Google Voice only for voicemail

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
An Actual Solution!

Ok, here it comes… I was extremely frustrated with the Sprint/Gvoice integration and was not happy with the work arounds provided on any of the forums. I imagine I am not the only person who is frustrated that we couldn’t use Gvoice like we did prior to the Nexus S4G. Anyhow, I found a REAL solution – a fix!! I did this yesterday and can verify this really does work.

So I flashed a stock deodexed ROM…I imagine this will work even with people just running stock, but since I already had Gvoice running correctly on my stock I flashed Gerbil ROM to test. Just go in and remove the Gvoice apk. Reboot. Then go to the market and download Gvoice. At first it was giving me force closes, but I rebooted and it let me enter the app after. After I had downloaded the app from the market and went to set up my Gvoice account it went through the NORMAL process of setting up. It did not ask for integration or anything close to how it was setting it up with Sprint’s Gvoice app that came on the phone. Anyhow – I can verify that this did indeed work. I hope that this helps some people

And just to add...here's a little blurb I found about Google Voice that may give some insight as to where Google is going with this...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/10/google-voice-lets-you-change-your-digits-keep-the-old-ones-for/

Last edited:

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
@vansmack

When I do the step:

"You should also check your phone settings (Home Screen->Menu->Settings->Call Settings->Voicemail Service->Google Voice"

I do not have any other option other than my carrier.

But it seems to work just fine. However I do get a copy of the texts in my google voice app. I want to ask if that is the same for you as well.

No sir....

See attached:

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
When you guys call your voicemail, are you getting Sprint or are you getting GV?

i just tested this....when I call I get GV and set up my name and greeting.....but at the same time there is no option for me like this (call, settings, choice carrier/google voice for voicemails).

are you using the Google Voice that came pre-installed, or the Market one?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
i just tested this....when I call I get GV and set up my name and greeting.....but at the same time there is no option for me like this (call, settings, choice carrier/google voice for voicemails).

are you using the Google Voice that came pre-installed, or the Market one?

As long as calling VM gets you Google Voice then I'm not sure having the option matters.

I believe there was an update to the GV that was preinstalled and that's the one I'm using. It's build 0.4.2.24.

I was having trouble originally with GV in that I had a VM notification icon in the status bar for days that wouldn't go away (it also kept triggering NoLED and was draining the hell out of my battery). I tried everything with Sprint to get it cleared up, but to no avail. I eventually dropped GV, switched back to Sprint VM for a couple of days and it went away.

I then re-signed up with GV and followed the steps I outlined above and it's worked perfectly since. I'm not getting duplicate messages in the App, I'm getting text message notifications of VM's in my default SMS app and I can do everything I want from voice.google.com while I'm at work - I really couldn't be happier.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
As long as calling VM gets you Google Voice then I'm not sure having the option matters.

I believe there was an update to the GV that was preinstalled and that's the one I'm using. It's build 0.4.2.24.

I was having trouble originally with GV in that I had a VM notification icon in the status bar for days that wouldn't go away (it also kept triggering NoLED and was draining the hell out of my battery). I tried everything with Sprint to get it cleared up, but to no avail. I eventually dropped GV, switched back to Sprint VM for a couple of days and it went away.

I then re-signed up with GV and followed the steps I outlined above and it's worked perfectly since. I'm not getting duplicate messages in the App, I'm getting text message notifications of VM's in my default SMS app and I can do everything I want from voice.google.com while I'm at work - I really couldn't be happier.

I see.....how did you get Sprint to work with you to get Visual Voicemail back? I would rather have that, as it isn't as complicated.

Also, the version that comes pre-installed is 0.4.2.3, so isn't that downgrading your version....?

Last edited:

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I see.....how did you get Sprint to work with you to get Visual Voicemail back? I would rather have that, as it isn't as complicated.

Not Visual Voicemail, Sprint's conventional voice mail. As I understand it, you can't have Visual VM on the Nexus because these phones are intended to use Google Voice and aren't provisioned for use on the Visual Voicemail Servers.

Also, the version that comes pre-installed is 0.4.2.3, so isn't that downgrading your version....?

Interesting. I love it when you install a "Stock" deodexed ROM only to find out it's not as "stock" as they claim. Well, I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade it as it's working beautifully for me.

EDIT: Are you sure it's 4.2.3?

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=167308

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Not Visual Voicemail, Sprint's conventional voice mail. As I understand it, you can't have Visual VM on the Nexus because these phones are intended to use Google Voice and aren't provisioned for use on the Visual Voicemail Servers.

Interesting. I love it when you install a "Stock" deodexed ROM only to find out it's not as "stock" as they claim. Well, I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade it as it's working beautifully for me.

EDIT: Are you sure it's 4.2.3?

Release Notes : Using a non-Google Number - Google Mobile Help

just checked, and mine is .3.

I went to the Market and see Google Voice as a free download. When I downloaded it, it took it to .24, so I uninstalled it and it went back to .3....

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
just checked, and mine is .3.

I went to the Market and see Google Voice as a free download. When I downloaded it, it took it to .24, so I uninstalled it and it went back to .3....

Strange. I have uninstalled and reinstalled from the market. Mine's definitely .24

I wonder if that's why mine works so well ;-)

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I've got it set up where I still am on GV but don't get any notifications from GV. I am using the stock SMS. It is so much better in my opinion than GV for texting.
And when I get a vm, GV sends me a text to the SMS app and transcribes the vm as well. If I want to actually listen to the vm, I have to open the GV app where a copy of everything is, my texts and vms.

tnerb123

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I posted how to do this on xda but will repost here. :)

There is an easier way to do this.

1. On the web go to voice.google.com and select the sproket in the upper right corner and select voice settings.
2. Under your number, select de-active your sprint number.
3. Under Forwards, under your sprint number, select edit. This will pop up a new settings window for you number
4. Click on Show advanced settings. This will show more settings
5. Under Forwarding Options: select Active. This will pop up a number you need to type into your phone like you were making a phone call.

Once you have done this it will make sprint forward your calls to voicemail if you don't pick up.

This makes everything go through your phone FIRST! All text messages go to your phone first.

Your all done!

Lot easier then using rom manger and titanium backup to get the old VM setup.

Let me know if you have any questions.

[GUIDE] How to get "classic" google visual vm back after sprint integration - Page 3 - xda-developers

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I posted how to do this on xda but will repost here. :)

There is an easier way to do this.

1. On the web go to voice.google.com and select the sproket in the upper right corner and select voice settings.
2. Under your number, select de-active your sprint number.
3. Under Forwards, under your sprint number, select edit. This will pop up a new settings window for you number
4. Click on Show advanced settings. This will show more settings
5. Under Forwarding Options: select Active. This will pop up a number you need to type into your phone like you were making a phone call.

Once you have done this it will make sprint forward your calls to voicemail if you don't pick up.

This makes everything go through your phone FIRST! All text messages go to your phone first.

Your all done!

Lot easier then using rom manger and titanium backup to get the old VM setup.

Let me know if you have any questions.

[GUIDE] How to get "classic" google visual vm back after sprint integration - Page 3 - xda-developers

Can you post screenshots of each step if possible? Whenever I disable my Sprint number I no longer have options for forwarding or anything for that number since I disabled it....

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Just to follow up -

Since I upgraded to 0.4.2.32, the option to choose between My Carrier and Google Voice has disappeared from the call settings just like everyone else. It still seems to work fine as I intended it, however.

ericspletzer

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
This really jsut cicumvents the problem. You want texts to go to Messaging and Voice to go to GV. Instead you're sending both to GV and then sending them back to texts for texts and for notification purposes. Why not just have a voice only or text only option for GV?