4G and Signal

tobemeabc

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that while connected with 4G that your signal is may be two bars at best. I have been missing calls and going to roaming mode because of this. As soon as I turn 4G off I get full bars. Add to the problems that this phone has.

On a side note, the wifi keeps messing up the router. I have turned of the sleep mode option but still need to test.

taurtex

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on the area of town you're in. At home I get crappy 4G 2 bar reception, off I get full 3G reception. At the gym 2 miles away I get full 4G reception.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I usually get 4 bars when I have 4G turned on. I can take a screen shot fo you later today.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have 4G coverage about 2 miles east of me as the crow flies, and whenever I get into that area (which isn't often; that's closer to LA, and I tend not to go in that direction if I can help it) I give 4G a try just for kicks. On the Photon, I get great 4G coverage (probably better than my Epic did) and performance seemed decent enough: around 10Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up. Not LTE speeds, but good enough for a smartphone.

Oh, and I should note that this is well inside an office building. I'm sure performance would have been better outdoors.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
1313867477034.jpg

Septiformus

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The issue isn't with the 4g, it's with the 3g Antenna.
Everyone is saying how much better their phone signal is with the photon, which while looking at it, it would seem so.
BUT
Look at the signal, then call your voicemail, if yours is like mine, the signal drops when using the phone, the signal during IDLE is a lie, and actually turning on my 4g antenna shows the correct cell signal.
I tried this with 3 photons at the sprint store, the one on the small display, the one on the HD dock, and one that one of the employees had. All had the same issue of the bars dropping when making a call if 4G wasn't on.

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I am getting the wifi problem too. I can't turn on wifi in my house, it shuts down all the other computers, or the router. I thought it might be a AirRave problem, do you have an AirRave. May be a temporary problem for me, I may go to S2 when it comes out. Can't use the 4G in the house, it isn't compatible with AirRave and couldn't get good signal without it.

Can anyone confirm that while connected with 4G that your signal is may be two bars at best. I have been missing calls and going to roaming mode because of this. As soon as I turn 4G off I get full bars. Add to the problems that this phone has.

On a side note, the wifi keeps messing up the router. I have turned of the sleep mode option but still need to test.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am getting the wifi problem too. I can't turn on wifi in my house, it shuts down all the other computers, or the router. I thought it might be a AirRave problem, do you have an AirRave. May be a temporary problem for me, I may go to S2 when it comes out. Can't use the 4G in the house, it isn't compatible with AirRave and couldn't get good signal without it.

Weird. I have lousy cell coverage inside my house (courtesy of a metal roof) and use wifi all the time. Never had a problem. Nice speedy downloads.

I do not have AirRave.

I have had an issue where I was barely in 4g, and had lousy performance until I turned off the 4g radio. Then the phone made use of the strong 3g signal and performance was fine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar