Putting Ripped DVDs on the Photon

Jeepdude1

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone put any ripped DVD's on the Photon yet? If so, what software are you using to rip the DVDs? Around how much room does each movie take? How long can you watch a movie with the radios turned off before the battery dies? Is there a built in video player? I can't seem to be able to find the video player on the phone.

I know a lot of questions, but I am going on a trip Monday and want to watch a movie on my phone when on the airplane.

Thanks for any help,
Bryan

Walter E Kurtz

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you ripped movies before? Each movie is usually ~700mb. Video files can be played through the gallery app, it shows pics and vids either on SD or the internal storage. The Engadget review mentions that video playback looped went for 5 1/2 hours.

I put an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in 720p on the Photon and would play the video, stuttering a little, but it wouldn't play the sound. Then I tried another show, non hd and it played fine. I don't know why it says it can playback 1080p, but I haven't found the right file that actually will play that.

Reactions: Jeepdude1

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you ripped movies before? Each movie is usually ~700mb. Video files can be played through the gallery app, it shows pics and vids either on SD or the internal storage. The Engadget review mentions that video playback looped went for 5 1/2 hours.

I put an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm in 720p on the Photon and would play the video, stuttering a little, but it wouldn't play the sound. Then I tried another show, non hd and it played fine. I don't know why it says it can playback 1080p, but I haven't found the right file that actually will play that.

It can play 1080p. The video just has to be encoded in the correct format. Try finding some movie trailers in 1080p. The Photon's pentile screen looks crappy on lower resolution videos and also videos with dark scenes. On HD videos 720p and up the Photon does looks fantastic.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone put any ripped DVD's on the Photon yet? If so, what software are you using to rip the DVDs? Around how much room does each movie take? How long can you watch a movie with the radios turned off before the battery dies? Is there a built in video player? I can't seem to be able to find the video player on the phone.

I know a lot of questions, but I am going on a trip Monday and want to watch a movie on my phone when on the airplane.

Thanks for any help,
Bryan

The "gallery" is the video player. Alternatively you can download "moboplayer" free from the market that will play almost any video format.
You can watch close to 6 hrs on battery time.

Jeepdude1

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I didn't know the video player was in the galary app.

I have never ripped a DVD yet and was just wondering what everyone else has been using for the ripping software as well.

Another question while I am thinking about it...is there a recommended speed class of Micro SD you should get for video? I would imagine class 10 is the best, but do you need that speed? What is the max speed the phone can read the Micro SD? I haven't been able to find any details about it.

Thanks again,
Bryan

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I not familiar with the legal issues with ripping dvd on this board so I won't address it . You might ask that question or search for that info at VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists. They have a fountain of information over there.

Also ripping dvd is not the same as converting which is what you need to do for it to play on the Photon. The Photon will play mp4 (baseline profile), avi, mkv, and mov formats natively. Just convert it to one of these formats and it should play.

Micro sd speed will not matter much for video viewing. It might be useful for video (HD) recording (camcorder basically). That said I never had any problem viewing or recording video with my class 2 SanDisk micro sd.