Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds

The Nexus S is a great phone offering developers a "pure" Android experience. That purity brings limitations a typical owner may never notice. Here are resources for Facebook Sync, Notification LED, microSD, RAM, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Lost Photos, Contact Groups, Email Search, 160 Character Text Limit, Camera Zoom, Browser Zoom, Video Formats, FM Radio, Visual Voicemail, HDMI, and Bluetooth.

Facebook Sync: Android devices sync with Facebook but Google "...purposely removed the [Facebook Sync] feature from the Nexus S and all future 'googlephones'..." The Nexus S doesn't sync Facebook Profile photos, status, messages, phones, events, birthdays, or notifications. Incoming calls don't pop-up with new profile photos and status.

If you root, Cyanogen can restore Facebook sync. If not, you can manually update some Facebook info:
    Friendcaster (free, $5: no ads) Get Facebook notifications, events, etc. Manually sync contacts & profile photos.
    • Manually import Facebook photos to the Nexus S with SyncMyPix or Easy Sync.
    Google Contact Sync updates photos and birthdays. (Facebook app)
    Friends to Gmail creates a file with name, birthday, etc. to import into Google Contacts (FAQ). LifeHacker article.

Notification LED: The Nexus S does not have a LED for missed calls, email, texts, or events. Try NoLED as a workaround.
    • If you are rooted, try the BackLightNotifications Mod to light up the buttons on a notification.

microSD: The Nexus S has 16GB but no microSD for added music, photos, and movies. Cloud storage options can help if needed.
    Dropbox stores up to 2GB (referral link for 2.25GB) for free. Open with the Dropbox app.
    Google Music can store your music to play with the Google Music app. Google Docs can store your doc or xls files for use by the Google Docs app.

RAM: Androids may have 1024MB of RAM for apps and operating system. If the Nexus S 512MB is an issue:
    • Remove apps that you don't use and use an app like Apps2SD to move apps out of the internal memory and onto the internal SD card.

Messaging: The Sprint Nexus S 4G Message app stops at 160 character. HandCent or ChompSMS (free) do not.

Speed Dial: The Nexus S doesn't have Speed Dial to assign contacts to numbers 1 to 9.
    Smart Dial: The Nexus lacks smart dial. "T9" smart dial lets you type a name such as: 2 for B, 7 for R to see names beginning "Br".
    There are some good phone apps that can be used in place of the stock Android phone:
    • Create a homescreen of dialing shortcuts: Long-press an empty spot > Shortcut > Direct Dial
    Go Contacts lets you dial a middle part of a name or number. For 202-456-1414, you can dial "456" or "1414".
    TouchPal Dialer lets you dial their initials for instance dial 2 for B, 6 for O for Barack Obama.
    Go Contacts & TouchPal Dialer can search contacts for "Pen" for contacts on Pennsylvania Ave or "Wash" for Washington.

Visual Voicemail: shows the caller's photo. A slider bar lets you play a certain portion as you would an MP3.
    • The Nexus S lacks Visual Voicemail. Youmail is a workaround but costs $10/month for full features.

Gallery: Nexus S owners have found relief from the lost photos, wrong photos, and slow photo loading with the QuickPic app.

Camera: The Nexus S Camera has only a 2x zoom and no Timer, Anti-Shake, Blink detection, or Guidelines. Consider:
    Vignette ($4, free demo), Camera Zoom FX ($4, free attachments)
    Action Snaps (free) shots bursts. Fast Camera ($2) is fast. Photoshop (free) adds more effects.

Calendar: The Nexus S Calendar does not let you choose the Default view, time zone, or first day of week. To add these features and more try Jorte-free (Review), Business Calendar Free ($6 Full) (Review, Developer), or Smooth Calendar.

Clock: The Nexus S Clock does not include a Timer, Stopwatch, World Clock, etc. Consider one of these Clocks.

Email: Nexus S Email search is limited and can't move deleted email to inbox and does not allow an automatic cc or bcc. Try K-9 Mail (Free) or Touchdown Exchange ($20, free trial).

Browser: The Nexus S browser has pan, zoom, and text reflow limitations and does not show browser windows as thumbnail cards. Consider browsers like Dolphin or Opera.

