1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Photon Bluetooth Car Connection Problem Confirmed At Sprint Store

UPDATE 2: SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR UCONNECT RADIOS FIXED PROBLEM

If you are having problems with Photon bluetooth connections to a Uconnect radio system and you're not sure if your radio software is the latest version, you can check it here and burn a software update on a CD and install it yourself for free following the detailed directions for your particular radio on this site:

Fixed my problems!

2009 Dodge Journey using Uconnect system with MyGiG Navigation.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE: Exchanged Photon for brand new one at sprint store. Tried bluetooth calls as soon as activated, even before install of gmail account and all my applications. SAME problem re-occurs as discussed below. That's three different photons that do not play nice with my car. I am going to wait for a maintenance release before my 30 days is up, and if that does no fix issue, return Photon.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    2009 Dodge Journey using Uconnect system with MyGiG, DVD and NAV.

My Photon pairs with the car no problem, and connects when in range. But bluetooth calls are either not made or dropped, and there is no audio on the Photon if the bluetooth call is dropped. This problem was replicated at the Sprint Store by the Sprint Rep in my car. SR paired and connected their Demo unit Photon and had the same issues.

Sprint rep says there are no known bluetooth issues, wait for Motorola to do a maintenance release or maybe that the Photon simply is not compatible with my car.

Dodge dealer says there are no firmware updates for Journey bluetooth or any known issues with Motorola phones in general and advises to wait for Motorola to update their software.

I also have had the no-audio issue during non-bluetooth calls others have experienced. Sprint rep re-activated my Photon, and said Sprint had provisioning issues when my phone was purchased last Sunday, July 31st. We'll see if that occurs again anyhow! I wonder if these are related issues!
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 08-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Photon Bluetooth Car Connection Problem Confirmed At Sprint S

So far I haven't seen any of these issues on my Photon. Pairs with my Infiniti G37 just fine, and has worked perfectly through a number of long calls. And, it's been the most rock-solid phone in general for me in some time (much better call quality and reliability than my Epic, for sure).

So, I'm thinking this might be a hardware-related issue, as opposed to software... The crowd seems to be mixed between people with LOTS of call issues and people with absolutely none...

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Phone works fine on uConnect in my 2010 Challenger... I am guessing its the same system, Hard Drive, Nav, MP3, BT... I would think about exchanging it...

Do you have another phone to try out (not a photon). Its very possible the BT radio on the actual head unit could be bad. Both items are under warranty. If you can, try the HTC as they use a proprietary BT stack. Try to narrow it down to the phone or radio and proceed from there.

Good luck
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by zeropcs View Post
    Phone works fine on uConnect in my 2010 Challenger... I am guessing its the same system, Hard Drive, Nav, MP3, BT... I would think about exchanging it...
    I do have the Nav, Hard Drive, and also the Rear DVD Player system. Do you have the 6 disc dvd player unit?

I'll try to exchange it probably.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Do you have another phone to try out (not a photon). Its very possible the BT radio on the actual head unit could be bad. Both items are under warranty. If you can, try the HTC as they use a proprietary BT stack. Try to narrow it down to the phone or radio and proceed from there.

Good luck
    I had been using my car bluetooth with my HTC Evo and my Palm Centro before that, and it worked flawlessly with those phones. It seems to be a Photon issue of some sort.

restart the phone. Then start the car and pair. Should be no problem
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    restart the phone. Then start the car and pair. Should be no problem
    Just did exactly that, deleted pairings on phone and car. Then restarted phone. Then restarted car and paired. Worked for one short test call out. Then, all the same issues reoccurred.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    I do have the Nav, Hard Drive, and also the Rear DVD Player system. Do you have the 6 disc dvd player unit?

I'll try to exchange it probably.
    The challenger doesnt really offer a back seat, well it has one but its really just for show, so no dvd for me... But it has every option on it that makes sense for the car...

If you have had other phones work fine with the device, and my Photon works fine with my uConnect then I would assume that its your handsets BT... Did you hard reset the phone and try with nothing installed yet? There might be an application conflict... I had all sorts of BT issues on my EVO the 2 days I ran advanced task killer, removing that solved the issue...

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    UPDATE: Exchanged Photon for brand new one at sprint store. Tried bluetooth calls as soon as activated, even before install of gmail account and all my applications. SAME problem re-occurs as discussed below. That's three different photons that do not play nice with my car. I am going to wait for a maintenance release before my 30 days is up, and if that does no fix issue, return Photon.
    Contact Chrysler and see if there is an update for your uConnect...
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by zeropcs View Post
    Contact Chrysler and see if there is an update for your uConnect...
    You are correct Sir! See my update to the original post above. Called dealer, and they had no idea, but I found this myself online and installed to my Journey the other night. My version of the software was very old. Now, Uconnect and Photon play nice!

Fixed my problems!

2009 Dodge Journey using Uconnect system with MyGiG Navigation.

You should update the op.