1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Manually Turn Phone Off, then Must Pull Battery to Turn On Again

I'm having an issue with my fairly new Nexus S 4G. For the past couple of days, when I manually shut down the phone for whatever reason, I more often then not must pull the battery in order to turn the phone back on. I've even tried waiting a few minutes, but it just won't turn on without a battery pull.

Do you think this is a software issue, or should I exchange it? I've also tried doing a factory reset, to no avail.

I'm thinking that if a factory reset didn't fix the issue you might want to just replace the device. If its in the first 30 days you shouldn't have any issues returning it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It's only about two weeks old, so definitely within the 30 day return period. I'll stop by after work. Hopefully it won't suddenly work when I'm at the store (as I always seem to have that problem).
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Does the charge screen come up if the phone is plugged in?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Does the charge screen come up if the phone is plugged in?
    Nope. In fact, since I never really charge it with the phone off, I didn't know it was supposed to. But then after doing the battery pull and plugging the charger back in, the phone booted right up without me pressing the power button.

I'm having the same sort of issue with mine. Only difference is, mine randomly powers off by itself. I will take it out of my desk drawer & it will be turned off, and the only way to get it to power back up is to pull the battery.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerD View Post
    I'm having the same sort of issue with mine. Only difference is, mine randomly powers off by itself. I will take it out of my desk drawer & it will be turned off, and the only way to get it to power back up is to pull the battery.
    I haven't had that happen. The phone did reset itself once, but it didn't turn off--it just went straight to the startup screen.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

The only auto reboot I ave experienced so far was do to very low battery level - my fault - while listening to a podcast.

Just to be sure, when you pull the battery out and put it back in, just quickly pressing the power button won't turn on the phone. You have to press and hold for a second or so until it vibrates and Goggle appears on the screen.

Yep, I have held the button down, tried plugging the charger in, and nothing. As soon as I pull the battery & press the power button, it comes right back to life. This morning it was powered off while connected to the charger. I'm still within my 30 days, so maybe I'll try to swap it out for a new one.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerD View Post
    Yep, I have held the button down, tried plugging the charger in, and nothing. As soon as I pull the battery & press the power button, it comes right back to life. This morning it was powered off while connected to the charger. I'm still within my 30 days, so maybe I'll try to swap it out for a new one.
    I've been having similar issues with mine. I will take it out of my pocket, and the phone will be off. Only way to get it back on is to pull the battery. I haven't called Sprint about this yet, but if others are having this issue, I will have to call them on this. It's not the end of the world for me, but it is just annoying. Otherwise, the phone is fine, and I haven't had any other issues with it.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

I've seen this happen on the Evo and it was a software problem. Something is preventing the phone from turning off all the way.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    I've seen this happen on the Evo and it was a software problem. Something is preventing the phone from turning off all the way.
    This may be the case. I was going to go to the Sprint service center store today, but my phone is working correctly consistently now (I tried three times). I removed the MyProfiles app in favor of some widgets... that's the only app change I can think of (at least with ones that run in the background).

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

If you are experiencing this issue, do a full factory reset and run without any added apps to see if the problem persists. If it does, I would wait no further and go back to your vendor for an exchange.

Most of these problems are usualy caused by rouge apps causing some unwanted behavior and are usually cleared with a full reset. If you happen to call Sprint, more often than not they will ask you to do a full reset for this very reason. Sometimes uninstalling the offending app may not solve the problem so a reset is your best option.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Alright, I seem to have narrowed it down to an issue when the phone is plugged in. If the phone is unplugged, and I turn it off and on, it works. If it's charging, when I turn it off, I can't turn it back on until I do a battery pull. I'm going to do a factory reset and see if this is still the case.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Alright. Did the factory reset. Haven't installed a single app. Not only does the phone not recognize when it's plugged into a computer (USB storage), but it's still not turning back on when plugged in. I'm thinking there must be an issue with the USB/charging plug.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    Alright. Did the factory reset. Haven't installed a single app. Not only does the phone not recognize when it's plugged into a computer (USB storage), but it's still not turning back on when plugged in. I'm thinking there must be an issue with the USB/charging plug.
    Is possible a faulty port; I don't have the issue described on my Nexus. At this point I feel is prudent to exchange the phone for a new one before your trial period is over.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djshack View Post
    Yeah I think its time for an exchange.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

So I took it in, and it turned out there was corrosion in the charging/USB port. I have no clue how that happened (perhaps a rain drop got in?), but the store "made an exception" to the water damage rule (since there was no other indication of it) and exchanged it for a brand new one.