Home Screens: The Nexus S has 5 Home screens while 7 is common today. Use LauncherPro ($3 full), ADW.Launcher ($3 full), or GO Launcher EX (free) for more home screens and customization without rooting.

Music Player: The Nexus S does not have an Equalizer, Surround Sound effects, can't show lyrics, and is limited in showing album art. Consider:
    Music PlayerMeridianTuneWiki

Video Player: The Nexus S does not play video formats other Android phones play such as DivX and XviD. Android Market offers workarounds:
    Convert your videos to a format the Nexus S can use.
    Vital Player (Free, Pro $4), Vplayer (Full: $5), & MoboPlayer add many formats. mVideoPlayer is great but adds no formats.

Android Contact Groups: let you group contacts to send a text or email. The Nexus S can't edit contact groups. Workarounds:
    • Setup contact groups on your PC at www.gmail.com. Use Clix Group Manager ($1) to setup contact groups from your phone.
    • Use a free app like Go Contacts to group contacts (also a smart dialer)

FM Radio: The Nexus S lacks an FM Radio so consider TuneIn (Pro) for local AM/FM stations. Also try Pandora, Slacker, and iheartradio.

HDMI: The Nexus S USB port does not serve as an HDMI port but the Nexus S has DLNA for wireless HD.

Bluetooth: The 2009 Bluetooth 3.0 standard is faster and uses less power. The Nexus S is 2.1. Use WiFi when you can.

HD Recording: Some Androids record HD Video. The Nexus S is 480p. There is no workaround but is this something you need?

Keyboard: The Gingerbread keyboard is good but some prefer SwiftKey, Swype, or other Keyboards.

See the Getting Started guide and Phone Comparison for more. This information was drawn from many gurus including igotsanevo4g,
    ragnarokx, and especially Baconator 's thread [How-to] Nexus S Answers. Thank you! Also see the Nexus S 4G Limitations.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Thanked by 5:
    alluredetail and cualta like this.

There is none, Google and Facebook are not speaking and this what happened.

This is what happens when mom and dad fight... :-(

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No I do not know how to do this but someone must. There are dozens of posts asking how to do this.

I have seached and find nothing short of rooting.

Please give the answer and I will post it in this opening post. If the only answer is to root, please tell what to do and what ROMS work.

Thanks!
    You can read all about it here.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, I know that mom and dad are not talking. Three questions.

1. If you are rooted, can you just use a different ROM? Which ones?

2. That article says that future devices would not have Facebook sync either. Do Honeycomb devices have Facebook sync?

3. Are the OEM's just putting the sync in themselves on all the other phones?
    Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM

Go to go app market and download syncmypic
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by evoldroid View Post
    Go to go app market and download syncmypic
    Thanks.

That is the only piece of the puzzle that I can find as well. That way you can manually sync profile photos but not status updates or facebook events and birthdays into the calendar.

Is the Xoom locked out of facebook sync as well? Future devices as well?

Are there any ROMs for the Nexus S 4G that bring Facebook sync back?
    Milo

ROM
    deck1.3d/matr1x10.5cfs

My Method.

You cannot Sync directly with FaceBook. You are forced to manually put in your contacts (using Google Contacts online is actually really fast). After that, you can use the app "syncmypix" to bring down all your friends' pictured from FaceBook.
    Motorola Q > Palm Pre > [HL]Google Nexus S 4G[/HL]
    More awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear while having sex with a unicorn during an explosion in space...

All the cool kids click the "Thanks" button on my posts...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thanks to everyone who has offered help so far!

Since this is the only thread I can find on How to Sync Facebook Contacts to the Nexus S 4G, I am going to ask that it be stickied. Facebook sync is integrated into contacts, dialer, messages, calendar, and other apps. Until the Nexus S and Nexus S 4G.

I have found one key new workaround to import Facebook contacts directly into Google Contacts. Google Contact Sync creates a csv file from your Facebook Friends names, phones, birthdays, etc. to import into Google Contacts. (Facebook app)

The Opening Post is updated.

