Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

Default Why I think Samsung shafted us with old hardware

Before I start.. I will say this even though the hardware may be a bit old.. it gets the job done and I have no probs with that

Now why I think Samsung shafted us with old hardware.. eg. A8 processor.. Sub-par front and back cameras

Simple.. because Samsung doesn't want it to out shine the next generation Galaxy S Phones (eg. Epic 2). I mean the bluetooth radio doesn't even support A2DP..etc

Probably doesn't mean nothing to anybody.. I'm pretty sure im gonna be very satisfied with my nexus when it comes Tues. I guess the only 2 pet-peeves about the nexus is that it has a A8 vs an A9 processor (duo core or not) and the cameras.. specifically speaking the front VGA

I

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Samsung didn't shaft anybody. They just re-released this device on another carrier. Back when the OG one released on T-Mobile, they were awesome specs. Also I have found the camera on the Nexus S is one of the better ones. MP have 0 to do with image quality.

yeah NS4G camera does a pretty nice job all around.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

I should had clarified that I was talking about the lack of recording .. which is very odd
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    I should had clarified that I was talking about the lack of recording .. which is very odd
    That's the software guy. Same exact cameras as the epic 4g. And that did 720p. Wait for ics.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    That's the software guy. Same exact cameras as the epic 4g. And that did 720p. Wait for ics.
    eh.. maybe I'm just nitpicking about "what I'm reading" other than playing with it in the store for 5 mins. I have no experience.. excuse me guys.. very bored this Sat lol

I will say this the phone is very light.. too light for my taste but something I can get used to.. wish it came with a aluminum/metal battery door

I agree with you there. I just played with a Thunderbolt, and while its too big for me, the hardware feels amazing. Would love some weight to my Nexus and less plastic.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    Simple.. because Samsung doesn't want it to out shine the next generation Galaxy S Phones (eg. Epic 2). I mean the bluetooth radio doesn't even support A2DP..etc
    It doesnt? I thought A2DP had to do with streaming stereo over bluetooth, which my NS4G does quite well with the LG stereo bluetooth headset I got.

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    It doesnt? I thought A2DP had to do with streaming stereo over bluetooth, which my NS4G does quite well with the LG stereo bluetooth headset I got.
    Yeah it has A2DP and for me it works fantastic with my S9's.
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

I don't know. People are complaining about the hardware so much. Lol. Don't get it then. I live the updates.

Yea you can root and whatever. But look at the Droid x. 2.3.3. We have 2.3.4. Video chat through Google talk is the difference. And maybe that's not important but guess what else it could be.

That just my opinion. I live this phone. And feel. The look. So what if its missing a few things. The phone that has it is going to be missing some things too.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock Gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Thank you for verifying that.. as im reading the specs, it said nothing about it

@Muscle Master
    If you haven't actually used the phone yet, I'd highly recommend you give it a spin before passing judgment on it as old hardware, it is quite capable

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

@Muscle Master, how did you actually get shafted by Samsumg on hardware you admit to not having yet... don't get it!

And yes, the Nexus does support A2DP/AVRCP just fine, plus the 5MP camera is quite good as well.

I am finding the "lowly" 5MP camera out preforms the 8MP camera that is on my old Evo. MOre MP does not always mean better.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

I really don't get it. If you don't have the phone how can you complain about being shafted? Get the phone, use it then complain. Otherwise your complaining is pointless. Once you get the phone and use it you will see that hardware is more than capable to run the phone that doesn't have crap and bloat on it.

As for the weight and size - I love it. I don't want samsung adding weight to it. I found Evo too heavy for me and it felt uncomfortable carrying it in my jean's pocket

I gota say I have been messing around with every phone out there the last few days and other than the signal issues the nexus s 4g is good at just about everything. Its way faster than most phones I have tried and the camera is pretty good compared to all the others. The screen is the best I have found and the form factor is just about perfect (wish it was a little heavier). Its the same screen as the other Samsung phones but the curve gives it a little edge in my opinion. I played with a Droid Charge today and thats got a nice screen but I did not like the UI as much and it was just a little too big in the pocket. As far as running apps I dont know if its the pure Google thing or the absence of bloat but the nexus responds faster in my little side by side tests. If they can fix the signal problems it would be the best phone out in my opinion. But that is a BIG IF!
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

People actually care about the latest hardware. And they wonder why the spend so much with smartphones.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

This is one time that I actually agree with iSteve. Specs are not important. its the overall experience that matters and in my case pure google ginger bread experience is much better than Sense/Blur bloat.
    nkd

Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz View Post
    People actually care about the latest hardware. And they wonder why the spend so much with smartphones.
    Great hardware means nothing if it is crippled by software. Side by side, I have seen nexus S and dual core tegra 2 phone and nexus S felt smooth as hell. SGX 540 is one of the fastest graphics chip in the phone and hummingbird is one of the fastest single core processor. If the phone feels and runs great and user experience is fast as hell, it doesn't matter if it has a dual core under the hood or not.

Plus you gotta love the updates that will come first to the nexus.
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

Exactly. There's no point in getting a high end phone with impressive specs considering it'll be loaded with crapware and manufacturers adding in their own stuff like Sense and Motoblur. Really wouldn't mind hving the Nexus S right now.
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

Global Posts
    784 Global Posts

I find it funny the OP is complaing about the devices specs when he doesnt even have the phone yet meaning he ordered it...meaning he knew about the specs he's complaining about and STILL ordered the phone...then got on here and complained about the specs. Thats funny....

Anyway...I feel as though the hardware on the phone works just fine. I dont need all the dual cores and quad cores and 20 mp cameras. I just need solid and fast software, sleek and light hardware. The Nexus provides both. It works perfectly for what I need in a phone.
    ROM Developer

samsung was brilliant for making the galaxy s line. base your entire new phone line off a phone that google supports. ergo making support sooo much easier, want proof? hows that moment coming along?
    Webchat support for the Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've helped you then please buy me a beer

Global Posts
    324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    Yep A2DP works wonderfully with all my bluetooth peripherals. Do not knwo what he is referring to here.

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Yep A2DP works wonderfully with all my bluetooth peripherals. Do not knwo what he is referring to here.
    To nothing at all, he doesn't even have the phone and is already complaining about what it can and can't do. Trolling if you ask me.