nexus s 4g vs samsung within

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Im sure you all have read this before, but im looking for suggestions on what device to get next. I am thinking of going between the nexus s 4g or samsung within (akak galaxy S II on sprint. I like the pure google experience of the nexus but the galaxy seems like a beast. I already know the pros and cons of each, but i am mostly interested in which device will be better software wise in about 1 year. The only thing i don't like about the nexus s is that the hardware seems lagging. I don't expect to be a power user and don't really need dual core now. However, i don't know how the current hardware will limit my phone's software in the future. I like getting updates first, but is there any chance the nexus s won't get say any updates after ice cream cuz of its ****ty RAM? I am not sure if this is a big hinderance in terms of future OSes??? I obviously expect it to outdate after a while, (even though it already feels like it), but i want to know if you all think i can get ice cream and the update after that and it still be functioning on the nexus or should i just go with the galaxy??? Also, if the nexus 3 would be confirmed for sprint in the near future (say thanksgiving), i would def wait for it.

Thanks!

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
You did nothing but rag on the NS4G (which is fine) and owning the device will most likely do nothing to change your preconceived notions about it so get the Within.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It seems that you aren't really wanting the Nexus S. The GS2 should be aesome as should the next Nexus. As far as the Nexus being laggy, I haven't experienced that. I love this phone. And after the radios issue is fixed, I won't have any complaints whatsoever. But you should probably wait seeing as though you already favor the upcoming phones. You wouldn't want to be disappointed.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
There is ZERO lag on the NS4G and as far as software is concerned it took Samsung five months after Gingerbread was released to upgrade the Epic to Froyo, not even Gingerbread, I wouldn't trust Samsung as far as I could throw them if you want reliable software updates. NS4G all the way. Better interface, no clunky touchwiz, and a contour display that while subtle is quite nice! So if you want a dual core phone that is most likely to be on Froyo until next year then go ahead and get the GSII but if you want a phone that will be up to date as long as the hardware allows pick up the Nexus.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
From reading the OP it sounds like you have your mind made up so what exactly is being sought from NS4G users? Lag? I run at 800Mhz (200Mhz less than stock) and have yet to see lag. Hardware? We haven't even maxed out our hummingbird running at 1.4Ghz, why worry about tripple quadruple core? Software, really? The nexus series will beat every single phone in software updates.

If you want another phone, as long as its android I'm ok with that. But if your looking for us to tell you why you should pass up this king Kong of a phone for another phone, good luck :p

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
From reading the OP it sounds like you have your mind made up so what exactly is being sought from NS4G users?

I wonder too...

You did nothing but rag on the NS4G (which is fine) and owning the device will most likely do nothing to change your preconceived notions about it so get the Within.

Agree, you should go ahead and get the SGII, is certainly a top-of-the line multicore beast. With Gingerbread and unlocked bootloader out-of-the box, it should be the best of the new crop of super smartphones this year. I for one like the Nexus for now, it does what I need here and now and does it quite well... no lag here - not sure where you got that one from!

However, is likely that just before the SGII becomes available the next wonder phone will already be on the horizon possibly making the SGII look a little dated already. Just so you know. Bye...

webOSnewB

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all again, and thanks for replying. I guess i ranted too much and did not make myself clear :). What i am looking from you all is i guess is to tell me your opinion on how long you think the nexus s 4g hardware will still be compatible with future software. I never meant that the nexus lags, what i meant was that my friends told me that 512 mb of RAM is really ****ty considering future software updates MAY make the phone lag due to this factor.

I plan to hold onto whichever phone for the duration of my entire 2 year contract. Seeing how the nexus s came out at the beginning of the year, and just recently on sprint it has technically already been out for 6 months. There is already a new one on the horizon but im unsure if it will get on Sprint. Basically, i love the phone and if it was released the same time as galaxy s 2, i would still get the nexus. I'm however afraid that the phone is already a bit ond and by the time i am done with my contract it may be seriously lacking in hardware. The nexus 3 is not confirmed for sprint, so i am at a crossroads.

I am really not this nerdy lol but i have a thing for smartphones and have always loved the way technology moves. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest, but i do want my phone to be able to perform well for the duration of my contract.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well to help put things into perspective, the Nexus one launched January of 2010. While MANY MANY phones with bigger and better specs have launched since then, it was the second android phone to officially receive the GB update (Nexus S being first). Because these phones are developer phones and the OS is owned by google, we get first dibs. Android builds are optimized to support specific processors. GB was optimized for hummingbird which is why NS got it first while Google massaged it for use on the snapdragon. Ice cream sammy will be optimized for dual core processors so whatever nexus device is next will have a dual core processor and it receive the first update, but the NS and N1 will be the second and 3rd devices to officially get updated if history repeats itself.

In addition to the official updates, the nexus devices have a large development community so that's another thing to consider. Eventually you may get sick of stock OS or want a feature that can only be offered through a custom ROM so having a large development community, even if you never go that route, is a good thing. Another thing to note, this phone does not require a root exploit to unlock. It's really easy and should you decide to unlock it, it requires very little knowledge, time, and preparation.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Quit listening to your friends.

LOL! Or you should hang around a friend that actually owns a NS4G and try it for yourself... better yet, go pick one up and use it for the 30-day trial period, if you don't think by then this is a phone worth hanging to for the next couple of years, then you can return it and be done with it.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
LOL! Or you should hang around a friend that actually owns a NS4G and try it for yourself... better yet, go pick one up and use it for the 30-day trial period, if you don't think by then this is a phone worth hanging to for the next couple of years, then you can return it and be done with it.
Don't get me wrong, I can understand his apprehensions about future proofing, but it just seems like he's too hung up on specs.

The Nexus One "only" has 512 megs of RAM also, but it's still a contender in this day and age of dual cores. Thanks in part to the developer community, which was said in this thread.

Will that all change with Ice Cream Sandwich? Maybe. But I would bet that it will end up being a non-issue.

Bottom line is the dual core manufacturers have done a great marketing job.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I can understand his apprehensions about future proofing, but it just seems like he's too hung up on specs...

Agree, thats why I stated before that no matter which device you happen to consider, by the time you get it there will be the next great super phone already on the horizon with better specs, better OS and so forth.

My way of looking at this issue, get the phone that can serve your needs TODAY, you can always upgrade to the newer devices later when the current one is no longer working for you. Is unfortunate that with the rapid pace of technological innovation, no matter which device you choose, it will be overshadowed by next one well before it intended EOL.

esoh

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Agree, thats why I stated before that no matter which device you happen to consider, by the time you get it there will be the next great super phone already on the horizon with better specs, better OS and so forth.

My way of looking at this issue, get the phone that can serve your needs TODAY, you can always upgrade to the newer devices later when the current one is no longer working for you. Is unfortunate that with the rapid pace of technological innovation, no matter which device you choose, it will be overshadowed by next one well before it intended EOL.

I totally agree. And the way that phones are priced today, you can always sell a well-kept Nexus S 4G on eBay or Craigslist to pay the ETF to get a new phone. In this and age with the way tech is changing so fast and with the competition, I don't believe that anyone has any reason to ever get locked into a contract or hardware for 2 years. And with Android market, as long as you buy apps with one account, you can always move stuff over. It's just way too easy now.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, GB is built for samsung phones. I don't think the nexus will run it better than the GS2, or vice versa. As far as updates go, samsung is bad, where as the nexus will be first. You can root either, so that point is mute. The lack of sd card is a big deal for me. All in all, the nexus is a nice phone, but come on guys it really doesn't pose competition to the GS2. I mean the nexus is essentially 6+ months old. It's more realistic to compare the nexus to the evo, epic, droid x, droid charge. They are all similar in hardware.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
The lack of sd card is a big deal for me.
with so many cloud options these days, this point should be moot as well, but i completely understand why it's a selling point for some people.

All in all, the nexus is a nice phone, but come on guys it really doesn't pose competition to the GS2. I mean the nexus is essentially 6+ months old. It's more realistic to compare the nexus to the evo, epic, droid x, droid charge. They are all similar in hardware.
It's the two options the original posted presented to us. The thing is though is that the Nexus S, 6 months old or not, is still a top performer and I would personally put it above the EVO and the Epic. (I won't comment on the Droids since I don't have enough hands on with them)

I just think that the original posted is trying to talk himself out of a Nexus because of second hand opinions and talk himself into a device that isn't even out yet. Heck, the G2X was supposed to be the latest and greatest everything killer, but where's it at now?

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Chud, I feel the nexus is above the epic and evo as well. But I also think they are more comparable to the nexus than the GS2 is. The G2X is a brand new phone, the GS2 is already out in europe and people have them activated on att. That phone has already proven itself.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, GB is built for samsung phones. I don't think the nexus will run it better than the GS2, or vice versa. As far as updates go, samsung is bad, where as the nexus will be first. You can root either, so that point is mute.

Agree. Also the GS2 is coming out with an unlocked bootloader so should be as hackable as the Nexus line.

The lack of sd card is a big deal for me.

That is certainly a valid argument. Personally 16GB of internal memory is more than plenty for me but I realize that is not the case for everyone else.

All in all, the nexus is a nice phone, but come on guys it really doesn't pose competition to the GS2. I mean the nexus is essentially 6+ months old. It's more realistic to compare the nexus to the evo, epic, droid x, droid charge. They are all similar in hardware.

Again, good point.

However, the Nexus, Evo, Epic and other top line phones continue to perform every bit as good as the Evo 3D despite lacking a dual core processor. I would submit that, besides 3D imaging, the Evo 3D can not perform any core function that the Nexus, Evo 4G, Epic and others can just as well.

Honestly, I don't understand all this "dual-core mania" everyone has; I don't see the point of a dual core processor running what is still essentially a PHONE. Unless you plan on running computationally intensive applications with that dual core processor phone (i.e., word processing, relational databases, large complex spreadsheets, raw file photo editing), is of no real advantage. Even if you could, the small screen imposes a real limitation on what you can accomplish.

I know my next phone will be a dual core, not by choice, just what will be available when I'm ready for an upgrade. Still I do fail to see the advantage of such a processor on a PHONE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20