Can anyone answer the remaining questions in the opening post?
    Milo

Remaining question #1 is yes. FB contact syncing still works in various 3rd party roms such as cyanogen. Regarding other roms, I can't answer that. The developer would need to say if they decompiled contactsprovider.apk and added Facebook back in. It's a 2 minute process so I'd imagine everyone would be doing it but you know what happens when we ***-u-me
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +
    Thanked by:
    milominderbinde likes this.

Background
    Google Contact Sync matches Google Contacts to Facebook Friends to update photos and birthdays. (Facebook app)
    Friends to Gmail creates a CSV file with name, birthday, location, etc. that can be imported into Google Contacts (FAQ). See LifeHacker article.

Thank you very much for these. I was using sync my pix but it only only solved a third of the problem. These provided great work arounds...
    Thanked by:

Google Contact Sync creates a csv file from your Facebook Friends names, phones, ....
    I'm trying to choose between a Nexus S and an Evo, and one of the downfalls of the Nexus S seems to be the inability to sync up with FB contacts to get phone numbers. You mention that you can sync up phones, but I'm seeing contradictory info elsewhere. Have you seen this work personally? I want to be sure my pro/con list has current info.

Thanks!
    Stephanie

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How do you Sync Facebook Contacts to the Nexus S 4G?

The Facebook 1.6 update just arrived, but alas, syncing is still broken on the Nexus S

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    ROM
    depends on the time

using the tmobile social network services app works to provide at least basic info. still no birthdays, but pics and locations.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by slr29er View Post
    I'm trying to choose between a Nexus S and an Evo, and one of the downfalls of the Nexus S seems to be the inability to sync up with FB contacts to get phone numbers. You mention that you can sync up phones, but I'm seeing contradictory info elsewhere. Have you seen this work personally? I want to be sure my pro/con list has current info.

Thanks!
    Stephanie
    There is no way to sync a stock Nexus S with Facebook. Google has removed this functionality.

What these workaround do is give you a manual way to put some of your Facebook Friend info into Gmail contacts.

But you will not see their status update in the Contacts list or caller ID when they call. If they change their profile picture, you will still have the old one from when you manually did the work-around.
    Milo

Global Posts
    1,824 Global Posts

With the release of Google+, Google's anti Facebook strategy is becoming much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMster View Post
    using the tmobile social network services app works to provide at least basic info. still no birthdays, but pics and locations.
    Maybe it's because it's still syncing but I'm not seeing email or phone numbers either. Just pics and locations.

Default Re: Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workaro

very nice, thanks for the info. it helps.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Hey guys, there's a third party Facebook app called Friendcaster which just added contact syncing and works well on NS4G and as a bonus the app is free plus the notifications actually work unlike the Facebook app.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan2348 View Post
    Hey guys, there's a third party Facebook app called Friendcaster which just added contact syncing and works well on NS4G and as a bonus the app is free plus the notifications actually work unlike the Facebook app.
    Thanks!

I will add a link to Friendcaster:

Does Friendcaster automatically update profile photo and status in your contacts list?

When a friend calls, does Friendcaster make it so that you see their updated profile photo and status?

Does Friendcaster link your Facebook contacts in with yout Google contacts?

If you only have a contact in Facebook, can you send them an email using your stock email app? Or do you have to have a Google contact for them as well?

Can some others with Nexus S phones try this?

Jordan, thanks for the great find on the manual sync and the notifications! I am hoping it addresses some of the other things too.
    Milo

ROM
    deck1.3d/matr1x10.5cfs

Can anyone confirm or deny that BLN control - Pro works with the Nexus S 4G?
    Motorola Q > Palm Pre > [HL]Google Nexus S 4G[/HL]
    More awesome than a shark high-fiving a bear while having sex with a unicorn during an explosion in space...

All the cool kids click the "Thanks" button on my posts...

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeCourseyyy View Post
    Can anyone confirm or deny that BLN control - Pro works with the Nexus S 4G?
    It works if you are using a Custom Kernal that is compatible with it. I know Matr1x and Netarchy both are compatible with BLN and BLN Pro.

I installed Syncmypix, and got most of the pics to show up in contacts. But what about my own pic from Facebook ? I have my dog as my pics on FB, and want that on my phone too, mainly for texting, I like to see that pic as me while texting, when I am texting people with no pic it gets confusing seeing both greyed out boxes.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Default Galaxy Nexus Workarounds

The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone offering a "Pure Android Experience." That purity brings differences a typical Android owner may not have seen before. Here are workarounds for Facebook Sync, LED Blink Rate, microSD, Speed Dial, Smart Dial, Messaging Enter Key, Browser Zoom, FM Radio, Visual Voicemail Photos, etc. Some also "Root" and replace everything with a different "ROM."

Facebook Sync: Is "...removed...from all future 'googlephones'..." The Galaxy Nexus doesn't sync Facebook profile photos, status, messages, phones, events, birthdays, or notifications. Calls don't pop-up with new profile photos.
    • Workaround: Friendcaster (free, $5: no ads) or Haxsync for ICS add many sync features back in.

Notification LED Slow Blink Rate: The Galaxy Nexus Notification LED blinks slowly, about once every 10 seconds. To be sure it is not blinking, look at it for a full 10 seconds.
    • Workaround: LightFlow Lite let's you customize blink rates, vibrations, sounds, and repeats.

microSD: microSD cards store movies, photos and music, backup texts, alarms, settings, and Nandroid backups. A microSD slot adds 2% to the volume. microSD cards are under $50 for 32GB.
    • Workaround: Use free "Cloud Storage" like Dropbox (extra for free), Google Music, Google Docs, etc.

Low speaker/headphone volumes: Some feel that the maximum volumes are too low.
    • Workaround: Volume+ Sound Boost (dev website) let's you increase the volume.

Battery Life: The Nexus is a fire-breathing dragon with a big screen, LTE, and six other radios. That takes a lot of power.
    • Workaround: Consider an extended battery and see the Battery Life Tips.

Messaging: The Nexus messaging is missing the Return Key.
    • Workaround: HandCent or ChompSMS add many texting features.

Visual Voicemail: shows the caller's photo. A slider bar lets you play a certain portion as you would an MP3.
    • Workaround: Youmail will show the caller's photo.

Speed Dial: The Nexus Lacks Speed Dial to assign contacts to numbers 1 to 9. Long-press 2 for Voice mail, etc.
    • Workaround 1: Get an app like Go Contacts or TouchPal Dialer for Speed Dial.
    • Workaround 2: Create Dialer Shortcuts on a home screen for each number.

Smart Dial: The Nexus lacks smart dial. "T9" smart dial lets you type a name such as: 2 for B, 7 for R to see names beginning "Br".
    • Workaround: Get an app like Go Contacts or TouchPal Dialer.

Contact Search: The Nexus lets you search names but not city, street, notes, etc. such as, "Who is on Baker street?"
    • Workaround: Go Contacts & TouchPal Dialer search names, city, street, etc.

Clock: The Galaxy Nexus Clock does not include a Timer, Stopwatch, World Clock, etc.
    • Workaround: Consider one of these full-featured Clocks.

Browser: If you pinch to zoom, the text does not always word-wrap.
    • Workaround: Browsers like Dolphin or Opera word-wrap. The manual reflow trick can help too.

5 Home Screen Limit: ICS does not allow Homescreens to be added.
    • Workaround: Get a launcher like LauncherPro, ADWLauncher or Nova Launcher to add or remove home screens.

Keyboard Text Predictions: The ICS keyboard is good but some have problems with the text predictions or want more features.
    • Workaround: Consider SwiftKey, Swype, or other Keyboards.

Search Window on every Home Screen: The top 1/5 of each screen is now a search bar.
    • Workaround 1: LauncherPro, ADWLauncher or Nova Launcher let you use a 1x1 Search icon just on the pages you like.
    • Workaround 2: Settings > Manage apps > Google Search > Disable. Download Google Search from the market and use it instead.

FM Radio: The Nexus lacks an FM Radio.
    • Workaround: Consider TuneIn (Pro) for local AM/FM stations or Pandora, Slacker, and iheartradio.

ICS Tips & Tricks
    These tips are specifically for Android 4, Ice Cream Sandwich. 500 general Android tips are in the Getting Started guide.

Basics
    Home: To see your home screens with your apps and widgets.
    Menu (Technically "Action Overflow"): Tap to see Menu options.
    Settings: The fast way to Settings is to swipe Notifications bar down and taps the settings icon.
    Back: The Back button moves you back.
    Recent Apps: Swipe up or down to view open apps. Swipe left or right to close an app.
    All Apps: Tap to see your all of your apps and widgets.

Home screens
    Add an App: To add an app to a homescreen - Tap All Apps > Drag the app where you want it..
    Add a Widget: Place a widget On a home screen - Tap All Apps >Widgets > Drag the widget where you want it.
    Folders: Drag and drop one icon on top of another to start a folder.
    Settings Shortcuts: To place a settings shortcut on a home screen, tap My Apps > Widgets > Settings shortcut
    Show more icons: Get a launcher like LauncherPro, ADWLauncher or Nova Launcher.

Settings
    Turn LTE Off: To save a lot of battery, go to Settings > More > Mobile networks > Network Mode> CDMA.
    Animation Speed: To change speed, go to Settings > Developer Options > Window / Transission animation scale

Apps
    Download a New App: Tap All Apps > Market, and find a new app.
    Remove Bloatware without Rooting: Disable apps you can't remove in Settings > Apps > {app} > Disable.
    Uninstall an App: Fast way is to tap All Apps and drag the app icon to the word Uninstall at the top.

Sync
    Sync Photos with Picasa: Go to Settings > Accounts & sync > Google > Sync Picasa

Camera/Video
    Take a Photo While Video Recording: Just tap the screen while recording a video.
    Take a Photo From Lockscreen: Drag ring to Camera icon to instantly open camera.
    Take a Screenshot: Press Power and Volume down at the same time.

Notifications/Unlock
    Unlock Options: Go to Settings. Security > Screen lock to select None, Slide, Face Unlock, Pattern, etc.
    Facial Recognition: You can have multiple reference photos with a beard or makeup and without or for 2 people.
    Clear a Notification: Fast way is to swipe down Notification and swipe left or right on the notification to clear.
    Immediate Response: If you use Slide to Unlock, swipe down on the Notification bar to respond directly.

Phone
    Text Reply To A Call: When a call comes in drag up and choose which message to use.
    Phone Settings: In the Phone app, tap Action Overflow > Settings.

Clock
    Blue Clock: Open the ICS Clock app, long-press anywhere to dim and turn the display blue.
    Set an Alarm: The fast way is to tap your clock widget and you are there!

Browser
    Browser Quick Controls: Browser Action Overflow > Settings > Labs > Quick Controls. In a website, press on side of screen.
    Tabs: Tabs are browser windows. Tap Settings to open a tab. Swipe up/down to view. Swipe left/right to close.
    Browser History: As in Gingerbread, long-press Back in the ICS browser.
    Save a webpage: In the browser, tap Action Overflow > Save for offline reading.

Other
    Google Wallet: Get Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus with no hackery

Thanks to terpitude71, mclarryjr, Cyber Warrior, and so many others for help in preparing this.

Resources
    Nexus S Workarounds
    ICS Highlights
    Android Ice Cream Sandwich: 11 awesome tips and tricks
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Tips and Tricks [VIDEO]
    Complete Guide to the Galaxy Nexus 4G LTE [Verizon]
    Ice Cream Sandwich tips & tricks | The Verge Forums
    Ice Cream Sandwich: Hints, Tips and Tricks
    A User's Guide to Android Ice Cream Sandwich
    Ice Cream Sandwich Google Apps tip: long press any icon for its ...
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: 8 Essential Tips and Tricks
    Tips and tricks for your new Galaxy Nexus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-home-36x32.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-ic_action_overflow.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-ic_action_overflow-20x21.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-ic_launcher_settings-32x32.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-ic_launcher_settings-20x20.png  

Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-return-32x32.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-return-20x20.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-recentapps-36x32.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-recentapps-23x20.png   Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-home-23x20.png  

Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds-allapps-20x20.png  
    Milo
    Thanked by:

I stumbled upon this in the market and it can be used instead of / in conjunction with No Led. https://market.android.com/details?i...ashlightAlerts

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    NS4G
    Kindle Fire JellyBean 4.1.1 JandyCane
    Dropbox lets you sync files across several platforms. Sign up for free, install, and get me extra space!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast