and pointless to knock the Nexus S down for not being the latest phone with a big processor. It has impressive specs, but for me, I like that it's pure Android with no crapware. No annoying apps(*cough*NOVA*cough*) that aren't removable, no Sprint Zone or any of that other stuff.

And it will always be first for updates.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Yeah! I find Sprint Zone to be such a waste of space on my other phones.

ROM
    MIUI,Matrix3.5 cfs

I would say that the only valid hardware complaint would be the 512 MB of RAM. We all know how fast these apps can eat away memory and cause sluggish performance. It would be nice to have had 1GB of Ram, that way I wouldn't have to task kill so much.n This might actually be the sole reason I trade it off for a GSII

I love the phone but the signal issues are a killer for me. I sure hope they fix it before my 30 days are up.
    more bad pres

Nexus S 4G from Google (Sprint) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Seems we finally got Google's attention and they apparently are doing some internal testing.

From the Goggle Support Forum:

"Best answer - Ry Guy (Google Employee)
    Hey all,

Thanks for posting all this useful information folks. We are still investigating and doing some side-by-side tests of our own so stay tuned. No need to continue posting your coordinates and speed stats. Thanks for your continued patience.

-Ry Guy"

You can read about it and post if you like here.
    Thanked by:

I'm with redtooth. If they don't fix this by June 8th mine will be going back and I will pick something else. My husband has the Epic and he is doesn't have the reception problems that the Nexus has. Mine lost both incoming and outgoing signal for about an hour today. What good is a phone if you can't make or receive calls????

ROM
    Stock, Rooted Jelly Bean

Every major phone has had some sort of technical issue upon launch, simply because they can't possibly test everything. Once it gets out in the market, then it gets fine tuned to work out any remaining bugs. EVERY phone has had some sort of problem (Evo prob had the least!! LOL) Atrix had a problem, Iphone, G2X, and any other phone that is marketed as a major phone full of new or ground breaking features. Truth is, the phones are great, but they are not perfect and if to put every feature on it we want, it would retail for more than we would be willing to pay. My Nexus S 4G retailed for 700 bucks!!! That's ridiculous!!!
    Listen, think, speak... In that order.

I agree that every phone has problems but there are certain core features that have to be rock solid before they should release. Most everything you want to do with a smartphone relvolves around reception. You can't wash this away with the excuse "every new phone has problems". This problem hasn't even affected me yet and I can see this as a pretty big screw up from someone (Google and/or Samsung). I really really want this phone but until I find out more details its just too big of a risk. If I had purchased this phone on release date I also return the phone at 30 days and find something else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast