1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Viper Rom ICS Android 4.0

Unhappy One more month, if not switching...

Come July 6th if Google hasn't released an update to fix this Beast...I will be letting go.

I will be moving on to the new Motorola XPRT, or the Motorola that they will announce on Thursday (6/9/11). This is a beautiful device and honestly I have 2 reason why I will switch. Say what you want about Motoblur, but that 1850 battery on a 3.1 screen sounds awesome to me!

1) Wimax 4G is over rated, its super slow compared to LTE, and honestly out of one month I probably use it like 3 times, so not worth the extra $10. In a year it come sup to $120 just for 4G for me and my wife $240 for 2 devices ( slow 4G that is)

2. The next Nexus is around the corner come November and will probably be better built and quality, besides I didn't upgrade in June so I will be eligible for that as well.

3. For being a Nexus... its taking Google WAY to long to even address these issues.Period, What good is a device if you cant use it to its full potential.

Again I am loving this beast of a phone, and I do hope that Google will push out a fix for this ASAP. But i wont be sitting here giving out 4G money for something that doesn't work as it should.

I agree with the 4G point. I live in Overland Park KS (Sprint HQ) and I almost never get a strong 4G signal... and even when I do, I really dont see any difference.

1. 4G is overrated, especially when it's not in your hometown (like mine). But if you think that getting out of a 4G phone is going to save you $10 a month, not gonna happen. That $10 a month "4G Fee" became a "Smartphone Fee" a while back.

2. The next Nexus is "reportedly" around the corner and "might" be out in November.

3. I'll agree with you on that, it's been less than a month that the phone has been out and all of the issues should have been cleaned up in the testing phase. Seems that maybe Google/Sprint is thinking that testing phase is "post release".

the nexus 3 may not even come to sprint right away. i do agree sprints 4g is pretty much no where near as fast & reliable as lte is. from what ive read sprint may be going lte very soon here.

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by jesse813 View Post
    Come July 6th if Google hasn't released an update to fix this Beast...I will be letting go.

I will be moving on to the new Motorola XPRT, or the Motorola that they will announce on Thursday (6/9/11). This is a beautiful device and honestly I have 2 reason why I will switch. Say what you want about Motoblur, but that 1850 battery on a 3.1 screen sounds awesome to me!

1) Wimax 4G is over rated, its super slow compared to LTE, and honestly out of one month I probably use it like 3 times, so not worth the extra $10. In a year it come sup to $120 just for 4G for me and my wife $240 for 2 devices ( slow 4G that is)

2. The next Nexus is around the corner come November and will probably be better built and quality, besides I didn't upgrade in June so I will be eligible for that as well.

3. For being a Nexus... its taking Google WAY to long to even address these issues.Period, What good is a device if you cant use it to its full potential.

Again I am loving this beast of a phone, and I do hope that Google will push out a fix for this ASAP. But i wont be sitting here giving out 4G money for something that doesn't work as it should.
    1) I'm going to use iSteve analogy here. Specs are one thing but usability is another. Yes running speed tests all day long and comparing them to LTE - its horrible. But in real life use its fine. I was able to stream soccer game without single buffering error that I got every 10 seconds over 3G. Will being on LTE make the game go any faster? Or another example I was in the middle of syncing my google music for offline storage and had to leave my wifi sanctuary, switched over to 4G and it synced up just fine by the time i arrived at my destination. I do agree that coverage wise its not that great.

2) When new nexus will come out i will judge it and see how it stacks up against my "old" nexus and decided. If I'm going to switch, I will sell my current Nexus on CL and get new one for a nominal upgrade fee. For now my nexus does everything i need it to do fast without stuttering and runs latest and greatest from android.

3) things take time to figure out, isolate, test and deploy. I have a feeling you are not familar with software cycle specially when it involves hardware. Its been out less than a month and it does take time to properly deploy the fix or do you prefer bricked device when update is released. Look what happens when manufacturers release updates.

I'm happy with sprint and for what I'm paying for it, its really hard to beat. At one point i was planning to switch to vzw and get iphone but after seeing how much extra I would have to pay, my idea quickly died.

I wouldn't switch. This is the best phone on the network in my opinion. Updates will come. You have to be patient.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I wouldn't switch. This is the best phone on the network in my opinion. Updates will come. You have to be patient.
    I wont leave Sprint, period BUT I will consider other options on this carrier. Again, I love the Nexus line I even had the Nexus one in 09, and maybe I'm getting a little impatient but again this was released in 5/8 and ill give it till 7/8, that's 2 months.

Sent from my Sexy Nexus 4G
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IXDoubleDXI View Post
    1. 4G is overrated, especially when it's not in your hometown (like mine).
    Well, thats because you dont have 4G, its is definitely not overrated. A simple speed test will show you just how much faster 4G is. Its usually 2-3 times faster than 3G speeds.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

1) Wimax 4G is over rated, its super slow compared to LTE, and honestly out of one month I probably use it like 3 times, so not worth the extra $10. In a year it come sup to $120 just for 4G for me and my wife $240 for 2 devices ( slow 4G that is)...(
    As it has been stated over an over again, the $10 "Sprint tax" is NOT for 4G, but rather applies to any new smartphone activation. That means you will continue to pay it even if your next smartphone is not 4G capable.

Having said that, I don't have any problem with your decision to return and try something else instead. I hope come July 9th we get confirmation of the much rumored Sprint version of the Moto Atrix 4G (aka Photon)... we'll see about that.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidOne View Post
    As it has been stated over an over again, the $10 "Sprint tax" is NOT for 4G, but rather applies to any new smartphone activation. That means you will continue to pay it even if your next smartphone is not 4G capable.

Having said that, I don't have any problem with your decision to return and try something else instead. I hope come July 9th we get confirmation of the much rumored Sprint version of the Moto Atrix 4G (aka Photon)... we'll see about that.
    Alright, I did forget that the $10 additional anything is for smartphone use. My bad.

Now the Sprint and Motorola announcement is not July 9th but June 9

And yes 4G is maybe 2x-3x faster than 3G, but with this phone you'll be lucky to get either or steady on.

I just got my Nexus S (W CM7 #13) yesterday and i gotta say the cell service and wifi are on par or better then my EVO which was running CM7. I live in NYC and since i got it i havent had less then 3 bars with an average of 4 most of the time. The browser loads pages much quicker then my EVO and and operating system is blazingly fast and smooth I absolutely love the Amoled Screen, The screen size, and the unbranded stealth look of the device.

Not sure if the people who are having problems are running stock rom or a custom rom but i reccomend trying CM7 on your Nexus S 4g.

I am VERY happy with this phone.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by nate735 View Post
    I just got my Nexus S (W CM7 #13) yesterday and i gotta say the cell service and wifi are on par or better then my EVO which was running CM7. I live in NYC and since i got it i havent had less then 3 bars with an average of 4 most of the time. The browser loads pages much quicker then my EVO and and operating system is blazingly fast and smooth I absolutely love the Amoled Screen, The screen size, and the unbranded stealth look of the device.

Not sure if the people who are having problems are running stock rom or a custom rom but i reccomend trying CM7 on your Nexus S 4g.

I am VERY happy with this phone.
    I was considering rooting this phone...but for what? Wifi hotspot? comes with it.

Other than having widgets on my notification bar, or having other type of lock screens, I dont see a point in it.

I too have the Evo and yes this is smoother and runs better, but when I rooted my Evo it was a one click process with Unrevoked, if I did decide to go down the rooting path, is there such a method for it?

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just switched to the NS4G from the EVO, and I have to say I really like it. I like the pure Android, and the phone seems very snappy, even compared with the EVO. The battery life has been good, and I have not had any signal issues with it at all.

I do miss some of the widgets from Sense, but there are many options available in the market to replace those.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

...I too have the Evo and yes this is smoother and runs better, but when I rooted my Evo it was a one click process with Unrevoked, if I did decide to go down the rooting path, is there such a method for it?
    Rooting instructions have been available for sometime now, go to this thread.

I was considering rooting this phone...but for what? Wifi hotspot? comes with it.

Other than having widgets on my notification bar, or having other type of lock screens, I dont see a point in it.

I too have the Evo and yes this is smoother and runs better, but when I rooted my Evo it was a one click process with Unrevoked, if I did decide to go down the rooting path, is there such a method for it?
    Cyanogen Mod has many features and tweaks over stock ROM.

Including power control tweaks, over clocking, notification toggles. Call setting tweaks, lock screen tweaks, permission management etc etc... Plus with a stock ROM you can change kernels when you want. Also service seems seems bette to me then stock ROM.