NS4G saves the day

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Me and my friends decided to do bbq today and went to the park. There was a Barcelona - Manchester United game that started at 2pm eastern time. So we decided to come prepared. Friend of mine took his NS4G and Ipad with him.

First we decided to use built in hotspot on NS4G but it failed miserable simply because 4g doesn't work when hotspot is active and every 5-10 seconds of watching, live feed was buffering.
Now I decided to try wireless tether on my NS4G since its rooted. Quick 10 seconds of Google and downloading and installing wireless tether and we were up and running. We watched 93 minutes of soccer without any interruptions and buffering problems. 4G worked perfectly.
Oh and get this all the time I had 1 bar of signal strength and one bar of 4g signal. I also did speed test and my results were 989 up and 4652 down. Which once again proves that speed tests and all the bar readings are not important. Whats important is that me and my friends enjoyed watching 93 minutes of soccer without any issues.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
phones calculate signals different so bars might not mean crap when it comes to a phone with 6 bars and a phone with 4 bars but you can always go by signal strength in the settins menu.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
phones calculate signals different so bars might not mean crap when it comes to a phone with 6 bars and a phone with 4 bars but you can always go by signal strength in the settins menu.

Still think that's why everyone complains about 3g. Lol. Mine works the way my last phone did. Just displays less bars making it look like lower signal.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Still think that's why everyone complains about 3g. Lol. Mine works the way my last phone did. Just displays less bars making it look like lower signal.

I think most of the posters here are sophisticated enough to not just read off the bars. It's pretty trivial to get actual signal strength, ping, DL/UL speeds, etc.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I think most of the posters here are sophisticated enough to not just read off the bars. It's pretty trivial to get actual signal strength, ping, DL/UL speeds, etc.

True I know it for a fact that there are issues with nexus S radio being inferior to a evo 4g, but my friend with evo fricking hated it for the first three months after the updates came through. I am sure this will get fixed since this is the first vanilla gingerbread google branded phone on wimax.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
True I know it for a fact that there are issues with nexus S radio being inferior to a evo 4g, but my friend with evo fricking hated it for the first three months after the updates came through. I am sure this will get fixed since this is the first vanilla gingerbread google branded phone on wimax.

Yea. Its 3 weeks old without really am update yet. I just have wifi and 4g. But I still swear they are the same radio. Lol.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I am not comparing it with the Evo; I'm comparing it with my Hero and other "ancient" Android phones.

The NS4G is a great computing gadget, but there are known, well-publicized problems with the 3G, 4G, and wifi radios. At the moment we don't know whether it's hardware, firmware, or drivers, or when or if a fix will be available.

I am keeping my Nexus, since currently I don't rely on it for a living, but I can understand the frustration of those who depend on their phones for mobile web access.

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Me and my friends decided to do bbq today and went to the park. There was a Barcelona - Manchester United game that started at 2pm eastern time. So we decided to come prepared. Friend of mine took his NS4G and Ipad with him.

First we decided to use built in hotspot on NS4G but it failed miserable simply because 4g doesn't work when hotspot is active and every 5-10 seconds of watching, live feed was buffering.
Now I decided to try wireless tether on my NS4G since its rooted. Quick 10 seconds of Google and downloading and installing wireless tether and we were up and running. We watched 93 minutes of soccer without any interruptions and buffering problems. 4G worked perfectly.
Oh and get this all the time I had 1 bar of signal strength and one bar of 4g signal. I also did speed test and my results were 989 up and 4652 down. Which once again proves that speed tests and all the bar readings are not important. Whats important is that me and my friends enjoyed watching 93 minutes of soccer without any issues.

Could you please tell me what version are u using of wifi tether?

Sent from my NS4G Cannibal!!!

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
not sure what mode it used but ipad had no issues connecting. i went into settings and it was set to auto not ad-hoc

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the NS4G come with wireless tether???
I mean, I know it does! I use it a lot! And it's awesome!!! Always works like it's suppose to!!!
Just don't understand the difference because my NS is not rooted and I have wireless tethering!
I'm running stock!

I'm more interested on how you watched the game???
App?
Website? Which I didn't think you could watch it online (hence my question)
Please share!!!

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the NS4G come with wireless tether???
I mean, I know it does! I use it a lot! And it's awesome!!! Always works like it's suppose to!!!
Just don't understand the difference because my NS is not rooted and I have wireless tethering!
I'm running stock!

I'm more interested on how you watched the game???
App?
Website? Which I didn't think you could watch it online (hence my question)
Please share!!!

The build in wifi tether only works in 3g, no 4g. if you want to use the 4g when you are tethering you need to root and install the wifi tether for root but looks like only works in ad-hoc mode so for me does not work.

Reactions: gramamoose

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
The build in wifi tether only works in 3g, no 4g. if you want to use the 4g when you are tethering you need to root and install the wifi tether for root but looks like only works in ad-hoc mode so for me does not work.

Would the device you are then using not need to be 4G capable?
At which I don't think the iPad 2 is. . .
Or does it just pick up the speed and nothing else?

dmora01_AC

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Why would you root the nexus anyways?

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G

to install the adfree app, root explorer, roam control........ I love roam control. is the best live saver when sprint has poor coverage. Adfree helps to the internet load faster bc no adds and changes your host address and gives more speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze