July 31

AZMotorgod

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Been a Palm fan since the first Palm Pilot but with no Pre3 news on the horizon I will stay with Sprint and give the Photon a try. I am anxious to try Android and Motorola's hardware and build quality are looking very good to me, this and the fact that the Galaxy S2 is a BIG no-show.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Been a Palm fan since the first Palm Pilot but with no Pre3 news on the horizon I will stay with Sprint and give the Photon a try. I am anxious to try Android and Motorola's hardware and build quality are looking very good to me, this and the fact that the Galaxy S2 is a BIG no-show.

Is it me or are there more than a few Palm Pre owners wanting to buy a Photon? More than I see in the EVO 3d... I guess the people that want a Pre3 want international roaming, so the photon is a good choice. :)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or are there more than a few Palm Pre owners wanting to buy a Photon? More than I see in the EVO 3d... I guess the people that want a Pre3 want international roaming, so the photon is a good choice. :)

It may also be that a lot of them bought the Pre two years ago when it first came out and have been waiting for a phone that really excites them. I know at least one Pre owner like that who has so far passed up everything that's come out in the past year.

rayln

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded from my pre.
I actually really enjoy the EVO 3D.
Much more than I thought I would.

I might still look into the photon as it was what I originally had been set on getting but the lack of esmr support, fingerprint reader and size of the moto dev. Community compared to htc have me on the fence.

Realistically, I won't use the docks and do not not travel internationally.

So at this point, the only real draw for me is the greater internal storage.

The gsii isn't a must have for me. Especially considering samsungs software history. I mean really, the epic didn't get froyo until March.

I'll still look into the photon though and will consider the gsii if sprint's version is exynos equipped, unlike the gsm models that have passed through the fcc.

graffix31

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
im a current pre owner getting ready to jump ship myself. to me the evo 3d although powerful is just to gimmicky for me. really no need for it. i have heard very mixed things about its performance as well. this phone def peaks my interest and when the galaxy s2 is dropped i have a decision to make thats for sure. like was said if it has the exynos chipset its mine for sure. even if it doesnt i think it still has a small edge over the photon. waiting for some in depth reviews before i make my decision.

Last edited:

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just bought one off a guy on Friday. Guess he got one as a tester from sprint. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sent From The 2nd SHOOTER On The Grassy Knoll!

dwshen

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It will be replacing my Pre minus. I am a bit anxious about leaving a physical keyboard but the Photon looks amazing. May have to get a bluetooth keyboard that I can also use with my Xoom.

I was holding out for a Sprint Pre3...but alas doesn't seem likely

Also if you are a DirectBuy member you can pre-order for $154.99

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the launch day (06/09), Pre owners that has passed on everything.... ;-) love webOS, really wanted a Pre3.... sadly, it's not coming to Sprint. Hours of research has led me to the Photon.

The docking options for home and car will help my addiction to the amazing and slick Touchstone™ chargers.... the Tegra2, full gig of ram and 16 gigs of on-board storage, 8 mp dual flash autofocus camera, DLNA streaming, and yes, motoblur. (So, sue me and call me stupid, but I like it), and the silly but useful kickstand all add up to make me excited for the first time in two years, to be getting a new phone. My Pre will become a dedicated mp3 player, and travel alarm.... :-(

l1fe

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of the launch day (06/09), Pre owners that has passed on everything.... ;-) love webOS, really wanted a Pre3.... sadly, it's not coming to Sprint. Hours of research has led me to the Photon.

The docking options for home and car will help my addiction to the amazing and slick Touchstone? chargers.... the Tegra2, full gig of ram and 16 gigs of on-board storage, 8 mp dual flash autofocus camera, DLNA streaming, and yes, motoblur. (So, sue me and call me stupid, but I like it), and the silly but useful kickstand all add up to make me excited for the first time in two years, to be getting a new phone. My Pre will become a dedicated mp3 player, and travel alarm.... :-(

This pretty much sums up my take on the Photon. Just wish we could get final word on the display and the CDMA 800 (or lack thereof) frequency.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This pretty much sums up my take on the Photon. Just wish we could get final word on the display and the CDMA 800 (or lack thereof) frequency.

What about CDMA 800 do you want to know? According to Sprint, the project wont be complete for about 3-5 years, but honestly, they have to coordinate with Clearwire (WiMax) and LightSquared (LTE). Now, also remember that 90%+ of Sprint's towers are leased to them.... That's another logistical nightmare. In a nutshell, these towers will be built (for the most part) where Clear and LightSquared wont be, but then this also means potential less revenue for them. See how logistically, this is a nightmare?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It will be replacing my Pre minus. I am a bit anxious about leaving a physical keyboard but the Photon looks amazing. May have to get a bluetooth keyboard that I can also use with my Xoom.

I was holding out for a Sprint Pre3...but alas doesn't seem likely

Also if you are a DirectBuy member you can pre-order for $154.99

Do you happen to know what's the final price after shipping and taxes? DirectBuy has a 30 free membership and I might give it a try.

l1fe

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What about CDMA 800 do you want to know? According to Sprint, the project wont be complete for about 3-5 years, but honestly, they have to coordinate with Clearwire (WiMax) and LightSquared (LTE). Now, also remember that 90%+ of Sprint's towers are leased to them.... That's another logistical nightmare. In a nutshell, these towers will be built (for the most part) where Clear and LightSquared wont be, but then this also means potential less revenue for them. See how logistically, this is a nightmare?

My question revolved more around CDMA 800 on SMR as opposed to the 4g rollout over 800MHz. I believe the EVO3D has the bands necessary to use 817-824MHz (I think), which theoretically would allow for better building penetration, whereas the Photon does not (at least based on initial docs). I realize Sprint's rollout of this will take multiple years, but the DC area, where I live, is usually at the top of most rollout lists. Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense, since I've only begun my research a week or so ago.

jlewis

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm strongly considering making the move from my EVO 4G. I got the EVO during the first 2 weeks, and I've loved it. Until the dreaded GB update, that is. Now it drives me crazy half the time I try to use it!

What really attracts me to the Photon is the laptop-like dock. I would like to hear from somebody who has used one on the other Moto phone already out.

Also, I wonder if Moto will be doing an updated laptop dock for the new phone, or just sticking to the same one used for the Atrix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci