Why I like the Photon better than the Evo 3D

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, such a tough crowd. You guys have to admit that some are having problems with the Photon... me, for example. Maybe I got a lemon?

There are definitely reasons to choose this phone, and there are many for choosing the Evo 3d instead. Just too few for you and me on the latter.

-- Sent from my MoPho using Tapatalk

I think part of the problem is that the people act like the Evo 3D hasn't had its share of problems.

I own neither phone, upgrade date is 9/1/11, so been researching both phones. Been following both forums, and they both pretty much looked the same in the first week or 2 or release, nothing but problem threads. That seems pretty standard for a new phone.

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think part of the problem is that the people act like the Evo 3D hasn't had its share of problems.

I own neither phone, upgrade date is 9/1/11, so been researching both phones. Been following both forums, and they both pretty much looked the same in the first week or 2 or release, nothing but problem threads. That seems pretty standard for a new phone.

Very true. People forget that the original Evo had a ton of problems early on, too, that were eventually fixed via updates. The 3vo has already had two, but it's almost 2 months out from release. The Photon is barely two weeks old. Problems will arise, updates will come, and people will forget.

I'm also researching both phones, and almost feel like I've hit info overload. I no longer worry about the problems of each, but instead look at the features and potential of each phone. Will the MoPho ever get an unlocked bootloader for custom roms? Will root be achieved without requiring a (admittedly nice) $100 accessory? How much support will it see down the road from Motorola with updates? Will the 3vo's Snapdragon feel long in the tooth by the end of the year? That kind of thing. :)

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that says the photon has a better screen than the 3D is clearly on some type of drug lol.

I would have to disagree with that. I played with both for a long time in the store. I thought the Photon was much better.

I also disagree with those who say the 3d is horrible. Spec wise they are pretty similar. It's just a matter of preference.

Sent from my Photon

dominiej

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that says the photon has a better screen than the 3D is clearly on some type of drug lol.

Drug free here and I say Photon has a better screen than the Evo 3D. My personal experience is testament. HTC's decision to go with a different sized screen that is incompatible with a lot of apps is a huge problem.

The Evo 3D's aspect ratio is 16:9, which make some apps behave horribly. I had a second touch Facebook app for my second facebook account and it would only display in the upper 2/3s of the screen. The Mega Jump game I loved had a 1/2 inch black strip down the right side. NOT subjective - the screen was a big problem with the experience.

Oh, and the gimmacky 3D? Yeah that lasted about 20 seconds and then began to hurt your eyes.

The Photon's 4:3 aspect ratio is what most apps are designed for since that is what most Android phones have.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I like number 7 "stick to facts". Yet he just touted a bunch of opinions and a sampling pool of only himself. Way to preach their bud.
Wrong, not preaching at all. Just adding some balance and perspective to the discourse. Some people here just shriek hysterically and make grand generalizations about a whole line based on their negative experiences with one or two units. There are complaint threads and posts in this forum. Does that mean that the whole photon line has bad build quality? Of course not, it would be irrational to think that.

Read the post, not once did I call the 3D better or suggest any photon owner should get one. Didn't criticize anyone for choosing the photon unlike some photon owners who make it sound like anyone who chooses the EVO 3D is a moron.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I must differ from you on this.. The Evo3d is a horrible choice for a phone. When you compare even the HTC EVO and the Photon with the 3d both phones come out better. The evo3d speaker sounds so distorted and small its ridiculous. Compare that along with the poor reception of 4g and 3g which are KNOWN problems with the 3d there is no comparison especially with the the call and audio quality. Its kind of a moot point to compare the 3d with the Photon because the Photon will never sale as much as the HTC EVO line because of HTC's head start on Sprint. Just like the EVO is better than the Iphone4 but most would disagree because the masses own the Iphone4. You should check the Photon out man the phone is the best phone ever in my opinion.

‪Motorola Photon vs HTC Evo 3D‬‏ - YouTube
you post a link to a video that you feel bolsters your assertion that the EVO 3D is trash and yet while he gives the photon a slight win, he states at least twice that both phones are top of the line and that you couldn't go wrong either way. Guess you didn't hear that part, somehow I'm not surprised. :D :D people like you only hear what they want, the parts that are favorable to their views.

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Wrong, not preaching at all. Just adding some balance and perspective to the discourse. Some people here just shriek hysterically and make grand generalizations about a whole line based on their negative experiences with one or two units. There are complaint threads and posts in this forum. Does that mean that the whole photon line has bad build quality? Of course not, it would be irrational to think that.

Read the post, not once did I call the 3D better or suggest any photon owner should get one. Didn't criticize anyone for choosing the photon unlike some photon owners who make it sound like anyone who chooses the EVO 3D is a moron.

Fair enough. But you can't tell people to stick to the facts and then state you were only adding perspective and not expect to get called out. Just saying :)

Brownhornet, I think the screen is much better but not because the picture is clearer but because it brighter. The nexus s screen was a nice improvement over te EVO 4g but man this MoPho is AWESOME in sunlight.

drjerry#AC

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The Photon might be good in direct sunlight...but with my EVO 3D I can make and receive phone calls! Look at the forums thread about the problems most people are having with their Photon! They are constantly needing to be rebooted and they cannot make or receive phone calls!

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
The Photon might be good in direct sunlight...but with my EVO 3D I can make and receive phone calls! Look at the forums thread about the problems most people are having with their Photon! They are constantly needing to be rebooted and they cannot make or receive phone calls!

