How often do you reboot?

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Nexus for over a month now and I love it.

But I've noticed that I have to turn off the phone and restart it on a regular interval.
Example: This morning I tried to start an app that required network connection and it wouldn't work. I did notice that my signal bars and wifi indicators were white.
Once I restarted the phone everything worked fine. And it appears that I'm doing this about every 2 to 3 days.

Is this normal? And how often do you find yourself restarting the phone?

And 1 more question. On restart how do you control which apps get started. I have to go in and shut down Maps and Music everytime I restart.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I find myself rebooting the phone every couple of days as well. I basically just do it before I am going on a run, to make sure the GPS will work, rather than finding out it won't work, then having to reboot when I am ready to start...

It isn't that big of a deal, the phone is so fast, I can power off and power back on and be ready to go in about a minute. My old Palm Pre on the other hand.... that's painful.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It isn't that big of a deal, the phone is so fast, I can power off and power back on and be ready to go in about a minute. My old Palm Pre on the other hand.... that's painful.

Agree completely on both points.
It's not that big a deal. Just wanted to make sure it was "normal" so to speak.
It's been a couple of years since I had a smart phone and that was a Treo 755P.
And going from that to a basic cell phone (work provided) then to the Nexus is a HUGE leap for me.
So it's been a definite learning experience for me. And a fun one at that.

On start up. Is there a way to control which apps start on boot up?

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
On start up. Is there a way to control which apps start on boot up?

Sorry, I didn't answer that because I haven't run into that. I know when I cycle my phone, I actually do a power off, then power on (mainly because I haven't figured out how to do a reboot!). Are you doing a reboot instead? Maybe in that case, it is restarting whatever was running before?

When I power my phone on, the only program that runs is JuiceDefender.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
No worry. I'm doing the same as you. Power Off then Power On.
And I very much appreciate the response. I've picked up quite a bit from the forum so far.

After powering on, I go to Manage Apps and I select Running.
From there I usually have "Settings", "Antivirus", "com.android.sprintmenu","Market","Google Services","Android keyboard".
After a restart "Music" and "Maps" will be running also.

Is this about right?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No worry. I'm doing the same as you. Power Off then Power On.
And I very much appreciate the response. I've picked up quite a bit from the forum so far.

From there I usually have "Settings", "Antivirus", "com.android.sprintmenu","Market","Google Services","Android keyboard".

Is this about right?

Most likely you have other apps that require those apps or utilize those apps in some way to function. When you download apps from the market typically they will list what permissions or access they require, I suspect one of those apps is using these services. I would not be concerned since android handles memory and processes very well. To better understand you might want to read the link below, it is a good read!

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

turg

May 20, 2010
Visit site
You might want to try just toggling airplane mode on and off. That usually fixes the data connection for me.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I do this on a regular basis once a week, just for the life of the phone, and it runs smoother anyways. Even if my phone is running smooth i do a cold shutdown ( take out the battery without turning it off) and let it sit there for about 10 minutes than start it. Again i do this with any phone once a week.:cool:

Ho12nyGuy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
One has to remember that a smartphone is like a mini computer. It will require a reboot every once in a while to be optimal. This usually will clear out any problems or lingering programs that you may have shut down but for some reason it is still tying up resources. I also turn it off and then turn it back on, even though I don't need to and I have noticed that when I do this, my phone works better than when I don't.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Is this about right?

Yes, I have that and more running as well. As others have said, it appears that Android does a good job of managing the running apps and free memory. I haven't looked very closely into it, but I do see apps running that I don't use, so I think I may look into it more, or maybe uninstall them...

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good input.
I'll take closer look at the various app requirements. However, I'm not too concerned.
As stated it does a pretty good job managing apps.

The Music is the one that caught my attention.
I don't recall it running after restart until I did the update.

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Its funny but i haven't rebooted my phone since I was done rooting it. Its been a while and had no issues. It might reboot it self but I haven't noticed. I did see low memory warnings few times but that issue seemed to resolve itself. Coming from LG Optimus S that tended to reboot itself every time i needed to lookup something this is nice.

Deacon#AC

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well yesterday I noticed that my signal indicators were (WIFI and Phone) and I tried the Airplane mode On/Off trick. And that seemed to work.
Then last night I decided to just turn off the phone completely for the night.
This morning I started it up, but when I tried to connect to one of my online apps I had to toggle the airplane mode again.

Should I get the sprint store to do a diagnostic on it?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I can only remember turning the phone off twice in the three weeks I've had the phone. And I think that both were just because I wanted to, not because I needed to.

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have to reboot every few days because my keyboard locks up on the stock messaging app and doesn't let you type anything. All I can do is hit the home button to escape. Anyone else having this issue?