Can I buy if I'm not a Sprint Customer?

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
My father wants me to buy him a Photon tomorrow but I'm not a Sprint customer. He's a Sprint customer though and I'll be buying full retail. Do I have to be a Sprint customer to buy the phone? Also, how much does Sprint charge for restocking fees?

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My father wants me to buy him a Photon tomorrow but I'm not a Sprint customer. He's a Sprint customer though and I'll be buying full retail. Do I have to be a Sprint customer to buy the phone? Also, how much does Sprint charge for restocking fees?

If I were you I'd look to buy a new one off of Ebay. You will likely save $100-$150 off the full $549 retail price. This is the only one selling on Ebay right now at the moment with a legit seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-PHOTON...0790756996?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f0c630a84

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
If I were you I'd look to buy a new one off of Ebay. You will likely save $100-$150 off the full $549 retail price. This is the only one selling on Ebay right now at the moment with a legit seller...

Motorola PHOTON 4G - 16GB - Black (Sprint) Smartphone | eBay

I think it would be better if you bought from an online retailer, like amazon or wirefly. for one thing, you won't get charged tax, and it might be cheaper. another reason is added peace of mind knowing you won't get screwed over.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I work for Sprint.. Yeah Yeah I know big deal:). But I do have some insight on your question. You can pay full pop for the phone, thats assuming the rep you work with will sell it to you not being the account holder. Personally I would insist on a phone call to your dad explaining a few things.. One; Permission to make changes to his account (I.E. MRC 10.00 premium data) Two; even though your paying full price, the phone must be activated at the POS meaning his current device will be shut off. Not sure how BB and RS handle these things but BB usually charges much more off contract.

Restocking fee is 35.00 providing the phone is in like new condition within 30 days.

Quarry

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Is there a Sam's Club in your area? They will sell to you without activation.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, BB told me retail off contract was $699. I think dude was smoking crack but that's beside the point.

That actually may be an accurate price. BB routinely adds anywhere from an extra $100 - $200 to the regular no-contract price that Sprint sells it at. For anyone looking to buy off-contract/pay full retail, BB is definitely not the place to do that. An online store like Amazon, Wirefly, or Ebay that will ship the phone unactivated is probably the better bet. Also, in contrast to what the Sprint employee said in this thread (I'm not doubting what he said, I've just had a different experience), I have purchased a phone at full retail price from a corporate Sprint store and walked out with it unactivated. They said they only needed to activate it right then and there if I was signing or renewing a contract. He said their system needs to activate it in order to verify the customer is eligible for the discounted price, which obviously wouldn't apply for someone purchasing at full retail (at least it didn't in my case).