I now have a Nexus S 4G AND an HTC Sensation

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
This whole signal thing is pissing me off. I get fine reception at home, but around town, its hit or miss. I went to a 5th place yesterday where I went from 1 bar of 3G to 1x then to...roaming? Roaming? Meanwhile I have a friend who needed to pay her TMobile bill so I walk in and go play with the Sensation. Had 4 full bars of 4G in an area I was lucky to get 2 bars of 3G, forget 4G. So long story short, I picked one up for a trial. Its a very nice phone but it isnt as lightning fast as I was expecting. In fact, there are some times where the Nexus will load up a page quicker. There is no clear winner really, just depends on the area I am in. Some areas the Nexus S gets a better signal, some the Sensation will. However, I have yet to get full bars of 3G or 4G on the Nexus but I can get full 4G on the Sensation. One thing that sucks about the Sensation is I get no signal in my apartment which is typical of TMobile here. Luckily they have the wifi calling feature, so that works.

A few things I do prefer about the Sensation is the screen which surprises me since it looked washed out in all the reviews. I like being able to do voice and data at the same time since TMobile is GSM. I like having a SIM card and I like the build quality better, plus it shoots 1080p video and has an 8MP camera. Still not sure which I will keep though, have to compare some more today.

Reactions: FlashGal

FlashGal

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, FocusFreak, good to know! I've been looking for a great option to replace my Vibrant, and even though I've had mucho reception problems with Sprint in the past, I've been wanting to check out the Nexus S 4G anyway...glutton for punishment, I guess ;). However, I will definitely be looking at the Sensation tomorrow.
Thanks again!

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
How are the data speeds on T-Mobile?

Its funny because if you go to Speakeasy and compare the 2 phones, most the time the Nexus has much faster speeds but when you fire up the same website, the Sensation opens it faster. I am not sure how reliable that Speakeasy site is. I have never seen a higher speed on Speakeasy than like 1.61 down for the Sensation but it will run faster than the Nexus that gets like 6-8Mbps down which doesnt add up. I know Quadrant isnt optimized for dual core phones yet and thats throws off the speeds, could be the same with Speakeasy. I dunno.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Which could lead me to the EVO 3D next week... I like my Nexus, in fact, love it, but I get 1-2 bars whereas my Pre gets full bars in the same room of my house -- my den! Everywhere I go, it's the same thing.

Trandz#CB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not getting ANY signal issues. In fact where I live I am getting a better signal on my nexus then I did with my evo shift. Def made the right choice with the phone, i love it.

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
Well after 3 days of testing and considering, I think I will be keeping the Sensation and selling the Nexus. The only thing I really prefer on the Nexus over the Sensation is the speakerphone and thats about it. Even when I have had no 4G signal on Tmobile, I have at least been able to get 2G and not go into roaming like I did on the Nexus several times. Its too bad they didnt up the specs on the Nexus for Sprint or change it somehow because these new phones out now and the ones coming in the next month or so really take it to the next level. Google is usually a step ahead so I dunno. This is also the 3rd Samsung phone in a row with a weak radio. Hopefully the Nexus 3 will be killer and out by the years end.