Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Question HD Web Dock

has anyone bought this?

is it worth the 100$?

What are the main features?

I was gonna look at one but my local sprint didn't have it in stock

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Default Re: HD Web Dock

I bought the hd station and finally got the chance to use. I love it! I love the fact I can connect it to my tv and it mirrors everything. I had the HTC EVO 4G prior to the Photon and always wished I could do everything I was able to without beeing rooted. So, when I connected the hd station and Photon I was just amazed. I tried it with the game emulators with my wii controller, and just reliving street fighter II on the big screen was awesome. I also tried angry birds, and again it was awesome seening the birds flying across my tv screen. I also tried watching a few movies and again, awesome! Maybe I was a little to excited since I never rooted my HTC EVO 4G and wasn't able to do all of these awesome things. But knowing that I am now able to do everything I wanted to do with my EVO with my Photon and not have to be rooted, yeah, I can say the hd station was worth the extra $100.

you can do everything you just described with a $7 hdmi cable off ebay.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

The HD Dock's main feature is webtop mode.

I used it on the Atrix, and it was too slow to be enjoyable. Google Docs didn't work that good in it.
    But for some light browsing on the tv, it might do the trick.
    Grand Tech

Global Posts
    1,243 Global Posts

The webtop mode definitely seemed too slow for me when I was playing with in at my local Sprint Store.

I have the web dock and it doesn't seem slow at all. I was playing a slideshow from my friend's wedding site. It streamed just fine and played the music without skipping... and buffered quick. I also had FB open and was making a call to my sister all at the same time. I was running off of the 4G and not Wi-fi btw. I think it is worth it. I had the EVO and think the docking station was missing some key features the Photon is able to do.
    Thanked by:
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

Its awesome that Sprint isnt charging a tether fee like ATT does to use the webtop.
    Banned

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

The best feature of the dock is it uses fire fox 5 full browser to surf the net. I would only recommend it if you use a bluetooth or wireless keyboard with it. The dock has usb plug in btw.
    Banned

Reasons why to get the dock:
    Full desktop version of Firefox (hacks and mods to get site like Hulu working are no longer needed)
    Full version of Google Docs via Firefox
    Wireless remote (comes in the box)
    USB keyboards and mice (unverified but some wireless combo's are reported to work)
    FAT formatted external mass storage devices like hard drives and flash drives (I'm using mine for media and archiving nandroid backups)

Future advantages of the HD dock:

(In development) Multi format media card readers
    (Looking into it) CD/DVD drive support
    (Looking into it) 10/100/1000 USB dongles
    (Looking into it) External HDMI touchscreens
    (Looking into it) USB media playback controllers
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Whatever suits me

I was told at the store that Netflix won't stream from the phone to the TV directly. The dock appears as a computer to Netflix and lets it stream. I don't have Netflix so I cannot verify.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsx968 View Post
    I was told at the store that Netflix won't stream from the phone to the TV directly. The dock appears as a computer to Netflix and lets it stream. I don't have Netflix so I cannot verify.
    The store is wrong. If you can see it on the phone's screen you can output it to a TV/Monitor.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

Netflix works great on my TV using the HDMI out.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Can anyone with the HD station chime in and let me know what they feel it offers over just using the phone upside-down on the kickstand with an HDMI to the TV and charging. I'm off to the Sprint store to get the car dock and I know if I add the HD station I get 25% off on both. That would make the HD station $60 extra since I was commited to pay $60 for the car dock alone. Just deciding if the HD Station is worth it than just using an HDMI cord to my tv.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mgiven View Post
    Can anyone with the HD station chime in and let me know what they feel it offers over just using the phone upside-down on the kickstand with an HDMI to the TV and charging. I'm off to the Sprint store to get the car dock and I know if I add the HD station I get 25% off on both. That would make the HD station $60 extra since I was commited to pay $60 for the car dock alone. Just deciding if the HD Station is worth it than just using an HDMI cord to my tv.
    Check my post about HD Dock features.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I caved and bought them both...$120 + tax after the premier 25% off, so it was like getting the HD Station for only $60. A very cool toy for sure and works well. I'm traveling this week and using a wireless keyboard and mouse right now on just my phone sitting in the dock as a display and fine for emailing. The Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo at Staples was $49 on sale for $29 - $10 coupon I had = $19 so can't go wrong. Didn't know if the HD Station would recognize the hardware since the back of the box says "requires Windows" and "must install drivers through CD" but works just fine. No need for expensive Motorola bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

The car dock just plain rocks! We just drove 9 hours overnight and I more than kicked the tires. Added and tried Pandora, LastFM, Sprint Navigation, MOG and Spotify and all work perfectly in the cool UI car dock mode. Even more impressive was I could run run internet radio, navigation and web browsing all at the same time and not only did my phone still charge up to 100% and stay there the duration of the trip, but the extra USB port on the plug kept my wife's phone charged as well. NICE!
    snrfn93 likes this.

Question Re: HD Web Dock

Are you saying that whatever is on the screen of the Photon will be transferred to an HD TV by using a mini to HDMI cable? So, for example, I could use this to display a power point presentation, a pdf document or a web page?

Quote Originally Posted by DenDiMarco View Post
    Are you saying that whatever is on the screen of the Photon will be transferred to an HD TV by using a mini to HDMI cable? So, for example, I could use this to display a power point presentation, a pdf document or a web page?
    That's correct. The Photon has full HDMI mirroring. Whatever u see on ur phone will appear on the screen, however, u have to be in landscape mode to fill ur TV screen.
    Thanked by:

Thumbs up Re: HD Web Dock

Thanks, Airwolf - - - That good to hear!

Thanks, Airwolf - - - That good to hear!
    U got it. Its an awesome feature that every smartphone should have IMO.

I received the cable today and tried it out on a 32 LCD flat panel. As you said a horizonal display works best. I did notice that the resolution looks low on the TV screen. I suppose the pixel count on the phone is just too low to translate well to a large screen.

Or is there some setting or action I can take to smooth the TV image?

Help!!!
    Can anyone please email me the stock xorg.conf file from their photon? I altered mine and now i cant use my hdmi port. J.hunter1988.jh@gmail.com

I received the cable today and tried it out on a 32 LCD flat panel. As you said a horizonal display works best. I did notice that the resolution looks low on the TV screen. I suppose the pixel count on the phone is just too low to translate well to a large screen.

Or is there some setting or action I can take to smooth the TV image?
    U can alter the xorg.conf file to maximize output to 1920x1080. Look it up on the xda website. Also u dont have to pay for the hd dock. If your photon is rooted go to market and find nebtop. Ot costs 3.22 and does the exact same thing only thing u need is the hdmi cable. If you know how can u email me a stock copy of your xorg.conf i messed mine up and now i cant use my hdmi port. The path os /osh/etc/x11/xorg.conf my email is j.hunter1988.jh@gmail.com

Thanks for that info. I'll see if I can find the reference you suggested.

Sorry to hear about your file. That makes me worry a little about trying this on my file!

I'd be happy to send you my default file if you would give me instructions on how to locate it and send it.

Sorry. I see you have given me the necessary info.

Hmm. To try to find that configuration file I connected the photon to a computer USB port. The path you provided does not exist. I searched for xorg.conf but WIndows did not find it.

Does the USB connection not show phone system files?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast