Sprint Working Nexus S 4G Update To OS 2.4?

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
For you people constantly complaining about signal issues, As stated in another post (don't know which one exactly) return to stock and update prl and profile. I initially returned to stock while still having root and had problems updating, but when I removed root, they both updated flawlessly. Although the signal increase isn't extreme, I did increase from zero/one bars to an almost constant two bars. My 3G drops A-LOT less too. (virtually never ) I my reception is as perfect as it needs to be. I don't have 4G at home but when I drove to the 4G active part of town, 4G increased 1 to 2 bars. Once youre updated, re-root and the updates stick............I take no credit for this info.

jrdatrackstar1223

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
funny....I actually have an iPhone 4 (work phone) and Nexus S next to each other, and the Nexus S has two bars of Wi-fi from our company, while the iPhone can't connect..........

AT&T kills Sprint though in 3G speeds.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
For you people constantly complaining about signal issues, As stated in another post (don't know which one exactly) return to stock and update prl and profile. I initially returned to stock while still having root and had problems updating, but when I removed root, they both updated flawlessly. Although the signal increase isn't extreme, I did increase from zero/one bars to an almost constant two bars. My 3G drops A-LOT less too. (virtually never ) I my reception is as perfect as it needs to be. I don't have 4G at home but when I drove to the 4G active part of town, 4G increased 1 to 2 bars. Once youre updated, re-root and the updates stick............I take no credit for this info.

I've never rooted and I can't update profile or PRL. I tried a factory data reset and still not working. I have 2 nexus s devices on my account. One will update profile and the other won't. Both preform identical in the signal strength.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
PRL is for when you are off the network, not on the Sprint network, as I understand it. So updating won't do anything.

And I'm not sure as to how updating one's profile would cause the signal to increase.

Until someone provides technical details of how either one of these would help with the signal, I'll just keep rolling my eyes whenever anyone brings it up. :D

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Im still a n00b in the Android department, but I have a rooted Nexus S 4g, and a stock android build. I'm able to go in and update my prl and profile without issues. But thing changes with the prl number etc.

At this point im not even sure how to do a factory reset with a image of some sort; ala, webos doctor.

JRodHimself

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I take some issues with this screen shot. Not trying to rain on anyones parade but let me play devils advocate

1) The build date on that ROM is 4/19/2011. This phone didnt come out until 5/8/2011. This is someone likely testing a pre-release build hence why it's signed with test keys. Also, the baseband (see point 2 below) also lends credibility to this being a pre-release build.

2) The phone in the picture is running baseband D720SPRKD6. Ours has D720SPRKD8. That means our phone has a newer baseband than the one in the picture. So that would mean they are testing a new software build, with an old baseband?? :confused: me thinks not. Our baseband was immediately updated to D8 upon activation. Actually, i got my phone on 5/6 and it was upgraded so that means this screen shot happened before 5/6

3) With the above info calling certain things into question, the only real leg to stand on is the android version shows 2.4. Give me a few minutes and I'll upload an attach a picture of mine running ..... version 3.9.6 (number was randomly picked out of the air, do not PM me asking for a build of 3.9.6 lol)

EDIT - Pic attached
Cool that you can make yours show you're running 3.9.6, I on the other hand don't have as much time to waste doctoring photos. The photos I uploaded were taken with my NS4G and they came from a phone that was activated in store.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Cool that you can make yours show you're running 3.9.6, I on the other hand don't have as much time to waste doctoring photos. The photos I uploaded were taken with my NS4G and they came from a phone that was activated in store.

The photo isn't doctored in any way shape or form. That shot of my about screen went from phone to attached to a post and never saw an editing software. It took 10 seconds to change /system/build.prop/ro.version.release= to whatever I want it to say. As you can see from the screen shot I was in a poor signal area so it actually took longer to install shoot me for the screen shot than it did to edit a simple text file.

Apparently my time is less valuable than yours ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: kalex

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
KsmithNY is right there is no point of spending time in photoshop as u can just change build prop file and it will be a lot faster than working on doctoring your photos :)

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Not to say that 2.4 doesn't exist in some shape or form, but my buddy at the Goog only has 2.3.5 on his Nexus S.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Not to say that 2.4 doesn't exist in some shape or form, but my buddy at the Goog only has 2.3.5 on his Nexus S.

If it's NS4G can you get me a system dump? I'd be willing to work with said buddy to ensure any identifiable information was properly removed. Also would need the baseband (radio.img) from the phone. No harm in asking :p

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
If it's NS4G can you get me a system dump? I'd be willing to work with said buddy to ensure any identifiable information was properly removed. Also would need the baseband (radio.img) from the phone. No harm in asking :p

Sadly he owns the TMobile version.

jonmusick

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
See there are a number of issues to be considered here, I talked to some executive tech people at sprint and they said they have no info about the update they said samsung and google let them know ( all be it with no notice or very short notice ) pretty much last minute. Second I don't know if any of you have ever talked to anyone at Samsung before at least their tech support people ( I'm sorry but these are not tech support people, if you have to ask me 16 times what my name is then there is a problem, secondly when you call in why is everyone's name Bob, I know like 2 Bob's period and none of them have a thick accent and have about the same understanding of the English language as i do the Spanish language. ) but they are horrible. I guess I am just very confused I know this isnt a true software update from the standpoint of Android but a lot of the draw to this device was because it was Google's baby, they support it, its there build, the only thing Samsung did was put the plastic crap together. I also don't know what the point is in these info leaks, and I have to be honest and say I did the same thing all you did and check for updates like 10 times a day, but at this point i'm just done doing that, you would think that signal issues and 4g issues of this magnitude would be a top priority of both of these companies to get fixed ASAP but maybe I'm just too arrogant to understand what is really involved. At any rate whenever this does happen I am sure of one thing it will just happen it won't be leaked it won't be recorded by someone who has wire tapped some a hole at Google or Samsung, its just going to show up randomly like your tax refund, whenever it feels like it.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Guys, you're not going to get ANY information out of Sprint or Google. They're pretty much under NDA and if they were to tell you something, they would lose their jobs. They will not tell you what's in the update and they will not tell you when it's coming.

All you need to know is there is an update, it is coming. It was supposed to come on July 11th but was delayed for whatever reason Google felt was a good one. Samsung has nothing to do with this update as this is a Google-branded phone.

It'll get here when it gets here.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Guys, you're not going to get ANY information out of Sprint or Google. They're pretty much under NDA and if they were to tell you something, they would lose their jobs. They will not tell you what's in the update and they will not tell you when it's coming.

All you need to know is there is an update, it is coming. It was supposed to come on July 11th but was delayed for whatever reason Google felt was a good one. Samsung has nothing to do with this update as this is a Google-branded phone.

It'll get here when it gets here.

Actually, that's never been confirmed. All we had was a screenshot (which could have been faked or wrong) and then nothing happening. So we don't know that there even is an update.

BTW, question to everyone: where can I submit that I'm also having this issue (just to increase the # asking for it)?