Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pentile screen?

Am I the only one hating on the Pentile screen? I heard rumors or something about it before I got my phone but never gave it much thought... now that I have the phone, its glaringly obvious how terrible it looks.

The screen is just so grainy, pixelated, awful... everything looks checkerboarded.

Picture of Photon screen taken with Evo 4G (notice the checkboard like texture):

Now here is a picture of the Evo 4G screen taken with the Photon (notice the lack of ugly checkerboard texture):

My rendition of Pentile vs NonPentile display (as close to the effect as I could get, to my eyes, almost the exact same).

An ACTUAL picture of the Pentile display taken with Evo 4G. This image has not been photoshopped or edited in anyway.

Default Re: Pentile screen?

Yeah it's pretty bad to my eyes too. Try watching a netflix video and see how grainy the picture is, especially on the skin tones. I watched the same netflix video on my Evo 4g and it didn't have any of those drawbacks.

Yeah... I feel the same. I'm going to give it couple of weeks and if it still bothers me, I'm returning it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I forgot to add that if you turn down the brightness it helps a lot. I have mine turned all the way down and auto brightness disable. Oddly enough it is still very bright.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts

Is this a bug that could be easily fixed with an update or was it made like that?

Quote Originally Posted by kkwus74 View Post
    Is this a bug that could be easily fixed with an update or was it made like that?
    They're made like that. There's been quite a bit of hubub about Moto's Pentile screens. Some hate it, others don't notice a difference. Some notice it but don't really care. I'd say general opinion leans toward being negative though.

ROM
    Stock

I also hate it, but love most of the other stuff. May be a deal-killer for me. Took the 3d back, amid this might meet the same fate.

If they just made it support more colors, it would be fine. Good even.

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Am I the only one hating on the Pentile screen? I heard rumors or something about it before I got my phone but never gave it much thought... now that I have the phone, its glaringly obvious how terrible it looks.

The screen is just so grainy, pixelated, awful... everything looks checkerboarded.

Picture of Photon screen taken with Evo 4G (notice the checkboard like texture):

Now here is a picture of the Evo 4G screen taken with the Photon (notice the lack of ugly checkerboard texture):

Can you take a picture of the same image?

Global Posts
    775 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    They're made like that. There's been quite a bit of hubub about Moto's Pentile screens. Some hate it, others don't notice a difference. Some notice it but don't really care. I'd say general opinion leans toward being negative though.
    Why is it made like that?? It has the same screen as the e3d but that screen looks awesome!

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
    I forgot to add that if you turn down the brightness it helps a lot. I have mine turned all the way down and auto brightness disable. Oddly enough it is still very bright.
    This seems to really help for me, thanks!

I gotta say, I'm REALLY disappointed with the device. The camera is really lacking (color is washed out) video camera doesn't look as good as the NS4G 480P, scrolling in everything is blurry (low refresh rate?), blur seems like they rushed it out (buggy, poor performance).
    Sometimes I'll be using it and say to myself, "holy crap, this thing IS fast" other times I want to take it back on the spot...
    Also, when you remove something from your homescreen in the stock launcher, does it look like the png is corrupt? I've seen this on 2 of them and it drives me nuts.
    Sorry for the rant

Funny enough, I find the screen to be very good. I see absolutely none of the effects you folks are talking about.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something Beta

Quote Originally Posted by kkwus74 View Post
    Why is it made like that?? It has the same screen as the e3d but that screen looks awesome!

Not accurate. They are both qhd (resolution) , but they are different screen technologies.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I think the screen is better then the 3D. I mean sometimes that 3D would give me a headache. However the 3D was better then the 4G(Evo). Maybe I left the 3D on too long. Cause I my eyes would still see it when I went to 2D. The texture of the screen felt funny, I love how smooth the Photon is. But that is not why I return the 3D. It kept dropping my calls & my 3G Internet was going real slow don't know why? Wifi was blazing, but 3G was slacking. I perfer this Screen to the 3D looks OK to me. Going to look closer for these lines y'all talking about to see if I see them.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Funny enough, I find the screen to be very good. I see absolutely none of the effects you folks are talking about.

You may want to have your eyes examined. I'm not being at all sarcastic. I mean that in the most literal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    You may want to have your eyes examined. I'm not being at all sarcastic. I mean that in the most literal sense.
    +1

I agree, screen is great.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

First post but I've lurked on occasion looking for phone info. Currently on a Hero and been looking for an upgrade.

I was at the Sprint store yesterday and they have the Photon next to the Nexus S. I have to agree with Beyondinferno. The screen did not fare well, especially when sitting next to the Nexus s (20/25 in both eyes btw) I saw the weird blurry, stuttering when scrolling and that alone was a deal breaker. I played with it side by side to the Nexus S and it didn't feel that much snappier. I was poised to walk out with one but think I'll wait for the Within.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer View Post
    I've had my eyes checked regularly, thanks, and outside of need reading glasses I'm doing fine. I do think if you research this you'll find that some people see the effects you describe, and some don't. It's likely, as usual, that those who see a defect are more likely to report it than those who don't, thus skewing the comments to the negative.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I've had my eyes checked regularly, thanks, and outside of need reading glasses I'm doing fine. I do think if you research this you'll find that some people see the effects you describe, and some don't. It's likely, as usual, that those who see a defect are more likely to report it than those who don't, thus skewing the comments to the negative.
    I can honestly see how some wouldn't be bothered by this screen. It looks quite good for most stuff. Not great for viewing photos or videos... or I should say that many screens are much better.

The extra resolution makes it quite sharp, but then again, it makes everything smaller.

Some will like it, and some will not. Auto-brightness works far better than the Evo 4G or 3D.

There is some good with the bad, and many will not notice the bad.

I agree. I think this screen looks great.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I was going to add that perhaps it is because I am seeing it with young, fresh eyes, that I am noticing the checkerboard texture on everything, but I was not sure if that was the case so I tested that theory. I showed it to my nearly 60 year old mother, and even with her old eyes (one which has a cataract developing) she remarked "It looks like lots of little dots everywhere, like an old timey newspaper printing."

Also for those of you not seeing it, have you tried setting it to max brightness? That really seems to bring out the pentile grid. Also, how far away do you hold your phone from your eyes? For me I generally keep the phone about 9 inches away when in normal use.

ROM
    Stock

Your 60-year-old mother said "old-timey"?
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
    Your 60-year-old mother said "old-timey"?
    Yes, yes she did.

Here is what the screen should look like:

Here is what the screen does look like (due to Pentile display):

My rendition of Pentile vs NonPentile display (as close to the effect as I could get, to my eyes, almost the exact same).

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Yes, yes she did.

Here is what the screen should look like:

Here is what the screen does look like (due to Pentile display):

So, let's hear from you folks that have it. Is this an accurate representation? This is something that is keeping me from buying this device. And to me, that looks representation looks bad.

Thanks-
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast