I can't be the only one with this Youtube app issue?

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I can only get videos to play on the YouTube app on wifi or 4g, not on 3g...anybody else?

Videos play right away on wifi & 4g, but when on 3g I just get the blue spinner.

Last edited:

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Youtube app issue?

Evidently this is a problem that is affecting some and not all. A quick look at the reviews for the app in the Market shows people having the same issue...must not be a Photon issue, must be something else with the app.

Would my location have anything to do with it?!? I can't see how it would. Odd that it only happens on 3g. Every now and then I get the "Touch To Retry" message, must usually it's just the blue spinner spinning endlessly!

I actually do recall the last couple times I tried to view a YouTube video on my Evo 3d before ditching it for the Photon that I got the "Touch To Retry" error, but I didn't really think of anything then.

Might be the app.

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site

So am I the ONLY one who can't play YouTube videos on 3g?!?

The YouTube app as well as the youtube mobile site won't play any videos on 3g, but both work fine on wifi and 4g.

From the research I've done, it seems like alot of people are having this issue but I haven't seen any other Photon owners yet. Alot of Droid X owners tho.

Strange, but I can watch embedded youtube videos like the videos here on Android Central and they play great, just not in the actual app or the mobile site.

FWIW, I have full bars on 3g.

ANYBODY else?!?!?

aptmx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

So am I the ONLY one who can't play YouTube videos on 3g?!?

The YouTube app as well as the youtube mobile site won't play any videos on 3g, but both work fine on wifi and 4g.

From the research I've done, it seems like alot of people are having this issue but I haven't seen any other Photon owners yet. Alot of Droid X owners tho.

Strange, but I can watch embedded youtube videos like the videos here on Android Central and they play great, just not in the actual app or the mobile site.

FWIW, I have full bars on 3g.

ANYBODY else?!?!?

I had the same issue. Like mentioned above it seems to be a YouTube issue and not a problem with the Photon (I hope)

redbullsc10

May 29, 2011
Visit site
i think its a problem with the app not the photon my buddy's nexus last night would not play youtube videos either so I'm guessing its the app not the phone.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I can only get videos to play on the YouTube app on wifi or 4g, not on 3g...anybody else?

Videos play right away on wifi & 4g, but when on 3g I just get the blue spinner.

Same here. I didn't realize this was an issue until reading aptmx post so I decided to see if the same would happen to me. I only tried w/WiFi on (no 4g signal indoors) & vids played right away. HD quality was amazing. On 3g the vid would eventually begin to play after watching the spinner for about 2 full minutes. Once started, vids will stop playing less than 30 secs in.

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Alright - thanks for the replies guys - nice to know I'm not the only one!

Strange that the Youtube mobile site does it too...more strange that embedded youtube videos like here on AC work fine.

Hopefully a fix is on the way!

byoung766

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. It's some kind of a network issue. I bought my Photon and got my wife a Evo shift at the same time. We are both having this problem. After being on the phone with tech support for 2 hours, they said it is a network problem and they are working on it. So glad I'm being charged extra each month for this:(

mapleleaf14#AC

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Not so sure it's a Sprint network problem (if that's what you meant)...I have friends on Verizon with Droids and also AT&T that are having this problem too. Only my friends with iPhones aren't having any issues.

I was able to get a video to play on 3G about a half hour ago, although it took about a minute to load and even then it didn't play all that great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678