Is not wanting 3d a valid reason to get the Photon

freeridstylee

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It's probably the only reason I want it over the evo3d. I'm kind of wondering if that is even a remotely valid reason to get the Photon, or if I'm just being crazy.

Matal

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I know thats why I was going to get the photon over the 3D.

However, as somebody who sells wireless devices it's a completly justifyable reason. Would I make that the only reason? Probably not but hey I just sell them. I've seen people pick their phone with the flip of a coin. Best advice I can give you is to wait untill Sunday go into a store and feel and play with both of them side by side. Let the phones "talk" to you. Get which everone feels right to you. Hell if you pick wrong you have 30 days to change to the other one.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You're not being crazy. No way. We all have our reasons for the decisions we make. But "brisperel" has a valid point. Wait until the Photon hits Sprint stores, go down to one and play with them both. You may love Sense 3.0 and not care for Blur. You may not like the kickstand on the Photon. You may like the screen on the 3D better. Yet you may prefer the build and feel of the Photon. The list goes on ...

Like many other 3D owners, you may love everything else the 3D has to offer compared to current alternatives, even if you don't care for the 3D aspect itself.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Why would not wanting 3D be an invalid reason to purchase a device? You are the one that will be stuck with the phone for two years (unless you upgrade more often), so might make it a device worth sticking with :)

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, now that was simple wasn't it :) That is the reason I didn't get the 3d even as much as I love my 4g. I decided to wait for the SGS2 instead of the Photon though.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's probably the only reason I want it over the evo3d. I'm kind of wondering if that is even a remotely valid reason to get the Photon, or if I'm just being crazy.

Unless you need a business phone you would probably be better off with something else.
In the next 30 days there are several phones coming out
Galaxy S2
Epic2
Iphone
There is even suppose to be a 4G version of the XPRT

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Unless you need a business phone you would probably be better off with something else.
In the next 30 days there are several phones coming out
Galaxy S2
Epic2
Iphone
There is even suppose to be a 4G version of the XPRT

Xpert is a business phone. Epic2 has a physical keyboard and the iPhone is well, an iPhone. So you probably aren't looking for those 3 for the reasons I just mentioned. The GS2 is a good possibly as long as you haven't been with Samsung in the past. But then again maybe you are a glutton for punishment

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Xpert is a business phone. Epic2 has a physical keyboard and the iPhone is well, an iPhone. So you probably aren't looking for those 3 for the reasons I just mentioned. The GS2 is a good possibly as long as you haven't been with Samsung in the past. But then again maybe you are a glutton for punishment

haha. i like your reasons. im one of the few that is on the fense between the iphone and the photon. i need a world phone but i care a lot about weight and size.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Not wanting 3D is one of the reasons why I dind't get the EVO 3D. Beyond that it's a great phone but I figured if I was never gonna use it, why bother having it?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
The 3d is actually pretty cool, try it, you might enjoy it.. to me its all about sense vs motoblur and sense does it for me!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I like Sense and even flashed a ROM to my EVO 4G that had Sense 3.0 worked in there and I thought it was great but when I upgrade a phone I want something new. I tend to be a creature of habbit and wanna beat that. It's been a year since my home icons have changed order :p

Plus, I don't have any issues with Motoblur (or whatever they're calling it now).

Last edited:

dr_hfuhuhurr

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I didn't want the EVO 3D either. I could really care less about 3D.

What sold me on this phone was:
1. International Capable!!!!!
2. Dual Core Tegra 2 Chip
3. Webtop/Laptop Dock

freeridstylee

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Some good things here, thanks! I'm a sad lost Webos puppy, wondering around with a phone on its deathbed. You guys have too many options, and while that's a good thing, it has its downfalls.

I would probably have the 3d already if it didn't have the 3d feature. I'll probably get the Photon, my only fear is that it won't support nearly as many different roms as the 3d would.

Also as for keyboards, I would love a portrait slider, but would never consider a landscape one (I''m not a 13 year old girl).

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

If you don't like the 3D feature, simply don't use it. Just about everything (user interface, menus, apps, etc) on the phone is 2D just like the original Evo 4G. 3D only kicks in if you want to take or watch a 3D photo/video or play a 3D game. Otherwise, you can simply snap photos and videos in 2D, you don't have to use 3D. The Evo 3D and Photon 4G are both the same price so you aren't paying anything extra for 3D. Think of 3D as an added bonus. Its there if you want to use it but you don't have to. You are free to use the Evo 3D entirely in 2D if that's what your preference is (and that's exactly what I do). I think a better name for the phone would be the "Evo 2" (that just happens to be 3D capable).

Honestly though, I wouldn't even give much consideration to the 3D feature in your decision process. Things like the user interface (Motoblur vs Sense), physical size, kickstand, hardware specs, world phone capability, etc should be the biggest factors when deciding between the two devices.

29Packers

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Just has good a reason has any everyone wants and likes different things about their phones i love the 3d option but its all personal preferences and in the end your the one who will have the 2 year contract so nothing wrong with not wanting the Evo based on the 3d. I cant stand Moto Blur but some people dont mind it just try it when it comes out and then decide based on that.

Last edited:

29Packers

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Just has good a reason has any everyone wants and likes different things about their phones i love the 3d option but its all personal preferences and in the end your the one who will have the 2 year contract so nothing wrong with not wanting the Evo based on the 3d.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Some good things here, thanks! I'm a sad lost Webos puppy, wondering around with a phone on its deathbed. You guys have too many options, and while that's a good thing, it has its downfalls.

I would probably have the 3d already if it didn't have the 3d feature. I'll probably get the Photon, my only fear is that it won't support nearly as many different roms as the 3d would.

Also as for keyboards, I would love a portrait slider, but would never consider a landscape one (I''m not a 13 year old girl).

I never understood why the 3D feature turns people away. It's as simple as not using it. It's not like its presence takes away from the devices functionality.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I never understood why the 3D feature turns people away. It's as simple as not using it. It's not like its presence takes away from the devices functionality.

Because it has two very ugly bulging cameras smack in the middle back of the phone. Out of curiosity I played with one and it's very nice like my Evo but my hand was constantly covering or rubbing the lenses. If I'm going to shell out $200 and keep a phone for a year or two it's got to be pretty, functional, and comfortable.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Because it has two very ugly bulging cameras smack in the middle back of the phone. Out of curiosity I played with one and it's very nice like my Evo but my hand was constantly covering or rubbing the lenses. If I'm going to shell out $200 and keep a phone for a year or two it's got to be pretty, functional, and comfortable.

I guess I never considered how a phone looks in my purchasing decision. Functionality and use was always my basis for purchase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol