Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sleep of death

I just got my second Photon yesterday and experienced an issue I never had with the first one. I fully charged the phone, put the phone in the holster and went on with my day. A couple hours later I unholstered my phone just to check the time and it would not power on. I repeatedly pressed power, long pressed power and nothing. I wondered if the phone some how drained the battery in 2 hours. So I plugged it back into the charger and it still would not come on. I removed the charger, removed the battery and rebooted the phone. The phone came back on with almost a full battery. I was reading a post in XDA and the issue is being refered to as "sleep of death".

Does anyone else have this issue?

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default Re: Sleep of death

it's happened to me a handful of times - supposedly there's a fix coming...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ccrooks View Post
    All these issues with a "supposed fix coming soon" are beginning to get annoying.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

yea it happened to me a few times...this and the muted audio when you call out get annyoing
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It happened a few times to me today. This phone is going back to the hell hole from which it came.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

yes, and this is better than the evo 3d.

HA

Quote Originally Posted by ccrooks View Post

Me too, but I've realized it happens less often when I have wifi turned on and usually when it's on the charger at night. It seams to be the only time it does it for me, it's maybe happened three times since I've owned the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by dkmrules View Post
    yes, and this is better than the evo 3d.

HA
    It is.
    ScandaLeX likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

This happened to me a couple of days ago. One difference however, is that when I tried to power it on again the bottom menu lights lit up but the screen wouldn't power on.

Only thing I was able to do was take the battery out and restart it.

I had the same thing happen to me also,i took my first photon into sprint an they told me they thought it was some apps that were causing the problem(juice-defender and lookout security)LOL,are you serious! That wasnt the problem,took it back,got a new and its doing the same thing.Here's what i found out,on a battery pull to restart the phone i turned the phone upside down with cover off(battery facing the floor)the battery moved slightly outward! so i took a piece of tape and secured it in and havent had that problem since,its been 3-days.Make know mistake im still gonna exchange the phone until i get one that doesnt have a design flaw! HOPE THIS HELPED.......
    Thanked by 2:

yeah it did not happen to my first photon but when i got my second one this started happening when it was in its holster at work i would only take it out on breaks and it would be off.

But yeah supposedly mid august lolz we are supposed to get an update

It is way passed mid August! Come on Motorola!

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    It is way passed mid August! Come on Motorola!
    It started today, it might be a while before it comes to you but you'll need a wifi connection to update

Thanked by:
    bcbbanga4l likes this.

My phone has powered down 3 times in 24 hours and I have been unable to power back up without removing the battery. I came from a Pre and this is my first android product and I was willing to give it a chance, but I got so fed up I called my sprint store to see if I could exchange for another photon that (hopefully) would work. My rep said they are not changing these phones out because it is a "known issue" and all the phones are doing it. He said an update would be coming out any day now and would fix the issue. My 30 day return window closes on 8/30- I am skeptical they will be able to fix all the issues that seem to cropping up (I also have proximity sensor issues) and may just jump ship from sprint and go to Verizon for an iphone. I have been with Sprint for 12 years and would stay if they had the iphone or a phone that actually worked the way I needed it to. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by Michellebell; 08-21-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: misspelling

Sprint has plenty of phones that work the way you need them to, but it may not be the one you want.

If you want an iphone wait until the iphone 5 comes out in Oct. It would be dumb to get the 4 now.

Another option is the SGS2 will be out 9/9.

Sent from my Photon
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I will be jumping ship from Sprint. My 30 days are not up till Sept. 11th and hopefully T-mobile will get the Galaxy S II by then. Returning the Phonton there by making my 2 year agreement null and void!!!!

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

i think the only times this has happened to me is when i've left the phone in an area where it gets crappy signal for an extended period of time. at work, i have to lock my phone up outside of the lab in a file cabinet and when i forget to turn the radios off, the phone sometimes goes to sleep of death. every time i've turned airplane mode on before locking it up, it's come back with no problem.
    kenpbuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andoman View Post
    It started today, it might be a while before it comes to you but you'll need a wifi connection to update

Wait this update is out already? LIke not the rooted version but an actual update?

Yeah I have not gotten it either.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbbanga4l View Post
    Wait this update is out already? LIke not the rooted version but an actual update?
    They pushed it back due to some unknown problem.

Dang! I think this just happened to my Photon. Have only had it 4.5hrs. Wifi was off and kid was playing Cut the Rope. He turned it off and it wouldn't come back on. I did a battery pull (had to really wrangle the back off) and it still wouldn't come on. A few minutes later kid picked it up and it came back on and rebooted.

Hope this doesn't happen again!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

OTA update and...FAIL!!!!!!
    WTF!!!!

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvoRoy View Post
    OTA update and...FAIL!!!!!!
    WTF!!!!
    same...