Photon Rattle

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I would call this an issue. If you have to hold right by your ear and shake it to hear something.

Sent from my Photon

Actually, looking into it further, I can hear mine rattle at arm's length in a non-quiet room. As I mentioned earlier, it's not a big deal if it's simply the way the phone is designed. My only concern is whether or not it reflects a defect that will eventually cause something to fail (although, it is kind of annoying).

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I tend not to shake my phone so much.

What's your point? I don't either, but then that's not really the issue, is it? Indeed, it's the fact that I don't shake my phone to an unusual degree, and yet hear this rattling sound, that compelled me to post in this thread. In fact, I didn't even notice it myself the first time--my wife did, asking me "What's that noise your phone's making? Is it supposed to do that?"

The question that I and some others would like cleared up is: does this denote a defect that might influence the long-term reliability of the phone, or is it just the way the phone is designed? Because, you know, devices like this aren't typically SUPPOSED to make rattling noises. Rattling noises mean loose parts, and there really shouldn't be any.

I do NOT understand people on forums. If someone asks a question, why not just answer the question being asked? What's the value in chiming in with unhelpful comments?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
So, I can get it to make a very tiny noise, but there's no way another person would have asked me about it. Do you live in a museum? Does your wife have extraordinary hearing? Unless you answered yes to both of those, and given you don't shake the phone in an unusual way, it sounds like your phone has much worse rattle than mine.

Go back to where ever you bought it and try another one. Then trade your defective one in for a better unit.

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
In all fairness I noticed mine when haptic feedback was turned on for the kb. I also noticed it the first few times I turned on the camera. And yes it stops when i turn on the camera.

However there is no need for museum or the wife with super hearing comment IMHO.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am not trying to insult you or anyone else. I am saying that I don't believe a person standing near me would EVER notice the tiny sound that I can hear if I put the phone next to my ear and shake it just right.

Humor and colorful language can be tricky on the internet. Sorry.

Last edited:

scoobdude

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not trying to insult you or anyone else. I am saying that I don't believe a person standing near me would EVER notice the tiny sound that I can hear if I put the phone next to my ear and shake it just right.

Humor and colorful language can be tricky on the internet. Sorry.

Meh... I am just getting old and probably grumpy. No offense taken. :)

P.s. my wife does have super hearing as she eavesdrops on me all the time.... but I think it gets garbled on the way to the brain cause the stuff she thinks I said.... :p

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Meh... I am just getting old and probably grumpy. No offense taken. :)

P.s. my wife does have super hearing as she eavesdrops on me all the time.... but I think it gets garbled on the way to the brain cause the stuff she thinks I said.... :p

$50 and I won't tell your wife what you just posted....

Sent from my Apple Iphone Epic 4g onboard the NCC1701F...

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think I've pretty much confirmed what I wanted: that is, that the problem is common enough to likely apply to all Photons. Therefore, it's either a defect in every unit or simply the way it's designed. Ergo, no reason to swap for another one, because it's likely to have it as well.

andoman

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine rattles, I took the back off and gently shook it. I saw the battery wiggle/slide and produce the noise.

I agree with this statement, because i didn't seat the battery cover all the way once and it did produce a rattling sound. Also if you look at the cover it has a padded strip to hold the battery snug so i could see that pad not being enough in some cases. I had an old nextel that i had to fold a piece of paper to hold the battery i n place better.

Czech_Pleaz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the fix is to stop shaking the device. :) Seriously. It's a mobile computer-camera-phone-calculator-messaging-email-social-networking machine. There are small parts inside. They may not all fit like Japanese joinery but I assure you the device is well engineered and well made.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the fix is to stop shaking the device. :) Seriously. It's a mobile computer-camera-phone-calculator-messaging-email-social-networking machine. There are small parts inside. They may not all fit like Japanese joinery but I assure you the device is well engineered and well made.

Well, other than it being a bit annoying (mine does it in normal use, such as when putting the phone to my ear to make a call; the "shaking" part is only for testing), the biggest concern is whether it indicates a defect that will cause problems later. Really, a device like this shouldn't have loose parts. It's not a huge deal, but neither is it insignificant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad