Is the Sprint Nexus S 4G really that bad?

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Suffer with the Evo? How so?

I had the Evo for a year and liked it a lot but the lighter weight, smaller size and much better screen suddenly make the Evo feel like suffering. No offense to Evo fans, I was a huge fan for a long time and it still holds up after a year, but the NS makes the Evo no fun to use.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo for a year and liked it a lot but the lighter weight, smaller size and much better screen suddenly make the Evo feel like suffering. No offense to Evo fans, I was a huge fan for a long time and it still holds up after a year, but the NS makes the Evo no fun to use.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I will say with al humility that I agree with you. I couldn't make it a week with my EVO before I took it back to get the Nexus S again. The screen, vanilla Android, and Gingerbread were calling me. I really like the EVO, but this Nexus S is so sweet. I am defjnitely singing another tune today than last week. I still have the radio issues, but who cares right now. It will get fixed in the future. Just going to enjoy this phone.

anon(163908)

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I went out an bought the Nexus yesterday just so I could stop thinking about it. I have to say that the only problem that I have now is trying to determine if it's worth keeping over my EVO. I LOVE the size, feel and design of the Nexus. However, the big problem that I have is the screen. Everybody raves about the AMOLED screen but to me it seems dull and not as crisp as the EVO. I think i'm the only person that has even mentioned that aspect. But it's true I actually like the EVO screen better. But so far I don't have any issues with the signal or WiFi. I will keep it for a few more days before I decide if I want to return it and wait for the EVO 3D or something else entirely. I really hope that Sprint gets one of the Samsung Galaxy S II phones when they come to the US because I think those phones are the hottest devices on the horizon.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Update:

I went out an bought the Nexus yesterday just so I could stop thinking about it. I have to say that the only problem that I have now is trying to determine if it's worth keeping over my EVO. I LOVE the size, feel and design of the Nexus. However, the big problem that I have is the screen. Everybody raves about the AMOLED screen but to me it seems dull and not as crisp as the EVO. I think i'm the only person that has even mentioned that aspect. But it's true I actually like the EVO screen better. But so far I don't have any issues with the signal or WiFi. I will keep it for a few more days before I decide if I want to return it and wait for the EVO 3D or something else entirely. I really hope that Sprint gets one of the Samsung Galaxy S II phones when they come to the US because I think those phones are the hottest devices on the horizon.

I didn't think the screen was a big deal either until I kept it for a few days and then went back to the EVO. That's when I really noticed the difference. After a while, I became very disappointed in my evo's screen. All of the colors seemed washed out. The EVO is a great phone and hard to beat, even today, but I have to say that the Nexus S 4G is a better phone.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I've had issues with is the wifi and rooting it solved that problem and now its (almost) one click. I really recommend this phone.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Mine had the 50% Time Without Signal (radio issue), and as a result burns about 25% of the battery PER HOUR. Pretty much unusable.
So I bought (another) brand new 0004 Evo on Craigslist for $260! The Evo has much better build quality, not to mention better radios, WIFI throughput, etc. The Evo's battery literally lasts 4-5x as long as my Nexus was lasting!
Another thing: The Nexus feels cheap to me (and many reviewers...) and it's slippery, so it NEEDS a case (IMO.) And once you have the case on, it is about the same size as a Evo.The Evo has a soft back, and as such does not NEED a case like the Nexus does. IMO.
Also I found the Nexus browser troublesome - pinch zoom does not work as well, and I was often scrolling back and forth to read a web page. Evo's browser is miles ahead in this area. And the notification bar is gone most of the time, giving the Evo's browser windows more real estate.

I would wait for the Evo 3D, which apparently is due June 24.

Last edited:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine had the 50% Time Without Signal (radio issue), and as a result burns about 25% of the battery PER HOUR. Pretty much unusable.
So I bought a brand new 0004 Evo on Craigslist for $260! The Evo has much better build quality, not to mention better radios, WIFI throughput, etc.

I don't think the EVO has better build quality. It seems yo be made out of more premium materials, but it doesn't feel better in your hands. There are no creaks on the Nexus S and no light leakage. Everything feels tighter.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the EVO has better build quality. It seems yo be made out of more premium materials, but it doesn't feel better in your hands. There are no creaks on the Nexus S and no light leakage. Everything feels tighter.

So in your mind using better materials is not related to better build quality?

I think the Evo feels far more robust (not merely heavier.) For example, the Nexus back feels like it is going to break in half when I removed it to replace the battery...)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
So I bought (another) brand new 0004 Evo on Craigslist for $260! The Evo has much better build quality, not to mention better radios, WIFI throughput, etc. The Evo's battery literally lasts 4-5x as long as my Nexus was lasting!
Another thing: The Nexus feels cheap to me (and many reviewers...) and it's slippery, so it NEEDS a case (IMO.) And once you have the case on, it is about the same size as a Evo.The Evo has a soft back, and as such does not NEED a case like the Nexus does. IMO.
Also I found the Nexus browser troublesome - pinch zoom does not work as well, and I was often scrolling back and forth to read a web page. Evo's browser is miles ahead in this area. And the notification bar is gone most of the time, giving the Evo's browser windows more real estate.

Not necessarily. The materials are better, but the aren't put together as tightly as I would want. I like the matte finish on the back. I like the red accents. And the weight of it makes it feel premium, but it creaks and has light leakages. That's what makes me say that the Nexus, even though it is all plastic, seems to be put together better. Does that make sense?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Dwayne didn't you start a thread in this forum yesterday stating that you had returned your Nexus and gotten an Evo?[/QUOTE
It was last week. But yes, I did start that thread. But I ended the thread stating that I had gone back to the Nexus because I had missed the awesome screen and had figured out the problem with the voice recognition.

redtooth

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely not be replacing this phone with the evo 4g! The screen is just way to washed out. At this point I may go with the epic. It has the same screen and its 3g speeds are 10 * faster than my nexus on the tests I have ran in my area. I really don't want to use another samsung phone but the
Samsung screens are just that good.

ronnienyc

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
I agree the contrast on the Nexus screen is very good! The Evo 3D will have a better screen than the 4G as well...

But one of the other issues I had with the Nexus screen is that it is just not that responsive. Probably 1 in 10 of my screen presses went unnoticed, leading to having to do multiple presses or swipes to get something done. Annoying. This is an area where the Evo is GREAT.

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If we follow the htc history, I am 100% sure that the EVO 3D will be full of bugs at the launch day so if you want the nexus s get it and if u you want the EVO get it, they are going in the same boat!

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I for one prefer the build of ns4g over evo. I found evo very big for me. and too heavy. ns4g feels much better and much lighter. I solved the problem of flimsy back cover by getting incipio feather cover which works perfectly and doesn't interfere with NFC. Now I'm patiently waiting for google offers/wallet so i can put NFC to full use. For now i'm happy with NFC task scheduler app

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree the contrast on the Nexus screen is very good! The Evo 3D will have a better screen than the 4G as well...

But one of the other issues I had with the Nexus screen is that it is just not that responsive. Probably 1 in 10 of my screen presses went unnoticed, leading to having to do multiple presses or swipes to get something done. Annoying. This is an area where the Evo is GREAT.
The EVO does have a very responsive screen. It us a great phone. Still easily one if the beat on the market. But ultimately, it isn't better than the Nexus S. If the screen was better and had the GPU. That the newer snaps have, it would be the top phone on Sprint. But it doesn't and its not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800