Couple people have the silent call bug. Every single head to head review says signal strength and call quality on Photon Blows away the 3VO, so pretty dumb coming here crowing about that.

drjerry#AC

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
"couple people"?? Try A LOT of people. I'm not "crowing"...in fact...I have the 3D and the wife has the Photon. I really like the phone...I just prefer the screen on the 3D. Both phones have issues...weaknesses and their strengths. It all comes down to personal preference.
Call quality and signal strenth mean squat when you can't make or recieve a call! It isn't an isolated issue...I suggest you read the threads here on the Photon...quite a few people have the issue and they are on their 2nd or 3rd replacement phone. Luckily, my wife's phone doesn't seem to have that issue...she is running it without any apps installed.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
"couple people"?? Try A LOT of people. I'm not "crowing"...in fact...I have the 3D and the wife has the Photon. I really like the phone...I just prefer the screen on the 3D. Both phones have issues...weaknesses and their strengths. It all comes down to personal preference.
Call quality and signal strenth mean squat when you can't make or recieve a call! It isn't an isolated issue...I suggest you read the threads here on the Photon...quite a few people have the issue and they are on their 2nd or 3rd replacement phone. Luckily, my wife's phone doesn't seem to have that issue...she is running it without any apps installed.

I have followed both phones since they came out, the forums for both and both forums were litered with people who were having problems. It happens with pretty much every phone. I have read the forums thanks and a few people are having problems, you make it like its universal.

Posts like yours "haha it doesn't make calls, my EVO 3D does and is GREAT!" are not constructive and a waste of time. I will never understand the children like you who come on other phones forums to brag about their phone and rip on others. If Photon users are actually having problems, you are adding nothing.

And I own neither phone, will end up getting one and am still deciding. I consider myself impartial and have closely followed the release of both and have seen many issues for both, which is typical.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Thats funny you say that since all 3 of my Evo 3Dswas couldnt maintain a standard signal without roaming. Not to mention people not even being able to clearly understand me when calls actually go through.

Did i mention I havent had any of the call problems talked about in the forums with my Photon?

bcoutlander

May 15, 2010
Visit site
After having both phones for about 8 days side by side I decided to keep the Photon and returned the Evo 3d.

The reasons I went with the Photon were: better battery life, better screen outside, better reception and sound quality.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

So far with my MoPho i have had none of these problems. No audio issues or signal issues and no need to reboot so far. But seriously why are you being so adamint on try to prove something you don't own is faulty? We get your point about not liking the phone and while you are entitled to your own opinion your are noot entitled to your own facts so why push them so hard as such?

Good luck with the rest of your life ;)

drjerry#AC

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So far with my MoPho i have had none of these problems. No audio issues or signal issues and no need to reboot so far. But seriously why are you being so adamint on try to prove something you don't own is faulty? We get your point about not liking the phone and while you are entitled to your own opinion your are noot entitled to your own facts so why push them so hard as such?

Good luck with the rest of your life ;)

Actually, I'm making a point. When I read through the forums...it seems that whomever owns a 3D is an idiot because the Photon is SO much better. It isn't. I have the 3D, the wife has the Photon. Both are good phones...with problems unique to each. One isn't BETTER than the other...it really comes down to opinion and preference. I like the Photon a lot..better signal and speakerphone than my 3D. I just prefer the screen on the 3D better. My wife likes the screen on the Photon better..but likes the Sense weather.
The point is both phones have flaws...and one isn't an IDIOT because they chose one over the other. They are both good phones...this week anyway...until something better comes out!

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I'm making a point. When I read through the forums...it seems that whomever owns a 3D is an idiot because the Photon is SO much better. It isn't. I have the 3D, the wife has the Photon. Both are good phones...with problems unique to each. One isn't BETTER than the other...it really comes down to opinion and preference. I like the Photon a lot..better signal and speakerphone than my 3D. I just prefer the screen on the 3D better. My wife likes the screen on the Photon better..but likes the Sense weather.
The point is both phones have flaws...and one isn't an IDIOT because they chose one over the other. They are both good phones...this week anyway...until something better comes out!

Can't argue with that.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
When I read through the forums...it seems that whomever owns a 3D is an idiot because the Photon is SO much better. It isn't.

You're too sensitive. I haven't seen any posts like that here, and I've read nearly every post in this forum. The 3D forum, on the other hand, has one that borders on what you're saying, from the opposite angle. ;) And I've seen several in here who claim anyone who finds the Photon screen acceptable is either blind or on drugs, but haven't seen it portrayed the other way. Ha.

I tried both phones, and both went back in the end. The Photon more fit my needs and desires, but it had issues I couldn't get around that not everyone is experiencing. Every phone has its pros and cons. And it's silly to get all worked up about it.

Enjoy your phone. I don't think anyone here will mind in the least.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
You guys crack me up.. Some people defend their phones like its their baby.. And in a year will have something new so whats the point.. There are pluses and minuses to both... I mean on the 3d I hate the speaker.. Period... Battery could be better but its good enough.. Not like the og evo, but people that are never around a plug I could see why they may need something else... Other then that I dont really have any issues.. Call quality is unique to each person because I dont have signal issues or dropped calls as EMT said.. Played with the Photon and it seems pretty cool but i cant stand blur its disgusting to look at and has nowhere near the functionality of sense 3.0... The screen has that screen door effect which im not a fan of... But other then that it seems fine.. It does seem as if some are just here to bash the evo to justify their purchase.. Like the guy that said dont trust an IOS fanboi.. What the he11 does that have to do with him comparing 2 android devices.. Wouldnt that make him even more nuetral.. LMAO.. Anyway thats all I had to say.. Carry on..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair