Photos as Wallpapers

alphalog80

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello All. My wife recently picked up the Photon to replace her Pre and while she likes the phone the one thing that is really bothering her is that she cannot get a photo she's taken with the camera to look halfway decent as a wallpaper/background image. It always looks horrendously pixelated, which is probably partly due to the phone only letting her choose a small portion of the photo, which then gets blown up.

Does anyone have any tips or links they could share so that I can improve the image quality of her background when setting a photo as the wallpaper? Thanks in advance! :)

StraightWisdom

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issues, but also when I try to use any image to be set as something it screws up. For example I use handcent for my message app, but when I try to use an image for a background for one of my chats.. the image defaults to my home screen background and not my background for my chat.

ksom262523

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to select a much bigger area. The selection box's size can be changed. On thing you cannot change is the proportion of the sides.

Sent from mobile

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I had better luck selecting the portion of a photo that I wanted using quickpic (free) than using the stock photo app. It works better for looking at photos, too. It seems more focused on using photos on the phone, and less on using social media.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to select a much bigger area. The selection box's size can be changed. On thing you cannot change is the proportion of the sides.

Sent from mobile

Right, but it's still only selecting a *square*. (Rhetorical question next) Why can't it just use the full photo as displayed on the phone (banging head against the table)???? Certainly that makes more sense than blowing up a square to fit on a rectangle. I realize they are probably doing that because when you swipe from side to side to get to different screens, the picture moves in that direction too, but I'd rather just have the full picture there vs half of my kid's face.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I realize they are probably doing that because when you swipe from side to side to get to different screens, the picture moves in that direction too, but I'd rather just have the full picture there vs half of my kid's face.
pretty sure this is it. maybe there's some skin you can get that does it differently?
Or maybe you need to root the phone to do that?

I just decided to use a photo that worked with the motion thing, which meant the one I had on the pre wasn't ideal, so I picked something else. Maybe a family shot with several smaller faces would work for you?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Try Multipicture Live Wallpaper (link) or Photo Slide Live Wallpaper (link). Both are free apps that allow you to do all sorts of things with photos as wallpaper. I have not used either, but I suspect they probably have settings to easily set a static image that fills the full screen.

Reactions: kmcochran