Moto Photon - Single Core?!?!

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Long time reader, first time poster. Picked up the Photon on Friday and liking it so far. I attempted to run the Quadrant standard test from the market place. I ran a couple of tests (2220, 2440). I took a look at the "System Information" it only lists 1 core. Additionally when I ran "Android System Info" and look at the System > CPU menu, there is nothing that hints to a second core. additionally, the CPU has been running at 1,000 MHZ 28% of the time. Anyone else willing to try to replicate? If so, please post your results. I've been disappointed with the battery life and this might be a cause of it. Anyone know of any other way to check to see if the proc is running both cores?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
From what I can remember quadrant is only designed for one core. Same thing happens on all dual core phones

Also for battery life issue go to settings and check battery usage. My batt dies fast when constant web browsing/downloads our playing lots of games. But still way better then the epic. You should be able to last a day with medium use. Also in network setting place it on cdma only. I have issues when it is set to automatic with phone call sounds dropping.

also the batt could be crap too. That happens sometimes too

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
From what I can remember quadrant is only designed for one core. Same thing happens on all dual core phones

Also for battery life issue go to settings and check battery usage. My batt dies fast when constant web browsing/downloads our playing lots of games. But still way better then the epic. You should be able to last a day with medium use. Also in network setting place it on cdma only. I have issues when it is set to automatic with phone call sounds dropping.

also the batt could be crap too. That happens sometimes too
I had a feeling it might be an application problem. Read something online that Quadrant will show 2 cores after the app is restarted on the Samsung Galaxy S2. I'd like to find another app that can give me the proc information. Between running warm (with nothing going on), below average battery, and some of the other things I saw, a busted core could have been a problem.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I had a feeling it might be an application problem. Read something online that Quadrant will show 2 cores after the app is restarted on the Samsung Galaxy S2. I'd like to find another app that can give me the proc information. Between running warm (with nothing going on), below average battery, and some of the other things I saw, a busted core could have been a problem.
you know that could be possible. i have been very fortunate with all my android phone purchases that i never have had a problem with a phone or had to take it back. they've just worked.

that being said who knows what can happen to a phone while on the production line, being handled, or being shipping. Crap happens unfortunately. if you still have issues i would take it in and get it replaced.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
you know that could be possible. i have been very fortunate with all my android phone purchases that i never have had a problem with a phone or had to take it back. they've just worked.

that being said who knows what can happen to a phone while on the production line, being handled, or being shipping. Crap happens unfortunately. if you still have issues i would take it in and get it replaced.

Ditto.
My bro had a Palm Pre and cracked the top right. I then gave him mine and the microphone started dieing. His 3rd phone, a BB Style, I had him pay on his own; he was up for a 2yr renewal. To this day, the phone looks brand new.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I was just hoping someone might be able to run the same test and confirm if they see the same things I am. Its certainly possible something happened in manufacturing, packaging, shipping, etc that could result in a dropped core. I'm pretty happy with the phone outside of the heat/battery issues. Was hoping that would clear up after Android does its thing, but a few days in and its not getting much better.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I ran quadrant and in system info I says clear as day I have 2 cores.
Surprisingly mine says it has 2 cores now, but it seems like at times it goes back to 1. I'm sure the phone uses some sort of power management to use the second core when necessary. Thanks for running that.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Download the use SystemPanel. You can graphically see both cores and yes the 2nd one is only used when called upon. If you look at the device stats you'll see the processor, the "real name" of the unit (Moto_sunfire), build date and CPUs. Shows 2 cores present and working, along with min and max clock speeds.

And for those of use that came from Evos, it'll be quickly obvious why the MoFo is faster on all facets.

bj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12