Ringtone issue!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My dad got a Moto Photon 4g the day after it came out and everything was alright until one day one of his contact called and the default ringtone came out instead of the custom one he assigned it. He did everything from pulling out the battery for a while, factory reset and also he took it to Sprint and they verified it and also did a factory reset and none of those things worked, so at the they gave him a new one but the problem still persists. Does anybody now any fix or if Motorola has an update on the way to fix it? Just in case, everything is stock. Any help would be grateful.

EDIT: Theres a possible fix to this problem, I'm going to try it to see if it works. The post is the last one here that I wrote.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
My dad got a Moto Photon 4g the day after it came out and everything was alright until one day one of his contact called and the default ringtone came out instead of the custom one he assigned it. He did everything from pulling out the battery for a while, factory reset and also he took it to Sprint and they verified it and also did a factory reset and none of those things worked, so at the they gave him a new one but the problem still persists. Does anybody now any fix or if Motorola has an update on the way to fix it? Just in case, everything is stock. Any help would be grateful.

I've had the same thing happen. I just reassigned the ringtone to the contact. Are you saying none of you were able to do that or is the ringtone missing from the phone?

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen. I just reassigned the ringtone to the contact. Are you saying none of you were able to do that or is the ringtone missing from the phone?

I basically moved all ringtone that my dad made or had to the sdcard-ext/media/audio/ringtones, they all appear and work when one is setting them but when someone calls(obviously with a custom ringtone already set) over 80%-90% of the times the default ringtone sounds instead of the custom one set to that contact.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
After assigning the ringtone, are you hitting the back button or the home button? On mine, after assigning, I have to hit the back button for it to stick. Hitting the home button after assigning reverts the ringtone back to default.

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
After assigning the ringtone, are you hitting the back button or the home button? On mine, after assigning, I have to hit the back button for it to stick. Hitting the home button after assigning reverts the ringtone back to default.

Yes, I did hit the back button and to be sure I checked the option again to see if it was set. Also when I did test calls from 2 different phones, like 2 out of 7 times the custom ringtone sounded, the rest was the default ringtone. And the thing is that this is the only problem that my dad encountered.

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my Photon and if I must have a problem with it, I hope it is this one! :p

In my case I also wouldn't mind, anyway I got a Evo 3D...but the phone in question is my dad's, and he likes to put custom ringtone to his contacts. But it's a little annoying to find that a $200 phone have these kind of problems.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree. But have you done a hard reset? I know its a pain but sometimes at first boot, things can get a little screwy. That's why most power users do a hard reset of the device before they ever turn it on.

To do a hard reset follow these instructions:

Power off the phone, press and hold volume down button, press power button
Screen will come up with "Fastboot", press Vol down key to cycle through choices until you get "Android Recovery", then press Vol up key
Wait for the "triangle ! / Android" screen then go on to step 4
Press both Vol up and Vol down key simultaneously. A menu will come up
Tap on Vol down key until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted, and tap Power key. Another Confirmation screen will come. Tap on Vol down key until coming to Yes and tap Power key
After userdata is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Tap Power key
Phone will reboot to initial setup screen.

This method doesn't just wipe it clean, it restores it to actual factory fresh condition as if the phone has never been turned on. You can try this if you want and it might help.

Last edited:

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree. But have you done a hard reset? I know its a pain but sometimes at first boot, things can get a little screwy. That's why most power users do a hard reset of the device before they ever turn it on.

To do a hard reset follow these instructions:

Power off the phone, press and hold volume down button, press power button
Screen will come up with "Fastboot", press Vol down key to cycle through choices until you get "Android Recovery", then press Vol up key
Wait for the "triangle ! / Android" screen then go on to step 4
Press both Vol up and Vol down key simultaneously. A menu will come up
Tap on Vol down key until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted, and tap Power key. Another Confirmation screen will come. Tap on Vol down key until coming to Yes and tap Power key
After userdata is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Tap Power key
Phone will reboot to initial setup screen.

This method doesn't just wipe it clean, it restores it to actual factory fresh condition as if the phone has never been turned on. You can try this if you want and it might help.

thanks for the tip but my dad did a factory reset and didnt work, then sprint did another "different" factory reset and didnt work, then they gave him a fresh new phone(the same photon 4g) and still it didnt work :( ...and the weird part is that my mom has the same phone and none of this happens to her.

Last edited:

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ringtone issue!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! (UPDATE: FIX)

I believe I found what could be causing the problem. A guy over then motorola forums told me that if the ringtones was on the sdcard and that sdcard is maybe damaged or was from a older phone that could cause this issue.

What I'm gonna do is move the ringtones to the internal memory(or sdcard as it appears in the phone) to see if that helps because he also said that it could help to move it to the internal memory. I'm also going to format the sdcard with the phone, he told me that could also work.

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE DISCUSSION:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/447087#447087

WillieDC-30

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
is there a ringtone app that has ringtones that dont keep cycling and cycling. I want one that just plays the ringtone once and it is done not over and over.

DenDiMarco

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
My Motorola Photon ringtone issue is even more basic, but possibly related.

My phone "ringtone" currently reads out the calling phone number or associated name. I wanted to change the ringtone to something musical. But my attempt to do so has not worked. So I'm wondering if my procedure should be different or if my phone has a defect in the software.

Here's the procedure I followed:

1. Select the lower right "triple square" for "All apps"
  2. Select "Settings"
  3. Select "Sound"
  4. Under "Incoming calls" select "Phone ringtone"
  5. Select "Midieval jaunt"
  6. At the bottom, select "OK"
  7. This brings me back to the "Sound settings" screen where I select the "Return" button.
  8. This brings me to the "Settings" screen where I again select the "Return button"
  9. Ths brings me to the "All apps" screen where I again select the "Return button".

I then call the phone from my land line and hear, not the music, but the repeating phase, "Call from Dennis DiMarco".

Should I be doing something different?

Thanks and regards.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind is when you put a ringtone on an SD card, or in this case even internal storage, if you are mounted to something such as a PC, you've unmounted the storage location from the phone in order to mount it to the device. This would result in the phone being unable to locate the assigned ringtone and would fall back to default ringtone.

If this is not the case there could be a bug with the moto software. I'm using the 10-2 SBF but I don't use this feature, assigning ringtones, so I can't tell you if the new builds fix it. You may consider flashing the newest SBF and seeing if the issue still occurs. That is assuming you've already ruled out the mounting storage i mentioned above.

Cheers!

DenDiMarco

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense.

I tried it and that worked. Thank you.

For future reference: Is there a comprehensive manual that explains most of (if not all) of the various settigns and nuances for this phone. I think I need to spend some time there! :)

DenDiMarco

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
O Jeez! I found the detailed guideline reference. How embarrasingly easy!
:-[

For others who may need this obvious info:

1. Home
2. Triple square (Apps)
3. Help Center
4. Tap tab for "Guides"

There may be an easier way to get there, but this is one way.

Reactions: Puzzlegal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674